Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Brown University MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
136528 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

mrsriley72

Mar 13, 2007, 9:43 PM

Post #126 of 351 (7038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LateApplicant] Waiting Can't Post

did you see the post on the mfablog comments area? Today, the 13th, was the day. Calls were to start today and continue throughout the week.

LateApplicant

Mar 14, 2007, 3:05 AM

Post #127 of 351 (6981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrsriley72] Waiting Can't Post

Oh no--oh yes. No, I didn't see that. Well, I guess in a few days we should know whether we're in or not... Thanks for letting me know. (My more pessimistic side tells me we're out, though. How many people does Brown take? Five? And they won't make 5 calls in a day? Oh, but on the other hand, Cornell takes the same number of people and they took like a week to notify all of them, so, let's keep our fingers crossed...)

MarisaLS

Mar 14, 2007, 4:43 PM

Post #128 of 351 (6888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LateApplicant] Waiting Can't Post

In Reply To
Marisa,

I applied for fiction. Did you apply for both poetry and fiction? Good to hear we might be same-age classmates !!! Given the rather low first-year pay, we should consider sharing a place -- I'm a quiet, almost-34-year old male whose most outrageous fits of household nuisance are playing some classical music, or classic rock at most :)

(I know, I know, we shouldn't count our chicken before they hatch... It's a long shot, I know, given the 2 % acceptance rate :)).

----
Hi there. I've been too busy to be online as I'm waiting by my cell for it to ring to see if it's Brown ;) so sorry for the delay. Yes, I did apply for both fiction and poetry programs. I've heard nothing. I am trying to keep my hopes up by thinking that my last name begins with a letter at the end of the alphabet, so that maybe they will wait until Friday to call me.

I don't know what to believe on the blogs anymore -- we are all getting info and then nobody hears a thing. It's so frustrating, right? So we heard from some that they were going to start calls on the 13th and go through Friday and if we don't hear by Friday that means we're getting a rejection letter. But I had called once and they told me that they did not know if they were going to call at all, so who knows. I try to not feel disappointment until I hear the rejection...til then, we can consider ourselves accepted. Right? Right!

At least we're all in this boat together at this point. That helps. I guess sooner or later we'll hear of someone who's heard... unless all those people aren't online.

wilmabluekitty
Wilma Weant Dague

Mar 14, 2007, 5:31 PM

Post #129 of 351 (6857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MarisaLS] Waiting Can't Post

In Reply To

Yes, I did apply for both fiction and poetry programs.

Did you apply to both in the same schools? This is my dilemma too---which to choose.

MarisaLS

Mar 14, 2007, 7:34 PM

Post #130 of 351 (6811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wilmabluekitty] Waiting Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes, I did apply for both fiction and poetry programs.

Did you apply to both in the same schools? This is my dilemma too---which to choose.

------
Yes, I applied to fiction and poetry, which both reside in the literary arts program. I didn't apply to any other schools than Brown, as I didn't have the money for more application fees, have to stay in the Providence area for personal reasons, and Brown said "fully funded." Did you also apply to both at Brown? If so, have you heard anything?

wilmabluekitty
Wilma Weant Dague

Mar 14, 2007, 9:32 PM

Post #131 of 351 (6774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MarisaLS] Waiting Can't Post

No, I didn't apply this year. i thought I had to saty in Kansas and now I'm trying to widen my net. My hubby needs a change of venue too, so we'll apply together.

I just hadn't thought of applying to both field at the same school. Not a bad strategy.
Good Luck! Hope you hear soon.

lili99

Mar 15, 2007, 2:57 PM

Post #132 of 351 (6672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wilmabluekitty] Waiting Can't Post

um. so i just got an email telling me that i'm one of five people on the wait list (fiction). totally in shock. so far, i've gotten a bunch of rejections and just one other wait list notification (columbia). this certainly eases the pain of no acceptances.

brown people, does anyone ever get in off the waitlist? i suppose not. but i want it so bad! so, so bad!

for the first time i'm feeling motivated to try again next year!

(This post was edited by lili99 on Mar 15, 2007, 9:49 PM)

jessfj

Mar 15, 2007, 3:44 PM

Post #133 of 351 (6646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lili99] Waiting Can't Post

Lili, I just heard I was one of four on the poetry wait list... Something tells me (something like, "Who turns down an acceptance to Brown?!") there isn't much chance of our getting in, but even so, it feels like good news...

jgarbe

Mar 15, 2007, 4:32 PM

Post #134 of 351 (6599 views)
Shortcut
Here we go Can't Post

At this point I'm pretty fatalistic, so I went ahead and just called Brown. The secretary was really nice this time, actually. She said that they'd started calling (which is obvious by now, but I hadn't read the recent messages) and the calls would continue until Monday. In her words: "so if you haven't been called by Monday...then you'll know."

Good luck everyone...

~Jacob

MarisaLS

Mar 15, 2007, 5:38 PM

Post #135 of 351 (6559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jgarbe] Here we go Can't Post

In Reply To
At this point I'm pretty fatalistic, so I went ahead and just called Brown. The secretary was really nice this time, actually. She said that they'd started calling (which is obvious by now, but I hadn't read the recent messages) and the calls would continue until Monday. In her words: "so if you haven't been called by Monday...then you'll know."

Good luck everyone...

~Jacob

Jacob,

Your post gives me a little hope. But I just went through an hour of despair. I am at the office -- I teach -- and had to shut my door. I just can't think about staying in this job one more year, and I could only afford to apply to one school and I have to stay in the RI area, and so I applied to Brown for fiction and poetry and then I saw on the blogs that all these people were called and people got waitlisted emails and the only call I got was from a "friend" who ditched me at a conference last week. So I felt/feel a great deal of despair... I know chances are slim. But somehow I just wanted to start a new life, you konw? And figures, the Ides of March. Why do they start calling on the damn Ides of March? How about some kindness? Ok, so the calls are for accepted people, so that is a good thing, but I really think i am just going ot get two letters of rejection in the mail. :(

Perhaps I will become a famous writer someday and I won't give my thanks to Brown.

Ok, i must not be bitter. I'm just really disappointed. This is my second time applying to go back to grad school (i already have an mfa in a different area but teach comp and can't do it anymore and just want time to work on my work) and second time i've been rejected.

Anyway, i do want to say congrats to those of you who have heard. You are lucky ducks. Congrats, and celebrate.

Marisa

aybewell

Mar 22, 2007, 2:23 AM

Post #136 of 351 (6374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jgarbe] Here we go Can't Post

does anyone know when the rejection letters are supposed to go out? according the brown website, all the lucky winners have been notified already. well, when do i find out (officially) i'm not wanted there??? i may call soon. this is the last school i am waiting to hear from.

mrsriley72

Mar 22, 2007, 3:40 PM

Post #137 of 351 (6306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aybewell] Here we go Can't Post

Beats me. I havent got a letter yet.

In Reply To
does anyone know when the rejection letters are supposed to go out? according the brown website, all the lucky winners have been notified already. well, when do i find out (officially) i'm not wanted there??? i may call soon. this is the last school i am waiting to hear from.

Cookies4brkfst

Mar 22, 2007, 4:24 PM

Post #138 of 351 (6284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aybewell] Here we go Can't Post

In Reply To

Go to Brown's main page, mouse over the Admissions--Graduate tab. That and the MFA page explain it: if you haven't heard, you're rejected. Like me!

tenderloner
Geary'n Hyde

Mar 22, 2007, 10:41 PM

Post #139 of 351 (6223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cookies4brkfst] Here we go Can't Post

Well Cookies, I'm still proud to be in your company. Six months from now, I hope we're reasonably funded and enjoying Cal Arts.

aiyamei

Aug 17, 2007, 7:44 AM

Post #140 of 351 (6076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tenderloner] Here we go Can't Post

Can anyone here tell me what the Brown literary arts program requires in terms of application materials? I feel like I'm missing something, but on their website all I can seem to find is the length of the written text sample and that you DON'T need to take the GREs (hooray!). But I can't seem to find actual application materials that spell everything out.
I guess I'm most concerned about letters of recommendation -- how many, etc. and also whether there's an application form I can download.
Thanks!

piratelizzy

Aug 17, 2007, 7:50 PM

Post #141 of 351 (6032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiyamei] Here we go Can't Post

aiyamei,

Go here http://www.brown.edu/...rogram_admission.htm for a list of Brown's MFA program application requirements.

Go here http://gradschool.brown.edu/go/generalinfo for the Brown Grad School's application requirements, and to download the forms.

Good luck.

'sup?!

aiyamei

Aug 21, 2007, 4:39 PM

Post #142 of 351 (5965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piratelizzy] Here we go Can't Post

I have been reading a lot of the magazines and ezines where Brown fiction people seem to be publishing and I've noticed that the work by Brown students is a) often short little fictionlettes and b) even if longer, not particularly narrative-driven, but rather something closer to exquisite prose poetry.

I'm wondering whether anyone at Brown, or anyone who is more familiar with Brown graduates' work, could tell me whether this would still be a good school for me to apply to even if my fiction is experimental only in the types of stories it seeks to tell (and it is that), but not in its format, form, or departure from story-telling as such.

aluminum

Dec 16, 2007, 12:09 PM

Post #143 of 351 (5798 views)
Shortcut

hey everyone!

just wondering who out there applied. the deadline was yesterday (as it was for a few other schools, i believe). i literally sent my brown application in at 1:59pm december 15th. hopefully the admission committee will know nothing about that...

who else applied to brown this year?
how do you feel about your application?

DMiller

Dec 16, 2007, 1:41 PM

Post #144 of 351 (5774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aluminum] Here we go Can't Post

I wouldn't worry about it. I sent mine in at 8 pm last night. If anything, I rationalized it by thinking, Hey, they'll see I spent as much time on it as possible...

But nah, they won't care.

As for my writing sample, I felt really good about my first two stories, which I wrote organically and outside of the application.
The other one, I'm not as sure about. It was more in the vein of, I wonder what experimental writing is? I wonder if this is it...

(This post was edited by DMiller on Dec 16, 2007, 2:41 PM)

Dec 16, 2007, 2:28 PM

Post #145 of 351 (5756 views)
Shortcut

aiyamei:

Not sure if you're aware, but Ben Marcus and Mathew Derby are probably the most notable semi-recent Brown grads. Marcus's debut, Age of Wire and String, is pretty much as you describe; extremely short, prose-poemy oddities that (supposedly) offer a larger view of some imagined society. Notable American Women (Marcus's second) and Derby's Super Flat Times are just shy of traditional narratives, and are remarkably similar in tone and content. You might check these out to see how they match up with your own.

(I still think the whole 'experimental' moniker is pretty much bullshit, though. It's not an experiment when it fits snugly into a tradition...)

six five four three two one 0 ->

Zash
Zachary Ash

Dec 16, 2007, 3:37 PM

Post #146 of 351 (5738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Junior Maas] Here we go Can't Post

I submitted my Brown application on Thursday, I think, and it was the first one I did. I meant to include two stories, but managed to upload only one. I was leary of hitting the DELETE button and trying again, for fear I'd end up sending nothing. Technology scares me. Oh, well. It was my best story, so I don't feel too bad.

With regards to experimental prose, I'm intrigued by it but don't really write it. But I think my writing would improve if I were exposed to radically new perspectives and styles. Also, I really like writers who are mildly experimental, such as Paul Auster, Steven Milhauser, Angela Carter. Most likely, though, I'm not hip enough for Brown. At least I tried.
Zash

Yugao

Dec 16, 2007, 8:27 PM

Post #147 of 351 (5703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zash] Here we go Can't Post

I included only one story as well, and it is a relatively traditional one, so maybe I am already out of luck. I had a second-story that was (fairly recently) heavily criticized in my workshop groups for being too decorative and not very narrative-driven, and I chickened out on sending it. I had tried very hard to refine it, and ended up deciding it might hurt my chances, though now I wonder if Brown might have liked it. It's not a great story by any means, but it got a personal turn-down by the editor of Zoetrope in an earlier stage, and well, he had obviously read the whole thing, which surprised the heck out of me. Anyway, this whole debacle is my own fault for spending too much time on the first draft of the novel I've been working on, instead of focusing on two ultra-polished stories above all else, since I knew I wasn't going to go the novel excerpt route.

I am such a wimp sometimes. I think I'm in the "at least I tried" category as well.

aluminum

Dec 16, 2007, 10:48 PM

Post #148 of 351 (5676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yugao] Here we go Can't Post

seems everyone went with either one story, or at the most, two.

i sent four. i was sick of trying to decide so i sent two short pieces and two twelve pagers. the longer ones are traditional, the shorter ones are hard to define. but overall, i don't think i'm hip enough for brown, either.

on a side note, i probably deleted and reloaded my writing sample a million times. it took forever to get the page breaks the way i wanted them!

navybuttons

Dec 19, 2007, 9:51 PM

Post #149 of 351 (5596 views)
Shortcut
submitted to brown Can't Post

got it in on time (barely) with UCI's. one 21 page story and one 4 page one. brown is my first choice and i wake up stressing about it. but i'm applying to 11 schools so hopefully i get 1. good luck to everyone else who applied.

februarystar27

Jan 28, 2008, 4:35 PM

Post #150 of 351 (5435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [navybuttons] submitted to brown Can't Post

Looks like I found this thread a bit late, since it's been over a month since the last reply. But this is my first post here since I just discovered this site earlier this afternoon. I applied for playwriting and sent my application in the first week of December. I had one due for UCLA on December 1, so I sent in Brown's right afterward since all my materials were ready. Does anyone know anything about their playwriting program and whether it is also considered "experimental" like the fiction and poetry seems to be? I know they only accept three people, so I'm honestly not expecting anything, but the wait is still driving me crazy just the same. Has anyone else applied for playwriting?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved