Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Columbia
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
139915 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 29, 2007, 4:28 PM

Post #151 of 430 (8376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alishein] New Columbians? Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm on the waitlist and I'm considering going. Even if I don't get in -- I'm curious see how the open house is run and what sorts of things they tell us.

The open house is worth going to if you live nearby, but if not I really wouldn't bother. Don't take a plane ride for it or anything. Any questions you have can be answered by the faculty or by second year students (feel free to ask me anything if you want, though I don't check this board daily so it might take me a bit to get back).

However, if you want to visit (during the open house or another time) I'd recommend trying to sit in on a seminar or two. I did when I visited (a Richard Ford class no less) and thought that was more interesting and enlightening than the open house.

decemberist

Mar 30, 2007, 10:59 AM

Post #152 of 430 (8340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clench Million] New Columbians? Can't Post

Clench, so traveling isn't worth it for the open house in any case (even if you're in)? Also, I haven't been to NYC since I was 9. Oh, and my parents are coincidentally going to be there for business on the open house date. The stars just seemed so aligned.

Clench Million
Charles

Apr 3, 2007, 10:19 AM

Post #153 of 430 (8286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [decemberist] New Columbians? Can't Post

In Reply To
Clench, so traveling isn't worth it for the open house in any case (even if you're in)? Also, I haven't been to NYC since I was 9. Oh, and my parents are coincidentally going to be there for business on the open house date. The stars just seemed so aligned.

Well check it out then. I went to the open house for similar reasons (had friends in the city, hadn't visited in a while and it seemed like a good time) and I dont' regret it. The open house was fine and like I said, you can talk to people before hand and try to sit in on a class and meet with some current students to make it really worth it.

I was only saying I wouldn't advise buying a plane ticket to fly out to just go to the open house. It isn't anything you need to go to.

jobieh
Jobie Hughes

Apr 3, 2007, 3:14 PM

Post #154 of 430 (8259 views)
Shortcut

Since I'm the one who bought the plane ticket, allow me to remove ambiguity. I wouldn't buy a plane ticket to come to open house either, and the purpose of my weekend is to spend a few passing days with a charming girl I met here in Chicago on St. Patty's Day, who happens to live in New York. So now you guys know my secret. Unfortunately, I had to change to weekend to the 20th to the 22nd, so I won't even be able to go to open house. Clench, you have any suggestions for a soon to be SoA student on an off weekend? Anna told me Columbia doesn't have Friday classes this semester, so that's out. Anything else of worth I might indulge myself with?

In Reply To

In Reply To

Well check it out then. I went to the open house for similar reasons (had friends in the city, hadn't visited in a while and it seemed like a good time) and I dont' regret it. The open house was fine and like I said, you can talk to people before hand and try to sit in on a class and meet with some current students to make it really worth it.

I was only saying I wouldn't advise buying a plane ticket to fly out to just go to the open house. It isn't anything you need to go to.

jonathandavid

Apr 6, 2007, 10:13 PM

Post #155 of 430 (8194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jobieh] New Columbians? Can't Post

Clench, similar question to the other ones posed: does showing up for the open house make any difference if one has been waitlisted? Am wondering if it is part of the decision process for faculty/staff to get to know waitlisted candidates or if it is purely for the prospective student? Any thoughts?

Cheers--

Clench Million
Charles

Apr 7, 2007, 5:24 PM

Post #156 of 430 (8155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonathandavid] New Columbians? Can't Post

Jobie: Whoops, I didn't notice anyone had said they were buying a plane ticket, that was just a hypothetical on my part. Obviously nyc is amazing and always worth a visit so no reason not to coincide one with the open house (and a charming girl).

As for coming on a Friday... yeah I'm not sure if there are any classes then. There may or may not be some kind of writing division activity at that time, but I really wouldn't know until closer to the date. Or are you just looking for interesting things to do in NYC?

JonathanDavid:

IIRC they didn't take attendance or anything when I went so I don't think the faculty evaluated anyone based on it. It was really just for prospective students to talk with faculty and get any questions answered that they had.

I don't have any inside knowledge on this, but my impression is that all MFA programs have a specific wait list order and you will either get in or not based on how many spots open up and how low you are on the order. I don't think going to an open house would raise your place on the waitlist order, but I can't say for sure.

jobieh
Jobie Hughes

Apr 8, 2007, 2:38 PM

Post #157 of 430 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Hey Clench. I'm pretty good on things to do in New York and was really just curious if you knew of any SoA events and what not. I've been checking the Daily Dish and haven't seen much of interest yet, but that will probably resolve itself by next Friday. We'll see. If you know of anything on Friday or Saturday then by all means, let me now. Thanks chief...

--Jobie

In Reply To
Jobie: Whoops, I didn't notice anyone had said they were buying a plane ticket, that was just a hypothetical on my part. Obviously nyc is amazing and always worth a visit so no reason not to coincide one with the open house (and a charming girl).

As for coming on a Friday... yeah I'm not sure if there are any classes then. There may or may not be some kind of writing division activity at that time, but I really wouldn't know until closer to the date. Or are you just looking for interesting things to do in NYC?

JonathanDavid:

IIRC they didn't take attendance or anything when I went so I don't think the faculty evaluated anyone based on it. It was really just for prospective students to talk with faculty and get any questions answered that they had.

I don't have any inside knowledge on this, but my impression is that all MFA programs have a specific wait list order and you will either get in or not based on how many spots open up and how low you are on the order. I don't think going to an open house would raise your place on the waitlist order, but I can't say for sure.

(This post was edited by jobieh on Apr 8, 2007, 2:39 PM)

Windiciti

Apr 8, 2007, 3:04 PM

Post #158 of 430 (8114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Arkinese] Literary Reponse? Can't Post

Why be "euphemistic?"
Bluntness is more helpful in these cases.

I am a very talented individual, and ALSO a Latina.
But, I suspect that being Latina,(athough with an Italian surname by marriage), helped me at times.

However, I had an African American boss who felt I was very talented, but thought that every honour, every internship, I gathered were solely due to this fact, and I disagreed with him.

jobieh
Jobie Hughes

Apr 9, 2007, 9:26 AM

Post #159 of 430 (8040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windiciti] Literary Reponse? Can't Post

Congrats, I guess. Not really sure what to say to that. There's a lot to be said for modesty.

In Reply To
Why be "euphemistic?"
Bluntness is more helpful in these cases.

I am a very talented individual, and ALSO a Latina.
But, I suspect that being Latina,(athough with an Italian surname by marriage), helped me at times.

However, I had an African American boss who felt I was very talented, but thought that every honour, every internship, I gathered were solely due to this fact, and I disagreed with him.

Windiciti

Apr 9, 2007, 9:53 AM

Post #160 of 430 (8036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jobieh] Literary Reponse? Can't Post

I'm sorry I wrote that. Not that it isn't true, at least for me, but it is inconsequential.

My shoulder was aching, my writing was not turning out----in short, I was in a bad mood, I and was looking for something to distract me. I hadn't looked at the Forum for ages and that little bit caught my eye. So please forgive.

BTW I wish you luck with Columbia, since you seem to want it soo much.

jobieh
Jobie Hughes

Apr 9, 2007, 11:29 AM

Post #161 of 430 (8017 views)
Shortcut

Eh, we're writers. We're all given to bouts of turbulence. If you weren't I might have a tough time taking you serious. ha. Anyways, thanks for the good luck wishes with Columbia. I'm excited to get there, though they can take their funding situation and shove it right up their ________. Feel free to add your own appropriate word.

--Jobie

In Reply To
I'm sorry I wrote that. Not that it isn't true, at least for me, but it is inconsequential.

My shoulder was aching, my writing was not turning out----in short, I was in a bad mood, I and was looking for something to distract me. I hadn't looked at the Forum for ages and that little bit caught my eye. So please forgive.

BTW I wish you luck with Columbia, since you seem to want it soo much.

Windiciti

Apr 9, 2007, 11:50 AM

Post #162 of 430 (8010 views)
Shortcut

What I didn't say---in spite of favouring bluntness when at all possible --- is that IMO the tuition debt that Columbia and a few other schools dare to impose on you is outrageous!
But, your heart seems set on going there, and the more financially "sensible" choices don't seem to do it for you.
However, as an old veteran of debt, I've screwed up numerous times and "recovered" with my husband's help, and a FT job, but cannot do it ever again, I would look for some other institution. One that didn't require such an absurd financial investment from which there is little chance of recovery. It's not medical school, after all.

jobieh
Jobie Hughes

Apr 9, 2007, 12:57 PM

Post #163 of 430 (7992 views)
Shortcut

Very valid points. I am, however, crazy, quixotic, and possess delusional levels of grandeur and genius. But hey, maybe it takes a dose of all of those to try to become a writer in the first place. Sure, the chance for success in this field is dismal at best, though I'm sure all of us believe we are going to skew the averages and hit it big. I know I certainly do. And, well, writers are impractical by nature. And really, who wants to own a home and new cars and have nice things anyways? And in closing, I think it is imperative to know one's past, one's values, to truly understand why they desire to attend a school that places unrealistic levels of debt on it's students shoulders, though none of us really know a thing of the others here. My two cents for what it's worth, which is probably shit...

--Jobie

In Reply To
What I didn't say---in spite of favouring bluntness when at all possible --- is that IMO the tuition debt that Columbia and a few other schools dare to impose on you is outrageous!
But, your heart seems set on going there, and the more financially "sensible" choices don't seem to do it for you.
However, as an old veteran of debt, I've screwed up numerous times and "recovered" with my husband's help, and a FT job, but cannot do it ever again, I would look for some other institution. One that didn't require such an absurd financial investment from which there is little chance of recovery. It's not medical school, after all.

Windiciti

Apr 9, 2007, 6:31 PM

Post #164 of 430 (7951 views)
Shortcut

Your two cants are evrything---'tis about YOU after all.
Good Luck!

tinatala

Apr 13, 2007, 1:01 PM

Post #165 of 430 (7874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vitadimanche] Columbia Can't Post

Hey, I just discovered this site through a friend, and I have a huge question. I'm sorry it's such a tangential question, but it's been on my mind for a while.

Does anyone know if Columbia's Writing MFA program offers courses in Screenwriting? From my research, the Screenwriting courses in the Film department are only for their own students, and I'd really like to take Screenwriting courses in addition to Fiction courses.

Clench Million
Charles

Apr 13, 2007, 2:28 PM

Post #166 of 430 (7858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tinatala] Columbia Can't Post

In Reply To
Hey, I just discovered this site through a friend, and I have a huge question. I'm sorry it's such a tangential question, but it's been on my mind for a while.

Does anyone know if Columbia's Writing MFA program offers courses in Screenwriting? From my research, the Screenwriting courses in the Film department are only for their own students, and I'd really like to take Screenwriting courses in addition to Fiction courses.

Some friends of mine took screenwriting classes this year. Off hand I'm not sure the logistics of it (if they were Film MFA classes or undergrad classes or special SOA classes open to all SOA divisions, but you can take some. Normally any SOA class that isn't something like a workshop can be taken by any other SOA student.

tinatala

Apr 13, 2007, 4:12 PM

Post #167 of 430 (7838 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clench Million] Columbia Can't Post

Thanks for the reply! It helps immensely!

lovesapricots

Mar 13, 2008, 7:37 PM

Post #168 of 430 (7688 views)
Shortcut
Columbia, again Can't Post

Hi,

I don't want to stir up the Columbia/funding debate again, but I am curious: would anyone who is planning to attend Columbia next year be willing to share how they are thinking of funding it?

I have some funding from them, but not enough to make it feasible. I'm trying to think of creative solutions to the funding issue, and I'm really curious to talk to other people who are thinking of making the plunge.

Just to be clear: I don't have any outside help/savings/other resources at my disposal. I'm also not wedded to the program, even though I think it's fantastic. If I can't make the funding something a little less scary, it's just not happening. I don't want to chance it on a hard to get TAship or some slight possibility of a research assistantship.

It's frustrating as hell. Anyone else trying to make the same decision?

coreo

Mar 13, 2008, 7:40 PM

Post #169 of 430 (7683 views)
Shortcut
Waitlist? Can't Post

Does anyone know if Columbia has notified everyone yet? I know in past years they've had a waitlist... has anyone been waitlisted this year?

amandadeleted

Mar 13, 2008, 8:50 PM

Post #170 of 430 (7653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovesapricots] Columbia, again Can't Post

Hi, lovesapricots. I'm considering Columbia too, and I'm also worried about funding. When I talked to Ben Marcus, he made a big deal about how they're offering more money than ever before to accepted students (and second-year students), and how they're really trying to beef up their financial aid. I'm still waiting to get the official packet, but as far as I know, I have a 1/2 tuition scholarship which is good for both years. The only way that I can go is by taking out loans for the other 1/2, which would be tough to swallow considering that I'm finishing undergrad with some (not a huge amount, but some) debt. I guess I'd be interested to hear whether people have successfully negotiated with Columbia (or other schools, for that matter) for more money. I mean, does anyone at Columbia get fully funded? Or even close to fully funded?

I guess, in conclusion, we're in the same boat. I'm interested to hear what other people are thinking as well.

hackofalltrades

Mar 14, 2008, 5:32 PM

Post #171 of 430 (7576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amandadeleted] Columbia, again Can't Post

lovesapricots & amandadeleted: I'm in the same boat--chuffed to be in at Columbia, but with too little money to say yes unreservedly. I've only heard apocryphal stories about people getting full funding; the best seems to be 1/2, but with next year's tuition almost certain to pass $39,000, even 1/2 leaves (obviously) a tremendous burden. Urgh.

Since we're broaching the taboo of dissecting funding offers anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else had the same experience when they were called: after the initial hello, you're in, huzzah!, etc., I was very straightforwardly told: 1) Columbia is expensive (no duh), 2) my package is small (again, no duh), and 3) more funding usually opens up (I assume, when people reject their offers), and I'm earmarked and may get a better package. No guarantees, but the professor seemed pretty cheerful about it and, again, volunteered the information. Is this a common practice? And should I be holding my breath? And why couldn't they just have given me more to begin with?!

Though I'd want more, I'd go if they upped my package to 1/2 tuition. I've been in New York since college, so I'm already settled. I have some savings and can support myself on freelance work during the year, and I assume that I'll find more work during the summers to chip in some more. All told, I think I can swing $15,000 of my own money over the next two years... which, to clarify, is a crapload of money for me and represents some serious sacrifices for the next 4-5 years. And though I wince typing this, I will probably have some "family support." My parents are in a position where they can and are happy to help, and I don't have it in me to refuse the help.

Basically, if I can graduate with a debt load under $15,000, I'll go. But right now, it doesn't look good.

kijordan

Mar 15, 2008, 1:17 PM

Post #172 of 430 (7496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hackofalltrades] Columbia, again Can't Post

To the two above who were accepted to Columbia, may I ask which division ? You mention Ben Marcus, so I assume fiction, but since he's the Chair, I suppose it could be poetry as well.

I ask because I'm intrigued by your knowledge of your financial "packages" already. I was accepted Tuesday (Mar 11th) to the Poetry program and I spoke with Josh Bell for a bit about tuition. He, too, gave me those stock lines about how steep the cost is (and with good humor, I should add!), but he mentioned that he wouldn't know how much money would be allotted for another six weeks. Does this automatically mean I wasn't considered for these more prestigious scholarships (of $12,500/yr) ? Or do such things function differently based on division ? That is, could the fiction division know how much money it has before the poetry division does, or, more logically, does the blanket heading, Writing, cover both programs singly ? And am I totally ridiculous for asking you questions that might be too specialized for an applicant/accepted-student to answer ?

Thanks ! And I'll see you in the fall ?

Khira

amandadeleted

Mar 16, 2008, 2:01 AM

Post #173 of 430 (7428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kijordan] Columbia, again Can't Post

I wish I knew more about the funding distribution too. I was accepted for fiction, and he sounded pretty certain about the funding offer. He told me to expect a financial aid packet soon, and I'm still waiting to receive it. I really hope it comes soon, because I want some hard numbers. I remember someone saying that tuition was going to be almost $40,000 next year. That's crazy!

Does anyone have a cost of living estimate? Do students actually manage to live in Manhattan?

hackofalltrades

Mar 17, 2008, 10:31 AM

Post #174 of 430 (7345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kijordan] Columbia, again Can't Post

Khira, I'm in for poetry. My understanding is that you are apprised of your guaranteed financial aid package when you're called, but that there is a possibility of your funding increasing.

It's weird that Josh Bell couldn't tell you how much you would be offered. Usually, if a student isn't allotted an aid package, they're simply told that they weren't guaranteed any funding, and that's that, but your situation sounds much more vague. Could you email him and ask him to clarify? Especially since, in six weeks, your acceptance deadline for other schools will have likely passed.

But I'm also curious about whether or not genre-specific programs are funded differently somehow, because I was very surprised at being told that more money might open up in late April, which seems like a similar situation to yours, and we are both poetry folks...

hackofalltrades

Mar 17, 2008, 10:58 AM

Post #175 of 430 (7326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amandadeleted] Columbia, again Can't Post

2007-2008 tuition was $38,812, not counting various fees, so it's a safe bet that next year will top $40,000.

The Columbia website quotes $20,000 for nine months' of living expenses, which I think is a little absurd. My living expenses in the city come out to $20,300 for a full year (so about $15,225 for nine months), and I'm certainly not slumming it.

You can definitely live on $20K during the school year in Manhattan, as long as you have a modicum of financial sense. But the commute from Brooklyn won't kill you--at least, I hope not, because that's what I would be doing.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved