Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Brown University MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
136628 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

anneshirley

Mar 16, 2008, 4:46 PM

Post #201 of 351 (7870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bunnytutu] Brown Can't Post

I just got notified by e-mail that I'm in at Brown for poetry too! I am so so excited!

bunnytutu

Mar 16, 2008, 4:47 PM

Post #202 of 351 (7867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anneshirley] Brown Can't Post

EXCELLENT! I'm sending you a pm.

achtung00

Mar 17, 2008, 11:22 AM

Post #203 of 351 (7722 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations! I hope you have an amazing time.

In Reply To
Woooooooooohoooooooooooo!
brown acceptance.
poetry!
right now--3/15!
good luck to all!
unbelievable.

bunnytutu

Mar 17, 2008, 1:15 PM

Post #204 of 351 (7658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [achtung00] Brown Can't Post

thank you achtung00! i hope things work out for you too. i would not give completely up on the idea of getting into brown. whoever said it is right, the stipend amount does not realistically cover living expenses and so might not be ideal for some. good luck!

editing issue:
oh and sorry about the "noticed" instead of "notified" on my previous post. it still makes some sort of sense though :)

monarca

Mar 17, 2008, 2:12 PM

Post #205 of 351 (7612 views)
Shortcut
fiction? pre acceptances? Can't Post

Did everyone reporting acceptances from Brown have contact with them prior to the actual acceptance? I'm just trying to see if that rumor that all Brown acceptances had been contacted earlier is true or not.

Anyone in for fiction? I think I'm gonna count myself out, at this point, but I thought I'd check anyways.

Zash
Zachary Ash

Mar 17, 2008, 5:12 PM

Post #206 of 351 (7531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monarca] fiction? pre acceptances? Can't Post

Rejection letter today. Fiction. Another one bites the dust ...

kakalep

Mar 20, 2008, 4:15 PM

Post #207 of 351 (7360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [achtung00] Waitlisted! Can't Post

I too have been waitlisted for Brown poetry. Getting in would be my dream--it's my second round of apps. Has any that has been waitlisted been able to ask what number they are? I'm not sure if they release this info or not. Sent in the best waitlist letter I could, but not even sure these count for much.

Vesuvia

Mar 20, 2008, 5:05 PM

Post #208 of 351 (7322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kakalep] Waitlisted! Can't Post

kakalep - was this the first you'd heard from Brown? And did your waitlist notice come by mail? Congrats, by the way!

persephassa
roxanne carter

Mar 20, 2008, 7:58 PM

Post #209 of 351 (7264 views)
Shortcut

the first year is hard, but not impossible to live on the stipend.
i didn't work at all, but i live with someone so we share expenses.
if you have roommates and no car, i think you'd be fine. there is affordable
housing in providence, you just have to look...
the second year, the stipend increases - you get about 350 more each paycheck.
so that's much better.

# www.persephassa.com

kakalep

Mar 20, 2008, 8:34 PM

Post #210 of 351 (7235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Vesuvia] Waitlisted! Can't Post

It came by mail. It was dated March 6, but mailed March 13 and I got it just Monday because it went to my old address and had to be forwarded. Thanks for the congratuations--keeping my fingers crossed.

Raysen

Aug 14, 2008, 2:16 PM

Post #211 of 351 (7049 views)
Shortcut
Experimental Can't Post

I don't get this whole "experimental" thing. Maybe I'm just an old fart who grew up with (and loved) traditional stories written by the likes of John Cheever and, well, 90% of the writers out there. When I think of experimental, I think of Amy Hempel. I'm one of the few people who don't quite "get" Hempel's work.

That should tell you something about what I consider "experimental." LOL!

Raysen

Dec 15, 2008, 7:24 PM

Post #212 of 351 (6863 views)
Shortcut
Deadline Can't Post

Today was Brown's application deadline. I hope everyone got theirs out on time. I submitted one experimental short story and one conventional -- just to show my diversity and also to show off my mastery of the craft. Hee hee.

SaundraN

Dec 15, 2008, 8:29 PM

Post #213 of 351 (6846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Raysen] Deadline Can't Post

I made the deadline for Brown - poetry. It's my first choice.

Good luck to you.

germericanqt

Dec 23, 2008, 3:15 PM

Post #214 of 351 (6699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SaundraN] Deadline Can't Post

I applied too! It's just one out of thirteen applications, but it's one of my top choices. Good luck, everyone.

Katevey

Dec 28, 2008, 8:57 PM

Post #215 of 351 (6609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [germericanqt] Deadline Can't Post

"What the h--- I was talking about Brown:" a reply to an e-mail I received.
"Z.B.:" It is not a snob thing. Anyone on this board, regardless the need for grants & aid, is an 'Ester Jack' (Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again,") seeing the 10,000 before you, ignoring the 100,000 behind you if you don't realize you were given as much more as the old money people than at least 60-75% of the people in this country, and just as unthinking (assumed airs) about it. Do you really think you could be where you are looking into the MFA process if you'd graduated from an inner city public school? I was not putting anyone down, sorry if you took my notes about Brown that way. Almost all of us are WASP or WASC, and it shows.
There is a great creative advantage to going to an "old" school where there is a modicum of acceptance just because you got in, although it may seem like you're not accepted at all. The University of Iowa may be #1 yet they still have that extreme air of competition in all their schools, it's just part of the UIa atmosphere. The way education and schools are now creates a form of historicity in writing about historical times and education. To answer one of your comments in the archaic: we must comport ourselves with decorum. The "royal we" is a convention of speech, not a snobism. For Brown, you need to know the social difference between a polite come-uppance and a put down.
Please re-read my notes about Brown: I truly wanted to go to Brown, their dead-line was too early for me and realistically, I can't afford it even if I was full funded there, there are many other things to consider.
Now, regardless any answers or e-mails, I only have time for the threads of the places I did apply. "Shuckers."

Raysen

Dec 29, 2008, 7:00 PM

Post #216 of 351 (6533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Katevey] Deadline Can't Post

What the heck?! I didn't understand any part of Katevey's last post. Sorry.

(This post was edited by Raysen on Dec 29, 2008, 7:01 PM)

NickMcRae
Nick McRae

Dec 29, 2008, 7:31 PM

Post #217 of 351 (6523 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Raysen] Deadline Can't Post

Right there with you, Raysen.

NM

"You got a song, man, sing it. / You got a bell, man, ring it." - Robert Creeley

Nick McRae
nmcrae1@gmail.com
http://nickmcrae.com/

grimson
Justin Bryant

Dec 29, 2008, 9:16 PM

Post #218 of 351 (6506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NickMcRae] Deadline Can't Post

Thirded.

insertbrackets

Dec 29, 2008, 10:08 PM

Post #219 of 351 (6496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grimson] Deadline Can't Post

Ahem...

What?

Fourthed.

Who told you I was a racist? Was it...a minority?
-T-Rex, qwantz.com Dinosaur Comics

Dec 29, 2008, 10:27 PM

Post #220 of 351 (6493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [insertbrackets] Deadline Can't Post

Guys, I think the key lies buried within two deleted posts...if you click on her user name, it lists 21. But wait! Click on 'view posts' and you'll only see 19.

Where are the other two?

WHERE ARE THE OTHER TWO?

If Kate gave them the ax, they'd still show up as 'post deleted by...'. An administrator must've nixed 'em. I'm guessing what remains is a very lopsided response to a post that was also deleted.

I kind of like it, though. It gave me weird dreams -- about screaming Thomas Wolfes, and angry, multiple Iowas.

Katevey, can we get like the Spark Notes to this?

six five four three two one 0 ->

(This post was edited by Junior Maas on Dec 29, 2008, 10:30 PM)

Mae Fields

Dec 29, 2008, 10:55 PM

Post #221 of 351 (6479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Katevey] Deadline Can't Post

In Reply To

"Do you really think you could be where you are looking into the MFA process if you'd
graduated from an inner city public school? "

Yes.

NickMcRae
Nick McRae

Dec 30, 2008, 12:05 PM

Post #222 of 351 (6447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mae Fields] Deadline Can't Post

I'd like to think so, too.

Public school kiddies represent!

NM

"You got a song, man, sing it. / You got a bell, man, ring it." - Robert Creeley

Nick McRae
nmcrae1@gmail.com
http://nickmcrae.com/

JarvisHTR

Jan 15, 2009, 4:28 PM

Post #223 of 351 (6308 views)
Shortcut
Fiction Excerpt from a current Brown MFA candidate Can't Post

Unless he's graduated already:

http://www.brooklynrail.org/2008/02/fiction/the-searchers

About the Author:

Set in early 2001 Austin, Texas, The Searchers traces the thoughts of four characters as their identities unravel in the twilight of 90?s irony. The Searchers is also a kind of experiment in internet empiricism?the characters being constituted through the famous web search algorithm?s association of ideas. The work isn?t collage. It?s more of a collaboration between the author, an indexing robot, and millions of exhibitionists. Another chapter is excerpted on Wordriot.org. The novel is currently seeking a publisher. Nick Bredie lives in Providence, RI where he is an MFA candidate at Brown University.

v1ctorya

Jan 16, 2009, 11:00 AM

Post #224 of 351 (6223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NickMcRae] Deadline Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd like to think so, too.

Public school kiddies represent!

NM

Representing! My Highschool ranked 79th out of 79 schools in the district. I still went to a damn good university.

achtung00

Jan 23, 2009, 2:45 PM

Post #225 of 351 (6091 views)
Shortcut
E-mail from Brown Can't Post

Did everyone receive an e-mail from Brown saying "we are reviewing applications and will soon prepare decision letters?"

I keep clinging on to hope wherever I can find it, but assume it's a stock letter. :-p

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved