Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Hunter College MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
136374 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

annie0

Feb 25, 2008, 4:54 PM

Post #76 of 151 (6080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vmalone] Hunter College MFA...question? Can't Post

I think I will PM you, if you don't mind, I would love to discuss this some more. What an absurd process this all is!

sr393

Feb 25, 2008, 6:55 PM

Post #77 of 151 (6051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annie0] Hunter College MFA...question? Can't Post

Congrats Annie and Vanessa! I didn't hear anything from them today, I am super sad to report. I think that Hunter's program is amazing. (Um, and the Hertog Fellowship? It's a huge deal, so double congrats.) You are both so lucky.

------
Suzanne
http://offthebeatensubwaytrack.com

vmalone
Vanessa

Feb 25, 2008, 9:23 PM

Post #78 of 151 (6018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sas998] Hunter College MFA...question? Can't Post

SAS, I applied in memoir (each genre i gather notifies separately with phone calls from their heads), and the initial call and email i got said long list- but then in our phone conversation Ms DeSalvo said Hunter didnt have waitlists, so this whole process is a mystery. I only interpreted her phone call as a positive because she said she could offer me the Hertog, but she didnt sound in any way, like they had all their decisions made. She just said they were trying to get their classes together early this year. so dont give up hope! who knows what else is coming from them? For all I know, i could be booted from their list ( i have no happy piece of acceptance paper in my hand).

sas998

Feb 26, 2008, 9:39 AM

Post #79 of 151 (5976 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
SAS, I applied in memoir (each genre i gather notifies separately with phone calls from their heads), and the initial call and email i got said long list- but then in our phone conversation Ms DeSalvo said Hunter didnt have waitlists, so this whole process is a mystery. I only interpreted her phone call as a positive because she said she could offer me the Hertog, but she didnt sound in any way, like they had all their decisions made. She just said they were trying to get their classes together early this year. so dont give up hope! who knows what else is coming from them? For all I know, i could be booted from their list ( i have no happy piece of acceptance paper in my hand).

Thank you so much for the reply! This was so kind of you!! And may I just add-- the Hertog fellowship!!?? That is amazing!!! Yesterday, in the midst of all of the maddness-- I had to close out this window because I was going nuts. Hunter is my number one for memoir but last night I talked myself into accepting whatever it is to come. Thanks again for giving me advice/hope!!

mzmeg

Feb 26, 2008, 7:42 PM

Post #80 of 151 (5927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sas998] Hunter College MFA...question? Can't Post

vmalone
Vanessa

Feb 27, 2008, 12:54 AM

Post #81 of 151 (5884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mzmeg] Hunter College MFA...question? Can't Post

mzmeg, can you put your post up again? it didnt show...

mzmeg

Feb 27, 2008, 12:17 PM

Post #82 of 151 (5843 views)
Shortcut

i was just going to say that my hunter check wasn't cashed until feb.20th.

mzmeg

Feb 27, 2008, 6:50 PM

Post #83 of 151 (5787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mzmeg] Hunter College MFA Can't Post

Has anyone heard anything else from Hunter: good/bad/ugly?

sr393

Feb 27, 2008, 8:09 PM

Post #84 of 151 (5765 views)
Shortcut

Not a peep, but I sadly suspect that the game is kind of over for those of us who haven't heard. I'm a cynic, though. As for the check cashing times, mine was cashed on Jan. 12, so I don't think that has much to do with when you will get any kind of response.

------
Suzanne

upsetme

Feb 27, 2008, 9:00 PM

Post #85 of 151 (5742 views)
Shortcut

I got the same "you're on the long-list, but if you say 'yes' right now I'll throw in a Hertog" phone call that's been discussed here. Pretty unprofessional and unethical, if you ask me, especially in light of AWP's agreed upon April 15 deadline for acceptance offers. Hunter, I'm told, is a signatory of AWP. When I told DeSalvo I wasn't making up my mind until I hear from all my schools, she said I basically had a week to decide. The next morning I got an email from her along the lines of "sorry, all six memoir spots are filed. Best of luck!" I thought I was in the market for higher education, not a used car. Apparently Hunter doesn't know the difference.

So to the Hunter memoir applicants who haven't heard anything, its safe to say the program is full. It could be worse, though, you could of got in.

In Reply To
Has anyone heard anything else from Hunter: good/bad/ugly?

pugalisious

Feb 27, 2008, 9:16 PM

Post #86 of 151 (5731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [upsetme] Hunter College MFA Can't Post

that's disgusting. after having read previous posts of this nature about hunter, and their $125 app. fee, I changed my mind about applying, and especially having read your experience, i'm certainly glad i did. thanks for sharing and cheering me up in this tense waiting period!

vmalone
Vanessa

Feb 27, 2008, 10:16 PM

Post #87 of 151 (5717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pugalisious] Hunter College MFA Can't Post

I think memoir may be set, but I haven't seen acceptances in fiction or poetry yet, so depending on your genre, there still appears to be lots of hope.

mzmeg

Feb 27, 2008, 11:38 PM

Post #88 of 151 (5691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vmalone] Hunter College MFA Can't Post

thanks for posting your experience, upsetme! this sheds some light on how their list process works. i wish you the best for the rest of your acceptances.

etak

Mar 7, 2008, 6:20 PM

Post #89 of 151 (5567 views)
Shortcut

I just heard today. Colum Mcann called and invited me to join the fiction program. I'm very excited about the program, but the shortlist wait was a bit taxing on my nerves.

smallfrog

Mar 7, 2008, 6:49 PM

Post #90 of 151 (5545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [etak] Hunter College MFA Can't Post

Etak, congratulations! I think it's an exciting program. When did you get get the shortlist notification, if you don't mind my asking?

etak

Mar 7, 2008, 7:11 PM

Post #91 of 151 (5533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smallfrog] Hunter College MFA Can't Post

I believe it was about 3 weeks ago. I received a call first from Carey, then from Mcann a week later. Then I was invited to a class. And then I received the call this morning.

vmalone
Vanessa

Mar 7, 2008, 7:40 PM

Post #92 of 151 (5507 views)
Shortcut

Congrats etak! I'm pretty sure I'm going to Hunter this fall in memoir. The more I learn about the program, the more excited I am.

smallfrog

Mar 7, 2008, 7:43 PM

Post #93 of 151 (5504 views)
Shortcut

That does sound nerve-wracking. You must be relieved, and a heck of a writer. Cheers!

upsetme

Mar 7, 2008, 8:08 PM

Post #94 of 151 (5494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vmalone] Hunter College MFA Can't Post

In Reply To
Congrats etak! I'm pretty sure I'm going to Hunter this fall in memoir. The more I learn about the program, the more excited I am.

Did they give you more than 24 hours to mull it over?

etak

Mar 8, 2008, 5:46 PM

Post #95 of 151 (5439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [upsetme] Hunter College MFA Can't Post

They've given me a week or so.

sr393

Mar 25, 2008, 4:57 PM

Post #96 of 151 (5265 views)
Shortcut
Still waiting? Can't Post

Anyone else still waiting to hear from Hunter? I applied for non-fiction, and gave up hope a month ago when other folks were called, but I still haven't heard anything. Just curious how many others are out there waiting for a word of some sort.

------
Suzanne

etak

Mar 25, 2008, 5:06 PM

Post #97 of 151 (5259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sr393] Still waiting? Can't Post

No more waiting. They invited me about a week ago. But my wife and I wanted to give it some thought. Moving elsewhere is an exciting idea (I was invited to some other programs, of which Minnesota was particularly tempting), but in the end we went with Hunter. And I couldn't be more excited, or feel more confident in the program. Thus far, Colum McCann has been nothing but gracious and helpful.

joanneypants

Mar 25, 2008, 6:32 PM

Post #98 of 151 (5235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sr393] Still waiting? Can't Post

HI there,
I haven't heard from Hunter either. (memoir) ...I called and as of March 14th, they still hadn't even looked at my application. I have been wallowing in a sea of frustration that offers were made and yet my application hadn't even been looked at yet....

sr393

Mar 25, 2008, 6:43 PM

Post #99 of 151 (5229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joanneypants] Still waiting? Can't Post

Wow, that's intense - I'm shocked that they hadn't looked at it yet. I also applied for memoir, and called about twp weeks ago. The admissions office person told me that no decision had been made on my application, and that the committee was still meeting. Anyway, I am glad to hear from another person in my genre who is waiting to hear. (I guess misery loves company and all that.)

Etak, congrats to you on getting in! I've seen the faculty in action twice, and they seem like a great bunch of people who truly enjoy each other's company. I'm jealous.

------
Suzanne

upsetme

Mar 26, 2008, 1:40 AM

Post #100 of 151 (5179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joanneypants] Still waiting? Can't Post

In Reply To
HI there,
I haven't heard from Hunter either. (memoir) ...I called and as of March 14th, they still hadn't even looked at my application. I have been wallowing in a sea of frustration that offers were made and yet my application hadn't even been looked at yet....

They told me in early Feb. the six memoir positions are filled ... bunch of lying liars, if you ask me ...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved