Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Florida Schools
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
137337 registered users

SkipH

Feb 14, 2006, 3:19 PM

Post #1 of 22 (6158 views)
Shortcut
Florida Schools Can't Post

Anyone out there have any information regarding the U. of Miami (FL) MFA program?

(This post was edited by motet on Jun 18, 2007, 10:49 PM)

elli
Ellen Meeropol

Feb 15, 2006, 8:41 AM

Post #2 of 22 (6122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkipH] Miami MFA Can't Post

I don't know their program, but I think that Manette Ansay joined their faculty last year. I studied with her in my MFA, and found her a generous mentor and insightful, even brilliant, teacher.

Ellen

www.ellenmeeropol.com

zebulon

Jun 20, 2007, 7:09 PM

Post #3 of 22 (6027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkipH] Florida Schools Can't Post

For poetry I know FIU has Denise Duhamel, Campbell McGrath, FSU has Virgil Suarez, David Kirby, and Barbara Hamby, but other than that I know very little... I'm very interested in FSU though... heard somewhere on the board that FSU doesn't announce fellowships/grants until after the acceptance deadline, which is worrisome... does anyone know more about FSU specifically?

bennyprof

Jul 15, 2007, 1:21 PM

Post #4 of 22 (5933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebulon] Florida Schools Can't Post

In Reply To
For poetry I know FIU has Denise Duhamel, Campbell McGrath, FSU has Virgil Suarez, David Kirby, and Barbara Hamby, but other than that I know very little... I'm very interested in FSU though... heard somewhere on the board that FSU doesn't announce fellowships/grants until after the acceptance deadline, which is worrisome... does anyone know more about FSU specifically?

I'd also like to hear about FSU... if that's true about the funding announcements, it might take that program completely out of the running for me, which is disappointing, because it had been one of my top 3 choices! Funding is extremely important to me, and I'm just not willing to take that kind of chance. (Hmmm...now that I read over that again, it looks like it only applies to fellowships and grants... am I correct to assume that these don't include TAs, GAs, etc...? Maybe it's not quite as big of a deal as I thought.)

Does anyone post here who attends or has attended FSU or Florida at Gainesville? (Or knows anything about either school?) I'm very interested in both programs, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

(This post was edited by bennyprof on Jul 15, 2007, 1:25 PM)

hamholio

Jul 15, 2007, 3:21 PM

Post #5 of 22 (5917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bennyprof] Florida Schools Can't Post

I'll be attending UF in the fall. The whole school seems a little disorganized, but the funding is good.

bennyprof

Mar 1, 2008, 6:38 PM

Post #6 of 22 (5752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hamholio] Florida Schools Can't Post

Thought I'd bring this thread back to life.

Has anyone heard when FSU might be notifying? According to Seth's blog, they made their calls on March 3rd last year, which is... yup, Monday.

Though it's hardly ever talked about, surely someone from Florida State lurks this forum. It's a ginormous program, for pity's sake.

Yugao

Mar 2, 2008, 8:56 AM

Post #7 of 22 (5687 views)
Shortcut

I just thought I'd add some news about the University of Florida. Their MFA program will be switching from a two-year to a three-year program for the students who are to start in Fall 2008. They will also be offering full tuition waivers and guaranteed TA positions for all three years.

The change to a three-year program was only approved a few days ago and the website hasn't been updated yet.

bennyprof

Mar 2, 2008, 4:11 PM

Post #8 of 22 (5641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yugao] Florida Schools Can't Post

Great to know. Now that their submission deadline has come and gone. Oh well, can't do anything about the timing. I thought about applying there, then decided against it for a reason I can't remember at the moment. There's always next year, I suppose!

(This post was edited by bennyprof on Mar 2, 2008, 4:57 PM)

jeffdowdy

Mar 26, 2008, 1:59 PM

Post #9 of 22 (5486 views)
Shortcut

Anyone heard anything from UF? I'm going to Gainesville on Friday and just wondered if they'd already made their decisions. Is that worth a call... telling them I'll be in town?

MissEsquire

Nov 10, 2008, 8:15 PM

Post #10 of 22 (5342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jeffdowdy] Florida Schools Can't Post

Does anyone have the link to FSU's Teaching Assistant application? It's supposed to be uploaded along with the portfolio. I've been searching their website for an hour and there seems to be no link. Or is this "find the TA application" thing actually an I.Q. test in disguise?

Even had to break my no speakeasy during applications rule to find this out. Shame.

hamholio

Feb 5, 2009, 9:58 AM

Post #11 of 22 (5178 views)
Shortcut
Re: Florida Schools Can't Post

I don't know who's counting out there, but UF has 240 fiction apps this year. Six spots.

Cheerio!

v1ctorya

Feb 5, 2009, 11:22 AM

Post #12 of 22 (5141 views)
Shortcut

Is UF the one in Gainesville? I get everything confused. Either way, 2.5% of applicants get in, I like them odds!

hamholio

Feb 5, 2009, 11:25 AM

Post #13 of 22 (5138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [v1ctorya] Florida Schools Can't Post

Yeah, Gainesville.

v1ctorya

Feb 5, 2009, 11:34 AM

Post #14 of 22 (5132 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yeah, Gainesville.

Argh! A top school of mine, a friend lives down there. The only state I applied to where I knew someone already there. *crosses fingers*

SevenFreckles

Feb 5, 2009, 6:41 PM

Post #15 of 22 (5052 views)
Shortcut

Any info on the poetry end of things? UF is my top choice so I'm kind of obsessively curious about it.

Also, it is the only school I've had a dream about. I just have this funny hunch that it is the right program for me... although the hunch doesn't extend far enough to say that I'll get in. In my dream though I had a lucky paper clip that I put on my Florida application and I somehow got in. The strange thing was that, in real life, I did actually have a favorite paper clip that I rescued from a coworkers paper clip jar just the day before after it had been missing several weeks. I made sure to use the paper clip in that application packet just as a precaution. Of course, if I get in to Florida now I'll forever wonder if it was my writing ability or the persuasive power of the lucky paper clip. I'll take it either way, of course. ;)

hamholio

Feb 5, 2009, 6:45 PM

Post #16 of 22 (5050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SevenFreckles] Florida Schools Can't Post

Same # of spots available. There are fewer apps, though. 100-150 I think, but I don't know exactly.

trisina

Feb 25, 2009, 7:53 PM

Post #17 of 22 (4908 views)
Shortcut
Florida Schools Can't Post

Does anyone have info on the University of South Florida or Tampa?

HappyCianci

Mar 16, 2009, 8:48 PM

Post #18 of 22 (4749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trisina] Florida Schools Can't Post

Are there any other poets out there who have been accepted to UF?

Thanks, good luck

Raysen

Mar 17, 2009, 3:50 PM

Post #19 of 22 (4641 views)
Shortcut
Florida State Can't Post

Some days, I think about spending my MFA days studying with Robert Olen Butler. And only Robert Olen Butler. But I couldn't get myself to apply to Florida State this past season because of Bobby Bowden and the Florida State football team. Same with Notre Dame and their football team. I detest Notre Dame athletics. I know...stupid reason. My loss.

*sigh*

(This post was edited by Raysen on Mar 17, 2009, 3:52 PM)

rivera

Mar 17, 2009, 4:57 PM

Post #20 of 22 (4591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Raysen] Florida State Can't Post

Raysen- I don't think it's a dumb reason. Well, maybe a little silly, but I am just the same. I couldn't help it. I applied to IU because it's a good program and I live in Indiana (only 2 hours from the school actually), but I wasn't excited about the sports. And I didn't apply to Notre Dame and Purdue for the same reason. Indiana schools are so sporty it's nuts. I don't know about grad programs, but it certainly colors the lives of students in undergrad. Luckly, I go to a small liberal arts college with no football team. :)

Anurag

Feb 19, 2010, 10:37 AM

Post #21 of 22 (3865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rivera] Florida, Gainesville Can't Post

Hey Guys, I applied to the Florida Gainesville program this year. Has anyone got yeses and nos? They have no provision to track the status. Any idea when will we hear from them?

Anurag

emilychristine
Emily Sims

Mar 5, 2010, 2:48 PM

Post #22 of 22 (3746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Anurag] Florida, Gainesville Can't Post

According to posts on the MFA blog, they called their fiction frontrunners this week...

Our Daily Tales / Travel Tales

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved