Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Brown University MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
133160 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

persephassa
roxanne carter

Feb 20, 2007, 12:34 AM

Post #101 of 346 (6734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrsriley72] Brown University MFA Can't Post

when did Carole Maso say that the choice had been made?

thx!
pS: where did you get the amazing illustrative artwork for your website?

i think she said it on february 9. i am pretty sure it was the 9th because she said it during workshop, & she had just come from the meeting where they wrangle out who they want to invite in the lounge with the doors closed. anyways, it will be exciting to be in brian evenson's workshop in the fall with whoever it is who comes.

ps. i just collect things? you mean the backgrounds &c? they are cutouts and magazines & such stuff. those which are not my photographs. there are some nice people on flickr who scan images from magazines at high resolutions which are choice for making collages.

# www.persephassa.com

(This post was edited by persephassa on Feb 20, 2007, 12:35 AM)

LateApplicant

Feb 20, 2007, 2:20 AM

Post #102 of 346 (6714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [persephassa] Brown University MFA Can't Post

Kind of a useless question, but still... If they've picked the 5 fiction people already (more like 10 days ago), why would they wait till March to notify them? Another useless question: Had they made their decisions in Feb., too, in your year, that is, when you were notified as late as March 8?

Thanks!

LA

a2poet

Feb 20, 2007, 8:29 AM

Post #103 of 346 (6687 views)
Shortcut

By chance, do you know if Michael S. Harper will be returning from leave in the fall?

http://mwicker.blogspot.com/

persephassa
roxanne carter

Feb 20, 2007, 1:38 PM

Post #104 of 346 (6596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LateApplicant] Brown University MFA Can't Post

why would they wait... honestly, i have no clue. my best guess is that like any people they are really busy and preoccupied. they make their decisions and then forward their recommendations to the graduate school. the graduate school is the entity which does all the checking of transcripts and official-like stuff, which takes time like all bureaucracy. there are probably rules about all of this. they wait until the letters have been sent to call people; most people get their call before the letter comes. i'm not sure if they call the wait-listed people.

i don't know anything about michael s. harper. (i am a great help, yes?). maybe he will be back next year. no one has said anything.

# www.persephassa.com

(This post was edited by persephassa on Feb 20, 2007, 1:39 PM)

LateApplicant

Feb 20, 2007, 2:00 PM

Post #105 of 346 (6569 views)
Shortcut

Hi Roxanne (cool name now that The Police are back :))

Your post is indeed helpful. It wasn't clear to me that faculty called only after the letters were mailed. Now it is.

Thanks!

garani83

Feb 27, 2007, 3:26 AM

Post #106 of 346 (6395 views)
Shortcut

what about the playwrights?

mrsriley72

Feb 27, 2007, 3:05 PM

Post #107 of 346 (6310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garani83] Brown University MFA Can't Post

(This post was edited by mrsriley72 on Mar 10, 2007, 9:03 PM)

nausea12

Feb 27, 2007, 11:27 PM

Post #108 of 346 (6205 views)
Shortcut

cuts 400 people on what basis?

Lglabor

Feb 28, 2007, 10:36 AM

Post #109 of 346 (6123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nausea12] Brown University MFA Can't Post

I don't know anything about Brown but I do know how it works at another one of the top programs, one that gets about 1,000 applications. They use recent MFA graduates for first readers. This is the first step. These first readers read the manuscripts, and they decide based on this reading which applications will and will not go further. They pass along the (very few) applications that they think are worth considering, and these are then read and discussed by the faculty, who then make the final decisions about which (fewer yet) to accept. It's only at this final stage, and only if there are several more or less equally good manuscripts in the running for a spot, that they look at the statement of purpose, recommendation letters, etc.

I'm guessing it's a similar process at Brown and the other programs that get a ton of applications.

v1ctorya

Feb 28, 2007, 10:52 AM

Post #110 of 346 (6103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lglabor] Brown University MFA Can't Post

That's exactly what a former NYU MFAer told me his job was at, and he'd find any excuse to boot a manuscript., "oops, grammatical error on the first page, goodbye!" etc. Which is why I'm afraid, I just noticed I used two titles for one peice. The cover page title was different than the manuscript title (slightly, same gist). Oh well, you live you learn.

malber

Feb 28, 2007, 1:45 PM

Post #111 of 346 (6037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nausea12] Brown University MFA Can't Post

in all honesty, it's probably really easy to cut 400 off the top. i don't know about you, but i've been in enough workshops (both online and in person) and the average participant would not have a great shot of getting into even the less competitive programs. i also teach a CW class right now (i'm in an M.A. program) and yes, they're undergrads, but i would say the vast majority of people don't have what it takes. whatever IT is.

schambers1980

Mar 2, 2007, 8:26 AM

Post #112 of 346 (5938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [malber] Brown University MFA Can't Post

Someone posted an acceptance on gradcafe (via e-mail). The thing is, they put the date as 3/13/07. The way I see it, there are three possibilites: 1.) They got in and put the wrong date; 2.) They are lying, or 3.) It's someone in the department tipping everyone off as to when notifications will go out.

Good times.

umass76

Mar 2, 2007, 12:22 PM

Post #113 of 346 (5876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [schambers1980] Brown University MFA Can't Post

My vote, for various reasons, is that it's a lie. Brown has told callers that no official decisions will be sent out, via any method, before March 10th, and that everyone should hear by March 20th. This poster refused to put a genre down, put the enigmatic words "the secret" in the comments section of his/her post, set the acceptance date 11 days in the future, and posted the acceptance 5 days before Brown's 2006 notification point (which makes no sense in a year Brown says it's running late). I think it's BS.

S.

ON EDIT: And Brown notifies first by letter, then phone call (though on occasion they say the phone call precedes the letter by 24 hours or so). Very few schools notify acceptees by e-mail (Michigan is one).

(This post was edited by umass76 on Mar 2, 2007, 12:23 PM)

jgarbe

Mar 6, 2007, 4:56 PM

Post #114 of 346 (5708 views)
Shortcut
Waiting Can't Post

Is anyone else finding it utterly torturous, knowing that the decisions have been made for weeks now, possibly in the mail, and yet we still don't know, and may not know for another week?

~Jacob

mrsriley72

Mar 6, 2007, 8:34 PM

Post #115 of 346 (5654 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jgarbe] Waiting Can't Post

In Reply To
Is anyone else finding it utterly torturous, knowing that the decisions have been made for weeks now, possibly in the mail, and yet we still don't know, and may not know for another week?

~Jacob

Truly truly difficult to wait.

MarisaLS

Mar 9, 2007, 10:00 PM

Post #116 of 346 (5534 views)
Shortcut
Re: Waiting Can't Post

Hey Everyone,

I just signed on to this list and was glad to see all the helpful info from both those of you who are waiting and also those who have been or are in the program at Brown now. I applied for both fiction and poetry...and am waiting. I called them the other day and spoke to an assistnat who was very nice (I was afraid they'd bite my head off)... she said that they have not yet made "official decisions" but they will be sending out letters by the end of this upcoming week. She also said that while they have in the past called acceptees, this year they have not decided whether or not they will, but that "letters will be mailed out by the end of the week." I guess that means we will hear by the following week the latest. I know chances are slim but I so much want to get into the lit arts dept....

MarisaLS

Mar 9, 2007, 10:10 PM

Post #117 of 346 (5529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MarisaLS] Waiting Can't Post

Hi, I just have another question for the folks who are currently studying in the program (accepted in previous years): is there a particular class size? Also, do you find that most of your classmates are of a certain age or is there a range? Like are most just out of college or are most in their 30s, 40s, etc.? Just curious... also, how much funding do you get the first year? Is it enough to live off of or do you need to get a part-time job in order to pay rent, bills, etc? Sorry if these are too many questions. I should probalby not jump the gun anyway given that there is only a 2% chance of getting in... but.... I'm so excited every time i hear more about the program that i just want to hear more. Thanks for listening and answering if you can...

felixqvarga

Mar 10, 2007, 4:48 PM

Post #118 of 346 (5448 views)
Shortcut

Hi Marisa,

I graduated from the program (fiction) in May. Let me see if I can answer your questions.

You take three workshops, and the last semester do your thesis. The way the workshops go is that first semester, firsst and second year students are together, so there are ten people, maybe one or two more if someone from a different genre wants to take the workshop as well (you can take whatever graduate workshop you want whatever your genre --playwrights can take fiction, fiction writers poetry etc). Second semester you are with only the students from your year, so five people (again, they might allow one more person to sit in. My second-semester workshop had six people). Third semester there are again ten people, this time you are with the incoming first-year students.

Funding probably changes a bit every year but for my group it was $8500 stipend first year, $17,000 stipend second year, because you are teaching. Everyone gets to teach a beginning class and an intermediate class the scond year, not necessarily in that order (i.e. you might teach intermediate fiction your first semester, and beginning fiction you second. Or poetry, as the case may be).
Of course you pay no tuition, and get great health insurance as well.
I got by second year okay, but took out additional loans to support myself the first year. People do work, and you could probably get by okay as you're only required to take one class per semester in addition to your workshop. But I was there to write and did not want to work, I wanted to be fully immersed in the program.

As far as age range goes...there definitely are people anywhere from early twenties to late thirties, and there have been a couple of students in their forties. I started at 35 and finished at 37. I was one of the older students there, most are probably mid to late twenties.

Hope this helps and best of luck!!!

MarisaLS

Mar 10, 2007, 8:01 PM

Post #119 of 346 (5409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [felixqvarga] Waiting Can't Post

Thanks so much for the info... I'm 33 and so was wondering, as I didn't want to really be in classes with folks who are just coming straight from undergrad...I like how you said there is a mix. I am looking for a good program but also a good environment to meet people my age. I do have an MFA in film from another school and have been teaching comp and scraping to get by for the past five years, and have wanted to go back to school for a second MFA, this time in poetry or fiction. I know my chances are slim, but I can't help but hope. The $8500 is a little low for me... I mean with rent, how do you eat? but perhaps I should not even think of it until I get an acceptance or rejection. If i manage to get accepted, I could possibly teach part-time someplace to get a little extra pocket money, I guess. I am still paying off loans from my first MFA which I got almost nine years ago now and still have 10K left... it's a little daunting to think about taking out more loans. But again, I shouldn't cross that path til I come to it, right? right!

Anyway, thanks so much for your thoughts. If you had to do it over again, would you at Brown? Do you feel as though it has helped you in getting published and/or job-wise?

Marisa

LateApplicant

Mar 11, 2007, 5:36 AM

Post #120 of 346 (5331 views)
Shortcut

Hi Felix (again:)), Hi Marisa,

Your questions and answers are really helpful. I thought Brown fully supported its students (that's what it says at the website) both years. $ 8,500 the first year? How can anyone do it without loans or work? That's a real concern... The second year (around $ 17,000) sounds much better, though.

Next month I'll be 34, so it's nice to hear that there are people my age trying to get (and actually getting) an MFA at good places.

(Sigh) Anyway, as Marisa said, let's not worry about funding and other issues until we're there...

MarisaLS

Mar 11, 2007, 9:07 AM

Post #121 of 346 (5316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LateApplicant] Waiting Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi Felix (again:)), Hi Marisa,

Your questions and answers are really helpful. I thought Brown fully supported its students (that's what it says at the website) both years. $ 8,500 the first year? How can anyone do it without loans or work? That's a real concern... The second year (around $ 17,000) sounds much better, though.

Next month I'll be 34, so it's nice to hear that there are people my age trying to get (and actually getting) an MFA at good places.

(Sigh) Anyway, as Marisa said, let's not worry about funding and other issues until we're there...

It's great to hear from another applicant!! Yeah, I feel the same, the $17.000 sounds more like it! And yeah, I guess we have to just wait and see before worrying about it. Hope we both get in (which program did you apply to?)...fingers crossed (and my cat has her paws crossed right now!)..

Marisa

mrsriley72

Mar 11, 2007, 7:35 PM

Post #122 of 346 (5247 views)
Shortcut

I was told by a person in the program that you are not allowed to hold down a job while there, or else you lose your stipend. So people have to take out loans. Whether its true or no, I cannot be sure-- but that is what I was told. But, of course, many people would willingly pay for their MFA degree!

MarisaLS

Mar 11, 2007, 10:10 PM

Post #123 of 346 (5198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrsriley72] Waiting Can't Post

In Reply To
I was told by a person in the program that you are not allowed to hold down a job while there, or else you lose your stipend. So people have to take out loans. Whether its true or no, I cannot be sure-- but that is what I was told. But, of course, many people would willingly pay for their MFA degree!

Thanks for this info. I actually did correspond with one of the program directors back in the fall who said the first year isn't enough funding to live off of so that i would have time to take on a part-time job. Maybe what you heard is re. the second year? In any case, I really shouldn't even be considering any of these details until i hear. I wish i were in a better financial position where i could apply to programs that are not funded well because that would up my chances of getting in someplace, but I am a teacher and therefore have limited income... and already a great deal in loans from my first MFA that i'm paying back each month. So money is definitely a concern. But everyone on this board has been quite helpful. Ggiven the 2% acceptance rate, I really oought to not think of any of this as the chances are slim for me anyway...

persephassa
roxanne carter

Mar 12, 2007, 3:22 PM

Post #124 of 346 (5126 views)
Shortcut

they increased the stipend, first year is more like 9500. it is enough to live on, but you need a roommate or a really inexpensive rent. i live with my boyfriend, who is also a graduate student at brown (making TWICE as much as me, but we split the rent and utilities fairly equally) & we get by okay - we kinda shiver through the winter in our 55 degree apartment with space heaters next to our desks; we don't own a car; we rarely eat out or go to movies - there are plenty of free films showing at brown, or discounted nights at local theatres. i'm 28, like felix said, most people are mid-20's to 30's, i know some people have been in their 40's. a few people are married/have children, so you don't see them around much. a few people came straight from undergrad, but not many - 2 or 3 out of all 28 of us. you are not supposed to work, but it is okay by their rules to work for brown - some people work for the writing center. some people do what they say yr not supposed to do, have jobs - freelancing, working at bookstores, bakeries, whatever. i make some money because i run a small (very small) press & i get paypal and bookshop payments once in awhile. i was an amicorps VISTA before i came to brown, so i am used to having no money. it is fine. what brown pays me is more than what i made as a VISTA. some people do take out loans but i would never do that, i hate owing money. i don't want a job either, it is great to sit home and read/write/make books, and not have to go anywhere except class (on thursday and friday this semester, because both of my classes are with carole & she's only here then).

# www.persephassa.com

(This post was edited by persephassa on Mar 12, 2007, 3:30 PM)

LateApplicant

Mar 13, 2007, 4:24 AM

Post #125 of 346 (5031 views)
Shortcut

Marisa,

I applied for fiction. Did you apply for both poetry and fiction? Good to hear we might be same-age classmates !!! Given the rather low first-year pay, we should consider sharing a place -- I'm a quiet, almost-34-year old male whose most outrageous fits of household nuisance are playing some classical music, or classic rock at most :)

(I know, I know, we shouldn't count our chicken before they hatch... It's a long shot, I know, given the 2 % acceptance rate :)).

Persephassa,

Wow, it's good to hear that one can get by with only $ 9,500 the first year ! (With roommates, sure!). I thought there was no escaping loans... But if, frugally, one can make it without loans, then I'd consider it -- because I just can't afford to owe money (I'm an international student -- even if I wanted to (which I don't), loans would be beyond my reach). But I'm currently a grad student, so I'm used to being poor :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved