Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
I'M IN!
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
137112 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 120 Next page Last page  View All

Arkinese

Feb 1, 2007, 6:05 PM

Post #51 of 2979 (23450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [malber] I'M IN! Can't Post

I'm with you. I hate my mailbox because it never gives what I want. I was disappointed the other day when I got two writing books. You think I'd be happy to read them and kill some time. Hey, you should tell us more about your graphic novel in the "Waiting Game" thread. We can all encourage you and it will take our minds off the Ides of February and March.

a2poet

Feb 3, 2007, 1:35 PM

Post #52 of 2979 (23274 views)
Shortcut
I'M IN! Can't Post

Just recieved a call from Catherine Bowman at Indiana University on a snowy Saturday afternoon and I'M IN (along with a phat teaching assistantship) for poetry!! I'm so excited that I don't know what to do with myself-- although it does seem like a good bottle of something is in order.

Still waiting on:
Brown
University of Michigan
Notre Dame
University of Virginia
Syracuse
Sarah Lawrence
Virginia Tech
American University
University of Kansas
Texas State

http://mwicker.blogspot.com/

coolshoes

Feb 3, 2007, 1:43 PM

Post #53 of 2979 (23270 views)
Shortcut
Waiting Can't Post

I know it's hard, but relax, everyone....it is really NOT so late to be hearing. When I applied last year, I did not hear from anyone until mid-February and that was only from one school. The others (5 yes, one no) all dribbled in later in Feb but mostly in March. Good luck all.

LateApplicant

Feb 3, 2007, 2:02 PM

Post #54 of 2979 (23250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a2poet] I'M IN! Can't Post

"Congratulations" seems too small a word !!! The certainty of getting in to a program as good as Indiana's, on Feb. 3 ? Wow! That's amazing !!! Now you can just enjoy, and see where the other chips fall... What's your first choice, by the way? (Just curiosity; I'm fiction anyway).

wildflowerfever

Feb 3, 2007, 2:03 PM

Post #55 of 2979 (23248 views)
Shortcut

Ahh! Congrats!

Now I can't stop staring at my phone, willing it to ring.
Do you know if they're notifying everyone today?

EastCoastPoet

Feb 3, 2007, 2:17 PM

Post #56 of 2979 (23235 views)
Shortcut

RING PHONE RING! Come on guys...Teresa called me earlier this week...pick up the phone again...I know you know my damn number...hahaha...Now I don't know if I can enjoy my day off

ecphraticknolls

Feb 3, 2007, 2:32 PM

Post #57 of 2979 (23227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EastCoastPoet] I'M IN! Can't Post

Yeah, I know... "RING!"

ecphraticknolls

Feb 3, 2007, 2:38 PM

Post #58 of 2979 (23223 views)
Shortcut

I dunno, on some level I’m skeptical of this…

didn’t they just tell you “they would be making decisions by the end of February and early March via phone call.”

They also might have some non-traditional way of telling people… because it seems that there was one acceptance rather early last year, and then the rest didn’t roll in until about the time she told you…

(This post was edited by ecphraticknolls on Feb 3, 2007, 2:40 PM)

EastCoastPoet

Feb 3, 2007, 2:46 PM

Post #59 of 2979 (23213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecphraticknolls] I'M IN! Can't Post

The only possibilities are: 1) LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE! (childish, I know), 2) This person is an incredible poet or something (I'd like to find out for myself), or 3) I don't know...Jesus, just call? I know Indiana is like 4th on the list, but call!

ecphraticknolls

Feb 3, 2007, 2:51 PM

Post #60 of 2979 (23211 views)
Shortcut

Well, since I don’t seem to be getting a call… I hope there is just an early acceptance like last year =(

and, yeah, Indiana isn’t at the very top of my list either… but they have great funding opportunities which make them a very real possibility…
and, hell, I’d love to get in somewhere this early…
and, who knows if I‘ll get in anywhere else good…
and, all my other insecurities…

a2poet

Feb 3, 2007, 3:18 PM

Post #61 of 2979 (23197 views)
Shortcut

Hey man, there's no need for all the dramatic hoopla-- I'll be happy for you when you're in at your top picks. Trust me, the phone call was surreal for me too (considering the date). Catherine also informed me that they just added Ross Gay to the faculty so if you're a fan, that's something to look forward to should you get that RING RING RING that you're looking for.

http://mwicker.blogspot.com/

malber

Feb 3, 2007, 3:54 PM

Post #62 of 2979 (23172 views)
Shortcut

Hey congrats. Its understandable that people get jumpy around this kind of news (we all have similar, yet competing, interests after all)... but hey: i'm sure you worked hard for this. enjoy it with a stiff drink. I recommend a lovely scotch.

ecphraticknolls

Feb 3, 2007, 4:10 PM

Post #63 of 2979 (23165 views)
Shortcut

Naw man, congrats. I recommend a single malt scotch, or a good cognac.

I was just continuing some of the thoughts I was having about the Indiana acceptance date in the “waiting game” thread. Someone was accepted on the 7th of Feb. last year, and then the rest of the acceptances didn’t roll in until a lot later… so there is still some hope for the rest of us who didn‘t get calls…

(although, on the positive side… I got a really positive e-mail from another school—not as high ranked, but it is one of those ‘sleeper’ schools that people on this forum talk about—that I’m not willing to post yet… since I’m not officially in… that I probably would pick over Indiana, if I got funding…)

Arkinese

Feb 3, 2007, 7:10 PM

Post #64 of 2979 (23091 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations! I'm applying there in fiction so I'm like everyone else....RING PHONE RING! But you should definitely take yourself (and any others you want to share with) out for a big fancy dinner tonight with lots of wine and excellent food to celebrate.

(This post was edited by Arkinese on Feb 3, 2007, 7:14 PM)

augustmaria

Feb 3, 2007, 9:04 PM

Post #65 of 2979 (23049 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations! It was just announced a couple days ago that Ross Gay will join the faculty in the fall--everyone really really liked him when he came to read a couple weeks ago, so the poetry people are all happy about that. Let me know if you have any IU/Bloomington questions.

Tapeworm

Feb 5, 2007, 11:27 AM

Post #66 of 2979 (22851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [augustmaria] I'M IN! Can't Post

The primary thing I am worried about, if I don't get accepted anywhere, is finding a job. I will be getting my undergraduate degree in May, and I know a ton of people who are already getting interviews for jobs. I'm all like, "AGhhh." Luckily, in the past half year, I've secured a comfy position at the local Dairy Queen. In fact, forget the MFA, Waffle Cones are ready to make their big premier. ohchristsomeoneacceptmepleasefortheloveofGod.

ecphraticknolls

Feb 5, 2007, 12:05 PM

Post #67 of 2979 (22810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tapeworm] I'M IN! Can't Post

You can always get a teaching job or whatever… even if it is just substituting… it will pay better than dq

BarlArten

Feb 5, 2007, 12:17 PM

Post #68 of 2979 (22789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecphraticknolls] I'M IN! Can't Post

Try teaching ESL. In most decent-sized cities there are plenty of jobs, and while it often doesn't pay extravagantly, the class schedules are usually flexible. Also, you'll meet interesting people, learn a lot about English, and sleep well knowing you've earned your money.

ellen362

Feb 5, 2007, 12:43 PM

Post #69 of 2979 (22759 views)
Shortcut

There's no more valuable service than providing ice cream. It makes people happy. You are appreciated.

An Iowa City DQ was hit by a tornado on April 13th. Drivers crept by to stare at the downed trees and power lines, the tufts of wet insulation like cotton candy picked apart and discarded by a roller-coaster-dizzy kid at a State Fair, to slowly drive over debris and try to glimpse the twisted tin roof sinking in the river beyond...to search for rhyme or reason in the places the tornado touched down, to construct a chronology of the path, and to mourn at the general ruins of this fragile yet iconic symbol of modern life, something innocuous from the past. Just our little Dairy Queen, if you don't mind; what did it do to deserve this? We felt its strong pulls on the heart strings of childhood, and grieved as a community at the irrevocability of this sudden destruction, blocks and blocks of damage, students homeless, which was marking time now in an undeniable way, and resetting the shared chronology of our lives..yet there was hope, too, visible from the crowded road, from the line of creeping cars crunching nervous tires over glass--the cinderblock walls and vintage neon sign, a tipsy vanilla ice cream cone like a dancing martini glass--were miraculously intact. Continuity amongst chaos.

The tornado touched down at the DQ, jumped the river and missed the Writer's Workshop by less than a mile. How these posts might otherwise have been different! As one student hyperbolically said, in reference to the general destruction: "this is our Katrina."

The DQ has since, fortunately, been rebuilt. I can't wait for summer, and a stop along the bike trail for a cone dipped in chocolate. It will have new meaning. Like college, I suppose, after you have been out awhile.

That said, food service is not in general a good career move, and there will still be better jobs around even if you don't go to grad school this year. Don't panic. Some people won't stay in the ones they get this spring, and spots open up later for other reasons. People always need good workers. Be persistent, and be enthusiastic. Good luck.

(This post was edited by ellen362 on Feb 5, 2007, 1:50 PM)

SweetJane

Feb 5, 2007, 12:49 PM

Post #70 of 2979 (22750 views)
Shortcut

If you have food service experience, wait tables! I would have been making almost as much as I do at my full time library assistant job (which is more than I'd be making editing or substituting--I had job offers in each) if I'd chosen to do so after graduation and I was always inspired to write when I waitressed, unlike these days, when I spend most of my time sitting at a desk. Something about being exhausted and surrounded by really strange, irritating customers makes for great material.

Of course, getting accepted is always better than any of these things!

In Reply To
The primary thing I am worried about, if I don't get accepted anywhere, is finding a job. I will be getting my undergraduate degree in May, and I know a ton of people who are already getting interviews for jobs. I'm all like, "AGhhh." Luckily, in the past half year, I've secured a comfy position at the local Dairy Queen. In fact, forget the MFA, Waffle Cones are ready to make their big premier. ohchristsomeoneacceptmepleasefortheloveofGod.

SJ

"Oh, all the poets they studied rules of verse
and those ladies, they rolled their eyes"

ecphraticknolls

Feb 5, 2007, 12:49 PM

Post #71 of 2979 (22747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] I'M IN! Can't Post

Yes… especially in the middle of winter…

Around here they have all these ads where hot food is popping out of their classic ice cream deserts… I find the whole thing to be rather unappetizing.

Tapeworm

Feb 5, 2007, 1:47 PM

Post #72 of 2979 (22693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] I'M IN! Can't Post

In Reply To

An Iowa City DQ

Yo, yo. I work at the DQ in Ames, IA. We should mail each other some Cool Treats to see whose tastes better.

malber

Feb 5, 2007, 3:49 PM

Post #73 of 2979 (22614 views)
Shortcut
come now... Can't Post

everyday, i get excited to check out P&W... see what's happening, who's heard what, etc. especially this thread because i mean, come on, we're all waiting... and everytime there's a new message i click in, really eager to see who is making calls that day...

my point is: dairy queen? really? the ol' dq in Ames, IA? that's what i got excited about?

feeling scrooge-y.

v1ctorya

Feb 5, 2007, 4:22 PM

Post #74 of 2979 (22580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [malber] come now... Can't Post

Oh My. DQ is faboo, used to love it when I was younger. They don't have those upstate NY where I lived in the ultimate teen years, but we had Friendly's, same conceptish. A while after I realized what reading meant I read this story about Friendly's that made me go "wow, golly gee, there is awesome drama anywhere isn't there" and writing made sense. I read it again recently and got all teary nostaligic eyed, and looked at the author - Gregory Maguire, Mr. Grown-up fairytale himself.

So go work at DQ my man, and become the writer that only frozen confections can make you. I only wish I could join you.

EastCoastPoet

Feb 6, 2007, 2:21 AM

Post #75 of 2979 (22431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [motet] I'M IN! Can't Post

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but according to Seth Abramson's blog, someone has heard from Emerson. Any idea who or in what? No news on the e-campus site, so I'm not gonna worry yet.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 120 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved