Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
I'M IN!
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
137174 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 120 Next page Last page  View All

drinkwater

Feb 6, 2007, 6:58 AM

Post #76 of 2979 (23389 views)
Shortcut
Re: I'M IN! Can't Post

email acceptance from UNC-Wilmington 2/06, nonfiction, no funding offer yet.

whiskeytown

Feb 6, 2007, 9:07 AM

Post #77 of 2979 (23351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drinkwater] I'M IN! Can't Post

Congrats, drinkwater. UNC-W is a great place for nonfiction. Sarah Messer and David Gessner are wonderful, generous souls. (Two good friends are somewhat recent grads there, both with books now.)

drinkwater

Feb 6, 2007, 10:21 AM

Post #78 of 2979 (23304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whiskeytown] I'M IN! Can't Post

Thanks, whiskeytown. It's good to know your friends had positive experiences there. Wilmington is definitely far more committed to nonfiction than many other programs. It'll all come down to funding for me, though.

muttonfish

Feb 6, 2007, 10:42 AM

Post #79 of 2979 (23282 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations Drink. The program appears to be increasing in popularity/reputation, and the town looks beautiful. Out of curiosity, how long ago did you apply? I just sent my application last week, right before the deadline in fact, and was wondering if you could offer a ballpark timeline regarding your wait. Thanks

malber

Feb 6, 2007, 10:43 AM

Post #80 of 2979 (23280 views)
Shortcut

yeah, congrats. it would be sweet to live in N.C. instead of the arctic north that is Michigan.

Arkinese

Feb 6, 2007, 1:09 PM

Post #81 of 2979 (23192 views)
Shortcut

Congrats! I hope you get a great funding offer.

drinkwater

Feb 6, 2007, 2:43 PM

Post #82 of 2979 (23115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [muttonfish] I'M IN! Can't Post

I sent off my application on January 2nd, so they had it a full month before admitting me. Yours is probably still in the mix.

The town does look like a warm and relaxed place to spend a couple years and the program is indeed on the rise. Wilmington's looking better and better to me all the time.

OneWriter

Feb 6, 2007, 3:00 PM

Post #83 of 2979 (23090 views)
Shortcut

I believe UNC-W is letting some early applicants know of admissions, and I'm told they are still reading some of their more recent applications. If last year's trend is any indication, I imagine anyone who hasn't heard back should get the word no later than around the first week or so of March.

piratelizzy

Feb 6, 2007, 3:59 PM

Post #84 of 2979 (23031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OneWriter] I'M IN! Can't Post

Somehow I have the impression that early applicants end up with better chances of getting in. If some programs are still reading but already admitting applicants from among their earliest submissions, then it seems like there's a chance they will run out of slots to offer people before they finish reading everyone's apps.

Isn't this model called "rolling admissions"? Or else, how is it possible to start offering admission before reading everyone's submissions?

'sup?!

Mainer

Feb 6, 2007, 4:23 PM

Post #85 of 2979 (23005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piratelizzy] I'M IN! Can't Post

Isn't this model called "rolling admissions"? Or else, how is it possible to start offering admission before reading everyone's submissions?
=========================================

It might be "rolling," in a limited sense. I'm sure every manuscript is read, so I don't think all available slots are filled on a rolling basis.
MFA programs know students apply to several schools. In other words, they know they are in competition with other programs for their top choices. It makes sense for them to offer admission to very strong applicants as soon as possible. If an applicant is obviously a great fit, the program has nothing to gain from waiting. Might as well make a strong early impression and have plenty of time to convince the student the program is a good fit for them.

malber

Feb 6, 2007, 4:29 PM

Post #86 of 2979 (22996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mainer] I'M IN! Can't Post

yeah, when I talked to Ohio State this year, they said basically the same thing. Not that they're on rolling admissions, but they like getting their offers out early because the students can then have a lot of time to research their program, etc. And, as the guy told me, "you never forget your first offer" :) i think its true. Also, though, they seemed to genuinely want people to make an informed decision.

as far as a "Semi-rolling" admissions goes, it seems like that logic would fit too.

plumagemour

Feb 6, 2007, 4:35 PM

Post #87 of 2979 (22980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a2poet] I'M IN! Can't Post

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
what the hell, why is it that with all of my research, i somehow overlooked the fact that catherine bowman teaches at indiana and didnt apply there. bummer

piratelizzy

Feb 6, 2007, 4:48 PM

Post #88 of 2979 (22955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [malber] I'M IN! Can't Post

I think that, seeing what I see now, I would definitely make it a point to apply early if I had to do it again next year. Nothing would beat having a "Yes" right about now.

'sup?!

lculli18

Feb 7, 2007, 3:36 PM

Post #89 of 2979 (22771 views)
Shortcut

According to the UNCW website FAQ:

"I read on a blog that another applicant has already been accepted to UNCW's MFA program, but I haven't yet received a decision. Should I interpret this to mean that I am on a waitlist, or will be rejected? No, emphatically not! We receive MFA applications in batches, as they are processed by our Graduate School, rather than all at once. This means we review applications and notify applicants on a "rolling basis." If you have not yet heard from us, it most likely means we have not yet reviewed your application."

OneWriter

Feb 7, 2007, 4:21 PM

Post #90 of 2979 (22729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lculli18] I'M IN! Can't Post

I'm glad the whole UNCW question is all cleared up! It's nice knowing others have been accepted to programs and that programs are already notifying applicants; but I would venture a guess that the feeling is rivaled by the sense of dread that someone else has heard something and you haven't.

Information superhighway, you are a boon and a bane.

lculli18

Feb 7, 2007, 4:29 PM

Post #91 of 2979 (22720 views)
Shortcut

Well, they may just be being kind-- but I'll take it!

At least now I'll sleep a little easier for the next few weeks until my (rejection) letter comes!

malber

Feb 7, 2007, 4:37 PM

Post #92 of 2979 (22713 views)
Shortcut

speaking as someone who has heard, I can say it's both good and bad. Of course, people who haven't heard will probably hate me for complaining, but ever since I heard I've been on this g.d. message board non stop. I can't stop worrying about WHERE i'll end up, now that I know it'll be somewhere. I wouldn't trade it, mind you, I was just able to push the worry out of my head before... now, here's my list of concerns:

my car lease, a new apartment, my SO's job, meeting new people, finding a new chinese takeout place that has the crab rangoons like i like, money for moving, my family is here, all my friends are here, what if i suck, et al.

so take it from me: once you hear, your concerns and worry are temporarily relieved and then they are replaced with other concerns, more concrete concerns.

malber

Feb 7, 2007, 4:42 PM

Post #93 of 2979 (22702 views)
Shortcut

i hereby retract that last post, as it makes me sound too whiney and ungrateful.

i wish to be neither.

(This post was edited by malber on Feb 7, 2007, 8:13 PM)

OliviaKate

Feb 7, 2007, 5:26 PM

Post #94 of 2979 (22652 views)
Shortcut

Hey malber, I don't think your comments make you sound "whiney and ingrateful"... I totally sympathize with (and share) your anxieties... I feel as though my life is on this strange, existential pause button....and will be until I get an answer from each of the 11 schools I applied to.... oh, life.

good luck setting up your new life in the months ahead!:)

(This post was edited by OliviaKate on Feb 7, 2007, 5:29 PM)

mares

Feb 7, 2007, 7:59 PM

Post #95 of 2979 (22554 views)
Shortcut

no, not whiney and ungrateful....just normal.

i can totally relate to this. there's something sad, to me, about the idea of actually getting in somewhere. leaving my family and friends behind, hoping my SO can find a job there so he doesn't end up resenting me, money, and of course what if i suck?

i'd say you're in good company with this new set of worries, too.

but, hey, congratulations, damn it! :-)

twinparadox

Feb 10, 2007, 1:25 AM

Post #96 of 2979 (22317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [motet] I'M IN! Can't Post

I posted this elsewhere in another folder but I'll add it here as well...

Got the call on 1/27 from Minnesota that I'm IN! (Creative nonfiction)

As you probably all know, they fund everyone for all three years, so I'm a happy camper.

Haven't heard yet from Arizona, Iowa, and Colorado.

malber

Feb 10, 2007, 9:14 AM

Post #97 of 2979 (22268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [twinparadox] I'M IN! Can't Post

Yes, congrats!, if I haven't said so before.

BlueVelveeta

Feb 10, 2007, 4:44 PM

Post #98 of 2979 (22151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [twinparadox] I'M IN! Can't Post

Congratulations! Minnesota has a wonderful program, and I have many friends who have great affection for Minneapolis.

unitvector
Sarah

Feb 11, 2007, 3:01 PM

Post #99 of 2979 (21985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [motet] I'M IN! Can't Post

I just found out about this forum today, and I'm glad that it exists. I've just been sitting around refreshing my email box and wondering if I was the only one who didn't know anything.

However, I got a call from Cornell on Friday. I'm in! Fiction, tuition + $18,000 and a job at their magazine.

renapoo

Feb 11, 2007, 3:05 PM

Post #100 of 2979 (21983 views)
Shortcut
Re: [unitvector] I'M IN! Can't Post

F***!!!

I mean, congratulations. That's amazing.

But F***!!! I think my heart just stopped. Cornell. Friday. Wow. Awesome. Jealous. Very.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 120 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved