Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
I'M IN!
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
136515 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 120 Next page Last page  View All

hamholio

Feb 15, 2007, 5:08 PM

Post #151 of 2979 (22778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [renapoo] Amherst! Can't Post

I'm starting to feel bitter.

Yeah, ditto.

Congrats, everyone, but I hate you all. :-)

EastCoastPoet

Feb 15, 2007, 6:15 PM

Post #152 of 2979 (22695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hamholio] Amherst! Can't Post

I third that motion...*sigh*

Tapeworm

Feb 15, 2007, 7:56 PM

Post #153 of 2979 (22585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EastCoastPoet] Amherst! Can't Post

I want the 15 bucks back I just used to express them my TA application.

texasgurl
Stacy Patton Anderson

Feb 16, 2007, 1:30 PM

Post #154 of 2979 (22326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tapeworm] Amherst! Can't Post

Everybody relax. Things are just barely rolling here, and even if people are getting in at the school where you're absolutely dying to go, you're not rejected until you're holding that rejection letter in your hand. My story: Last year and got into about half the places I applied. I didn't start in 2006 because I ended up having a baby due in October, but I deferred at one school and this year I'm re-applying at another.

So, last year, I heard not a single word from one of my top choices: Minnesota. By April, I assumed I was rejected and, because it's a big university I just hadn't received my letter yet. April 14th I got 3 phone messages and an email from the program director, saying there had been some sort of administrative glitch resulting in either "a long silence" or a rejection, but, they wanted to offer me a place in the class of 2006. So, it ain't over 'til it's over.

Stacy Patton Anderson
http://family-of-five.com

HopperFu

Feb 16, 2007, 1:58 PM

Post #155 of 2979 (22272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [texasgurl] Amherst! Can't Post

I'm with texasgurl here. I know the anxiety - I went through this last year - but do NOT assume you are rejected based on other people reporting they got in. First of all, this is way early in the process. Second of all, a number of schools notify in multiple ways - through phone calls AND postal or email - and many do not notify those on the waitlist.

umass76

Feb 16, 2007, 2:56 PM

Post #156 of 2979 (22180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HopperFu] Amherst! Can't Post

Received a call today from UMass with an acceptance in poetry(!)

I agree with HopperFu... nothing's ever over until you're holding a rejection letter in your hand. Seriously. When I heard a poetry acceptance had gone out from UMass 2/14 by phone, I thought, well, that's it, it's over. Then someone else heard 2/15. And then I heard 2/16. So everyone, stay strong (!) and remember that just because a school reports one acceptance doesn't mean many, many others aren't coming over the next few weeks and even months(!) Continued good luck to everyone on the board, may you all get into your top choices(!),

S.

HopperFu

Feb 16, 2007, 3:00 PM

Post #157 of 2979 (22169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [umass76] Amherst! Can't Post

In Reply To
Received a call today from UMass with an acceptance in poetry(!)

Congrats, Seth. I'm pretty sure you said they were your top choice, so that's wonderful.

EastCoastPoet

Feb 16, 2007, 3:15 PM

Post #158 of 2979 (22134 views)
Shortcut

Hey Seth, question. Did they change your status at all on the check your application status website? I'm wondering if they've bothered to do that. If so I'll stop checking mine and consider it squashed.

umass76

Feb 16, 2007, 3:21 PM

Post #159 of 2979 (22115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EastCoastPoet] Amherst! Can't Post

Hopper,
Hey there...yes, it's definitely one of my very top choices, I love the program for many reasons (not least of which is, I'm a lifelong New Englander, specifically MA born-and-bred)...though I can honestly say that even I don't know what my "top top" choice is yet(!) There are so many factors (as I'm sure you know)! I'll have to see what happens. In any event, I'm just happy someone wanted me, and I'm really pulling for everyone else here to have things work out...!

ECP: No, status hasn't changed yet, so I'm guessing the call precedes any website notification...my sense is that the order is (based on the phone call): phone call, you get a letter, then website changes.
S.

(This post was edited by umass76 on Feb 16, 2007, 3:22 PM)

ecphraticknolls

Feb 16, 2007, 3:59 PM

Post #160 of 2979 (22056 views)
Shortcut

Seth,
What other schools did you apply to this year? (I'm not sure if you posted before... but I am kind of interested given the rankings you did and such)

(edit... forgot to say why I was listing schools, heh) If anyone is interested, I applied to [in poetry]:

Iowa Writer's Workshop
University of Oregon
Notre Dame
University of Washington
Washington University in St. Louis
University of Florida
University of Indiana
University of Michigan
University of Montana
University of Texas--Michener Program
Colorado State
Florida State
Eastern Washington University

(This post was edited by ecphraticknolls on Feb 16, 2007, 4:02 PM)

umass76

Feb 16, 2007, 4:35 PM

Post #161 of 2979 (21991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecphraticknolls] Amherst! Can't Post

EC,

One clarification/caveat...you have to remember that I only did three rankings: one which was merely a poll using data from here and Live Journal; one which synthesized information taken directly from Tom Kealey's excellent The Creative Writing MFA Handbook (i.e., I used his valuations and, for the "top twenty," his actual rankings); and one which averaged the two polls (that would be the so-called "TSE Composite" rankings). I can't claim to have had a hand in which schools got ranked where, beyond a few judgment calls where Kealey was particularly vague (i.e., as to whether School A or School B was "better" in his estimation; oddly, very few such issues arose in the top twenty rankings). Anyhow, I think I did mention this on the "rankings" thread, but I'll re-post it here...I applied to (in no particular order): UMass, UVA, Michigan, Iowa, Cornell, Brown, and JHU.
S.

piratelizzy

Feb 16, 2007, 4:38 PM

Post #162 of 2979 (21977 views)
Shortcut

Well done, Seth. Congratulations.

'sup?!

ecphraticknolls

Feb 16, 2007, 5:04 PM

Post #163 of 2979 (21921 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, well, I mostly found it interesting based of the amount of time you have spent looking at the schools.

ecphraticknolls

Feb 16, 2007, 5:17 PM

Post #164 of 2979 (21898 views)
Shortcut

And, Congrats!

dewo82

Feb 16, 2007, 5:46 PM

Post #165 of 2979 (21852 views)
Shortcut
First rejection Can't Post

Received my first rejection, from UBC, by email. Part of me is relieved... at least I know something from one school, the majority of me is now freaking out about hearing from everyone else.
Ugh.

userunknown

Feb 16, 2007, 6:21 PM

Post #166 of 2979 (21816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dewo82] First rejection Can't Post

What school is UBC?

augustmaria

Feb 16, 2007, 7:18 PM

Post #167 of 2979 (21756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecphraticknolls] Amherst! Can't Post

University of Indiana doesn't exist. :(

ecphraticknolls

Feb 16, 2007, 7:44 PM

Post #168 of 2979 (21725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [augustmaria] Amherst! Can't Post

Sorry, that is IU... typo from a while ago (this is the list I created in December... aside from Eastern Washington, which I applied to in a moment of anxiety)

dewo82

Feb 16, 2007, 9:14 PM

Post #169 of 2979 (21661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [userunknown] First rejection Can't Post

Sorry, Univ of British Columbia, in Vancouver.

papichulo

Feb 16, 2007, 9:30 PM

Post #170 of 2979 (21649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [motet] I'M IN! Can't Post

have lurked on this forum for about a year now, since I started the application process...I haven't seen anyone else post about this school yet, but I'm in at American University (fiction)! The word on $$$ is to "contact the financial aid office." I guess I should send my FAFSA thing out soon.

Notified by snail mail--apparently it was mailed to my permanent address in California 2 weeks ago (letter is dated Feb. 6th). My stepmom just went through my pile of mail last night, opened the very thin letter of acceptance, and emailed it to me as an attachment.

gasolinefight

Feb 17, 2007, 10:33 AM

Post #171 of 2979 (21485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [papichulo] I'M IN! Can't Post

Congrats! Sounds like a pleasant surprise to find something like that in the mail pile.

I guess thin envelopes aren't always impending doom.

ecphraticknolls

Feb 17, 2007, 11:26 AM

Post #172 of 2979 (21438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nerdytina] I'M IN! Can't Post

Someone got a call from Iowa for poetry on the Blog site/grad cafe… it might be a fake (since there is no history on this person… and they didn’t post here…) but who knows.

::Checks phone messages::

Nothing… o well

Edit: Well, it looks like this is when some of the first acceptances rolled in last year… I was under the impression that they came later from some of the compiled lists I looked at. So, there is a good chance it is legit…I suppose we will see.

(This post was edited by ecphraticknolls on Feb 17, 2007, 12:06 PM)

asneth

Feb 17, 2007, 12:21 PM

Post #173 of 2979 (21390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HopperFu] Amherst! Can't Post

This is one of those "It isn't over till its over" posts,

Because last year I applied to a handful of schools and by the end of March had only received a handful of rejections. I was pretty certain that I was going to ridiculously depressed and certain that I wasn't cut out for the mfa track yet.

Then, miraculously, I received TWO letters from my two top choices (The New School and the U of Pittsburgh) in the end of MARCH both offering admittance and nice financial aid packages. I was certain that since my second choices had rejected me, there was no way the two programs that I was most interested in would want me.

So, things happen.

bighark

Feb 17, 2007, 12:56 PM

Post #174 of 2979 (21364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecphraticknolls] I'M IN! Can't Post

Iowa is a big program, and they have a lot of people to notify. This is definitely the time of year when notifications from Iowa start to trickle in, but I wouldn't worry about not having heard anything.

I mean, there's like 25 poets they have to reach. That's not all going to happen in one day.

HopperFu

Feb 17, 2007, 12:57 PM

Post #175 of 2979 (21362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecphraticknolls] I'M IN! Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, it looks like this is when some of the first acceptances rolled in last year…

going by when I heard last year, acceptances in fiction for Iowa and Michigan should arrive next week.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 120 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved