Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Brown University MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
135535 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

jeleri

Jan 29, 2008, 11:43 AM

Post #151 of 346 (5820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [februarystar27] submitted to brown Can't Post

In response to your question about Brown: I am not applying for playwriting, (applied at Brown for fiction) but I was a theatre major in undergrad, and I've been working as an actor and producer for a few years. I worked with someone who was friends with Paula Vogel, and also have a friend who studied with her. She's supposed to be amazing as a teacher/mentor. Her work is somewhat experimental (quirky, strange characters), but it's not Richard Foreman experimental (whistling, banging, disembodied words and shouts). Hope that helps. Good luck!!!

jcorcora

Jan 29, 2008, 11:55 AM

Post #152 of 346 (5812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jeleri] submitted to brown Can't Post

Hello,
I went to Brown for undergrad and studied fiction and playwriting. There is certainly an experimental bent to the creative writing program, but I think you'll find that all of the professors have deep training in and an appreciation for traditional narratives. That is to say, many (not all) of the professors have an interest in pushing the boundaries of traditional works, not breaking them. They have a large enough department that there is someone for everyone, so to speak.

Also, I just read in the NY Times that Paula Vogel is leaving Brown and heading to ?Yale? (you'll have to google that).

februarystar27

Jan 29, 2008, 12:09 PM

Post #153 of 346 (5805 views)
Shortcut

Yes, this is helpful... thanks! I was an English/Theater double major for undergrad, and one of my theater professors knows Paula Vogel and has spoken very highly of her as well. The year after I graduated, our student-run theater group did The Baltimore Waltz as their fall show, and I went back to see it and really liked it. I think my style/interests are along the same lines... not so much traditional naturalism, somewhat quirky, but not total out-there craziness. But I'm also applying to the Yale School of Drama's playwriting program, and I just went to submit my application this weekend and read that Paula Vogel is actually going to be teaching there next year. So now I don't know who will be at Brown. But I still really like how playwriting at Brown is part of a creative writing program with close ties to a theater program--nearly all the places I've applied are solely part of theater programs, but I like the idea of being surrounded by both a community of writers and a theatrical community and being able to take advantage of both. It sounds like a really good program, but I'm not allowing myself to dream about it at all because it's so selective. Even posting on this message board was scary for me because I felt like publicly mentioning my applications was too overconfident.

jeleri

Jan 29, 2008, 2:17 PM

Post #154 of 346 (5763 views)
Shortcut

Oops, didn't know that about Paula. I love message boards. They keep me up to date!

I'm kind of looking for the same thing that you are, februarystar. Even though I want to study fiction, I can't say I am entirely ready to give up collaborative art-making. I want playwrights around. And performers. That being said, did you apply to Brooklyn? My friend studies Dramaturgy there, loves it, and has told me that the playwrights are "happy as clams." Mac Wellman definitely has an avant garde bend, but from what I understand the students there are doing all sorts of work. He is supposed to be a wonderful teacher. It's not quite as fancy-pants prestige wise, but the program design fits, it's VERY inexpensive with some funding available, and it's not too late. Feb 1 is the deadline. I'm probably not supposed to mention this in the Brown thread. But I am a little curious if anyone else is applying to both of these programs...

februarystar27

Jan 29, 2008, 4:17 PM

Post #155 of 346 (5721 views)
Shortcut

No, I unfortunately didn't apply to Brooklyn (Brown, Yale, Carnegie Mellon, UCLA, and BU ...the only two of those not part of a school of theater are Brown and BU). My fiance is also applying right now to PhD programs in chemistry, and we tried (somewhat unsuccessfully) to apply to schools in similar regions, and we tried to avoid NYC because we were afraid it would be way too expensive to live there. But if Brooklyn is affordable and offers aid/funding, it could balance out the cost of living in New York a bit. I'd love to apply for this year since there's still a few days left, but between my five programs, my fiance's five programs, GREs for both of us (BU wants them), and rent in Boston, money is tight these days. However, it's great to know that Brooklyn is an affordable option. Considering that there's a 97% chance that I'll be reapplying in a few months after all my rejections roll in, I'll need to find some alternate schools to look into for next year. I will add them to my list.

And to tie this back into Brown so that I don't go completely off the topic of this thread, I also would like to have different types of writers around in addition to the actors/directors/designers of theater programs. In college I focused on poetry for the creative writing emphasis I added to my English major, so I'd love to have poets (and fiction writers!) around. The play I submitted as the bulk of my writing sample was very poetic (which could very well end up working against me and gives me little panic attacks every day). I also forgot in my first reply to say good luck on your application! I'm sure I will be back here in about a month and a half congratulating you on your acceptance. I have no idea how I am going to manage waiting that long.

jeleri

Jan 30, 2008, 1:14 PM

Post #156 of 346 (5651 views)
Shortcut

That's a nice list. I don't know when the rest of your schools notify their accepted students, but for the past couple of years, anyway, Brown has notified in mid to late March. There are a couple of blogspots you can go to that show when letters/calls/e-mails went out last year and the year before. One of them is the suburban ecstasies. Looking at these time frames has helped me not be as crazed, because I know I won't hear anything from any of my schools until late Feb. But then again, here I am doing the rounds on all of these message boards and blogs...so...I guess I am still a little crazed. I hope we are both doing some congratulating this spring, and I'm going to congratulate you now on your engagement! Looks like you have an interesting year ahead no matter what happens. All the best -

candygirl

Feb 23, 2008, 12:36 PM

Post #157 of 346 (5506 views)
Shortcut
Brown Can't Post

Read on Sethís blog:
"Brown sent email acceptances to 5 (according to the email) people on 2/19."
Is it true? If anyone can comment on this?

monarca

Feb 23, 2008, 12:48 PM

Post #158 of 346 (5498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [candygirl] Brown Can't Post

I hope not! That would be a whole month earlier than last year. Plus, Seth hasn't updated the list as of now (2/23, morning) to reflect that.

I would LOVE to go to Brown.

bunnytutu

Feb 23, 2008, 1:18 PM

Post #159 of 346 (5478 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by bunnytutu

monarca

Feb 23, 2008, 1:21 PM

Post #160 of 346 (5475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bunnytutu] Brown Can't Post

That's confusing. Was the e-mail an acceptance? Or was it something like, "Hey, we think we are probably going to accept you. We'll call you. We're pretty sure." Or maybe to ask for more material or...?

Either way, congrats are in order. You heard something! Awesome!

candygirl

Feb 23, 2008, 1:23 PM

Post #161 of 346 (5472 views)
Shortcut

Oh, thanks a lot for sharing the news about e-mail! And also congrats!

jeleri

Feb 23, 2008, 1:40 PM

Post #162 of 346 (5454 views)
Shortcut

So...this was a poetry acceptance? (Big Congrats to you either way! I am just a nervous fiction applicant...)

candygirl

Feb 23, 2008, 1:47 PM

Post #163 of 346 (5443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jeleri] Brown Can't Post

My understanding is that Brown did notify EVERYONE who had any chances of acceptance, but notification was unofficial. I would like to be mistaken, but not with my luck. Anyway - congrats to those who got notification. You guys rock!

jeleri

Feb 23, 2008, 2:08 PM

Post #164 of 346 (5417 views)
Shortcut

The person who announced their e-mail (acceptance?) from Brown on Seth's blog said that Brown had e-mailed "5 people." I know Brown accepts 5 per genre, (except for in electronic writing), so I was assuming this was a genre specific notification. Do you have an inside scoop on something different, candygirl? Please share! If it's time to give up hope I'll give up hope, I just want to know for sure. I second that "you guys rock!"

candygirl

Feb 23, 2008, 2:12 PM

Post #165 of 346 (5410 views)
Shortcut

No, please donít worry, I donít have any inside scoop. You are not out until you have the rejection letter. Ok? I am upset and tell myself that "damn, I didnít get in", because I want to get used to this thought and not get too desperate when I receive actual rejection letter. Its my own way of dealing with the things. Not that I want you to follow my example:)

anneshirley

Feb 24, 2008, 2:06 PM

Post #166 of 346 (5297 views)
Shortcut

I also received an e-mail from forrest gander last tuesday and we are supposed to speak on the phone this week. I am hoping this means I'm in, but I am waiting until I speak with him to say for certain. !!!! so nervous.

pensive
Adam

Feb 24, 2008, 2:14 PM

Post #167 of 346 (5283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anneshirley] Brown Can't Post

What genre did you apply for...and what did the email say?

In Reply To
I also received an e-mail from forrest gander last tuesday and we are supposed to speak on the phone this week. I am hoping this means I'm in, but I am waiting until I speak with him to say for certain. !!!! so nervous.

bunnytutu

Feb 24, 2008, 5:43 PM

Post #168 of 346 (5195 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by bunnytutu

jeleri

Feb 24, 2008, 7:26 PM

Post #169 of 346 (5138 views)
Shortcut

OK, Bunnytutu and Anneshirley, I hear you that you are nervous, I'm sure you are excited, I would be too. I am happy for you in a genuine way. Many of us are, I am sure. It's a huge amazing deal getting into a school like Brown, or at least being singled out by them. But will you PLEASE tell us what genre you are? Are all five of you the same genre? Maybe you don't want to divulge the contents of the e-mail to protect Brown's privacy - or your own. That's totally fine. Honorable. But you did tell us that the e-mail happened, which kind of defeats the purpose, no? Now there are dozens? hundreds? of us with clumped up towels in our hands which are starting to cramp!!! Do we throw them in, these towels? Or maybe some of us should still have hope...? Whatever answer you can give would be appreciated, even if it's to tell us why no one who has gotten this e-mail from Brown has answered any questions. Thanks.

Feb 24, 2008, 7:35 PM

Post #170 of 346 (5132 views)
Shortcut

If it's Forrest Gander on the horn, he's calling for poetry. Or a date.

Either way, you fictionistas are safe.

six five four three two one 0 ->

anneshirley

Feb 24, 2008, 9:57 PM

Post #171 of 346 (5070 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Junior Maas] Brown Can't Post

yes, for poetry. the e-mail said that they're interested in my work and they want to talk.

jeleri

Feb 24, 2008, 9:59 PM

Post #172 of 346 (5067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Junior Maas] Brown Can't Post

That's what I figured too, but this waiting has made me question everything!! Thanks for the post though. It helped.

sicofelephants

Feb 24, 2008, 10:31 PM

Post #173 of 346 (5048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anneshirley] Brown Can't Post

If you go to Brown would you rub a piece of paper all over Carole Maso and then mail it to me?

That could be a bit much to ask given that you're in poetry and Carole Maso is a fiction professor. It would be nice, though. I'm a poetry applicant myself, but I adore her writing.

persephassa
roxanne carter

Feb 26, 2008, 1:38 AM

Post #174 of 346 (4913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sicofelephants] Brown Can't Post

i know they have decided the fiction list, tho i doubt anybody will get emails. i think the poets tend to be notified earlier; forest & c.d. call people, but i got my fiction acceptance (a year.5 ago, & carole is my thesis adviser now) in the mail before i got a phone call. good luck! i am also anxiously awaiting some notification (from a phd program, now).

# www.persephassa.com

pensive
Adam

Feb 26, 2008, 8:11 AM

Post #175 of 346 (4866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [persephassa] Brown Can't Post

Thanks for the info!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved