Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Brown University MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
136539 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

felixqvarga

Feb 9, 2007, 12:41 PM

Post #76 of 351 (7482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Junior Maas] Brown University MFA Can't Post

hi there,
well, let's see. I suppose it depends on your definition of weird. Yes there was a writer in my year who was doing work very much in the Derby/Marcus vein, but there were also writers doing more accessible, (quasi) realist stuff. If I were you i would check out some journals like elimae.com, Conjunctions, McSweeney's, Opium, and diagram; myself and several other current or former Brown grads have published work therein and I feel like that might give you a better idea of the general aesthetic. But my experience was very much that you were encouraged to do your own thing, whatever that was. About the only kinds of work I could say probably would not be very compatible would be, like, very mainstream literary fiction, chick lit, genre fiction --that type of thing.

Pigeonlover

Feb 9, 2007, 1:15 PM

Post #77 of 351 (7451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [felixqvarga] Brown University MFA Can't Post

Hey, Felix. I don't suppose you have any idea as to whether or not playwriting decisions have been made? I imagine that selection process is separate from the other genres, but I figured I'd throw the question out there!

Thanks.

felixqvarga

Feb 9, 2007, 1:46 PM

Post #78 of 351 (7433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pigeonlover] Brown University MFA Can't Post

Yes I heard today that playwriting decisions have not been made yet but it is down to a final ten and final decision should be sometime next week.

afkasmhop

Feb 11, 2007, 11:00 PM

Post #79 of 351 (7311 views)
Shortcut

If you're in, you should hear soon. Seems like Brown tries to notify those who are in during the month of Feb. I get that from looking around the web at various programs. It does seem to differ a tad from year to year, but overall, acceptances seem to occur in feb// while rejections dont come out til march. I am SO hoping to hear something this week.

A valentine's day gift!?

(This post was edited by afkasmhop on Feb 11, 2007, 11:05 PM)

plumagemour

Feb 12, 2007, 1:20 PM

Post #80 of 351 (7219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [afkasmhop] Brown University MFA Can't Post

ugghhhh

jgarbe

Feb 12, 2007, 1:42 PM

Post #81 of 351 (7196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [plumagemour] Brown University MFA Can't Post

I second Plumagemour's sentiment. Knowing our collective fate will be decided soon has made me schizophrenic, reading too much into everything. A missed call from Connecticut? But I don't know anyone from Connecticut! Connecticut is right next to...Rhode Island. Quick Wikipedia! Where does Robert Coover live?

This forum is bad for my equilibrium. And yet such a necessary, necessary drug. This is nothing that hasn't been said before.

~Jacob

afkasmhop

Feb 12, 2007, 2:36 PM

Post #82 of 351 (7150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jgarbe] Brown University MFA Can't Post

I keep hearing heidi Klum in my head-- when she's on Project Runway she always says:
"either you're In, or you're OUT!" in that crazy accent.

SO, I keep thinking this. Either you're in, or you're out! I'm out I'm out I just know it so damnit brown, tell me already.

(This post was edited by afkasmhop on Feb 16, 2007, 1:08 PM)

Arkinese

Feb 12, 2007, 2:44 PM

Post #83 of 351 (7136 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Either you're in, or you're out! I'm out I'm out I just know it so damnit brown, tell me already.

As the kids say: "Word." Also: When you know exactly how many students each school will accept it's like a countdown. "What? One person already got in?! In FICTION?! Arrrrrgghhhh.... One spot gone, four to go!" (Not that it's happened yet with Brown, but, hypothetically speaking.) It's like the Into the Woods song: "One midnight gone! Two midnights gone!"

piratelizzy

Feb 12, 2007, 3:33 PM

Post #84 of 351 (7099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Arkinese] Brown University MFA Can't Post

One spot gone, four to go!

Plus don't forget that not everyone who applied posts here, so that's "one spot" that we'll hear of here, but I keep thinking of all those others out there who may have heard already, without my knowing.

So really, I'm f*cked. But I had to try. :D

'sup?!

Arkinese

Feb 12, 2007, 5:32 PM

Post #85 of 351 (7040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piratelizzy] Brown University MFA Can't Post

In Reply To
Plus don't forget that not everyone who applied posts here, so that's "one spot" that we'll hear of here, but I keep thinking of all those others out there who may have heard already, without my knowing.

Oh, I know, the odds are dwindling—possibly as we speak—but since a lot of people here seem to be getting into programs, I hope at least ONE of us will hear something from many different programs so we can all gauge when the other shoe will drop!

ecphraticknolls

Feb 12, 2007, 6:53 PM

Post #86 of 351 (6999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Arkinese] Brown University MFA Can't Post

Some of these schools are such lottery picks in terms of acceptance, that I don’t think that it is worth stressing out over. Lets just hope that something positive happens to us in this whole process… I mean, I think I’m over stressing out over a single school. I did it momentarily with Indiana… but then I found out that they didn’t even have my transcripts. And that they will be making decisions throughout the month. That, combined with the fact that I got into one of my backup schools (not officially in letter form yet, but there was some stipulation with my TA application that they wanted to clear up so they gave me the nod… but I don’t think that it is appropriate to list the school yet because of that…) kind of gave me a bit of perspective in terms of these ‘lottery’ schools. I’ll be really happy if I get into one, but I need to accept the fact that there is a very good chance that I won’t get into any of them. Just be happy to be alive and such. Maybe the safety school thing makes my comments a little unfair, but, I mean, I think anyone here can get into an MFA program SOMEWHERE. So, just be happy and try to grow as a writer.

afkasmhop

Feb 14, 2007, 12:28 PM

Post #87 of 351 (6885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecphraticknolls] Brown University MFA Can't Post

Maybe I should have asked to speak to an admissions person instead of the secretary?

(This post was edited by afkasmhop on Feb 16, 2007, 1:07 PM)

LateApplicant

Feb 14, 2007, 12:40 PM

Post #88 of 351 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Yes, I'm DYING to call, but if I refrain it's because a former Brown MFAer (see above, this thread) said that Brown would be calling or emailing their acceptees soon. But forchrissake, if the letters are "ready to go", why haven't they called yet? And what if they did? What if they did and nobody in this board has been accepted by Brown? OK, I'll either call Brown and as politely as I can ask them whether they've already contacted their acceptees, or gulp down 50 grams of Xanax and wake up around April... If I do the former, I'll post the results of my inquiry ASAP.

LateApplicant

Feb 14, 2007, 12:55 PM

Post #89 of 351 (6860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LateApplicant] Brown University MFA Can't Post

Well, I called the Literary Arts Program, and asked whether acceptees have been (or will be) notified over the phone. I was told "applicants will be notified by letter by mid-March." I tried to rephrase the question, hinting that I knew they might phone their acceptees, but I got the same answer, "applicants will be notified by letter by mid-March." So I guess they must be sick of people calling them. Or they're just plain sadistic. OK, I'm doing the xanax now. See you in April. Wish me a good nap.

piratelizzy

Feb 14, 2007, 1:24 PM

Post #90 of 351 (6834 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for checking that out Late. Now, for frog's sake, let's all try to calm down a little and put the brakes on the collective angst. It's going to be OK. :o) Things are as they are and nothing is going to change them now. And they will be revealed to us at some point soon. Let's enjoy the wait, since we have to wait ;o) Anybody want to PM me to rattle and rant, feel free.

'sup?!

piratelizzy

Feb 14, 2007, 1:44 PM

Post #91 of 351 (6805 views)
Shortcut

OK, I called the Graduate School and here is what the woman said:

"They're just starting to come out. The decisions should be mailed in the next two weeks."

So the program has just started notifying the GS of their picks, and the GS will be mailing out letters by Feb 28. Not much that's new, but it shouldn't be too long now.

'sup?!

Arkinese

Feb 14, 2007, 2:34 PM

Post #92 of 351 (6769 views)
Shortcut

You guys are awesome. I will sleep better from now on!

schambers1980

Feb 14, 2007, 2:34 PM

Post #93 of 351 (6767 views)
Shortcut

I may be wrong, but I really feel like we would have heard from someone on one of these obsessive internet communities if they'd already called people. Someone somewhere would have announced it. I'm betting the calls haven't been made yet; I'm betting they'll make them at the end of this week or sometime next week. Christ, I need a drink.

LateApplicant

Feb 15, 2007, 2:54 AM

Post #94 of 351 (6656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [schambers1980] Brown University MFA Can't Post

What you say makes sense to me, schambers. You're right: the word of Brown making calls would have gotten to us one way or the other. So I guess we should, as piratelizzy suggests, calm down a little bit. But it's not easy :)

On the other hand, someone above (can't remember the codename) said, "SO the question is, does lit arts call after the grad school sends letters, or have they called already and the "you will be notified by mail in march" means you're not in, but we cant tell you til we get ppl comiitted to come."

So, if schambers is right, the calls haven't been made yet. However, there's still the interesting question (raised in the above quote) about whether lit arts will call before or after the grad school sends the letters. Man, I wish it were before those letters are sent. I doubt that the Grad School would know this -- they'd have to know the particular policies of each department and program. BUT maybe some current or former Brown student might now that. Felixkvargas, are you there? Do you know whether the Lit Arts Prgm makes calls before the letters are sent by the grad school?

Anyway, I'm sorry I'm still fanning these barren flames. I guess we'll just have to stay put and suck it up... But wouldn't it be some improvement to know whether Brown will make the calls this week, as opposed to a month from now???

apelavin

Feb 15, 2007, 4:09 AM

Post #95 of 351 (6645 views)
Shortcut

FWIW: Seth Abramson, who seems to be pretty good at trolling these here internets for this kind of information, has reposted last year's earliest recorded response time and method here. Last year the first person to hear from Brown (at least the first who posted that info online) got a phone call on March 6th. It seems like most programs are responding around the same time this year, so it will probably be another two to three weeks before they let anyone know.

chrisgrrd
Christoph Girard

Feb 19, 2007, 4:09 AM

Post #96 of 351 (6483 views)
Shortcut
Status Can't Post

I haven't been on this board for a year. I've applied for poetry and electronic as a transfer MFA. I am positive I won't get acceptance into electronic but I'm hoping to know whether I hear Gander or Wright's voice soon for poetry. Digital media is the primary reason. I wish that more writers, whether they be some of Cooper's proteges, will introduce electronic writing to other MFA programs. I'll keep everyone updated on my acceptance or rejection notification.

"Congratulations... oops, wrong number."

Ideally, I'm only hoping to know, but I'll be sad if it doesn't work out. I looked at Brown's snowy campus on YouTube with a student building a snowman and others riding lunch trays on icy walkways. It's surreal to this Californian. :)

mrsriley72

Feb 19, 2007, 10:21 AM

Post #97 of 351 (6435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisgrrd] Status Can't Post

NEW ENGLAND has had a mild winter! There hasnt been any snow in providence area this year. Actually. It snowed twice. Once back in late fall, 1 inch melted by noon. And, once last week (big storm predicted) they got a cpl hours of wet sleet ,which melted by noon.
I think most Providence folks would love to be in SOCAL bc what prov does have this year is plenty of bitter bitter wind! I wonder, are there any MFA programs out on Cape Cod? They got slammed with snow this year...

In Reply To
I haven't been on this board for a year. I've applied for poetry and electronic as a transfer MFA. I am positive I won't get acceptance into electronic but I'm hoping to know whether I hear Gander or Wright's voice soon for poetry. Digital media is the primary reason. I wish that more writers, whether they be some of Cooper's proteges, will introduce electronic writing to other MFA programs. I'll keep everyone updated on my acceptance or rejection notification.

"Congratulations... oops, wrong number."

Ideally, I'm only hoping to know, but I'll be sad if it doesn't work out. I looked at Brown's snowy campus on YouTube with a student building a snowman and others riding lunch trays on icy walkways. It's surreal to this Californian. :)

persephassa
roxanne carter

Feb 19, 2007, 10:32 PM

Post #98 of 351 (6316 views)
Shortcut

oh dear... well, if it helps ease yr anxiety any, i didn't receive my mfa fiction acceptance letter until march 8 (i also live (& lived) up the street from brown, so it hadn't far to travel). i got my letter before gale called me. by the time he called, i had already sent in my acceptance (i only applied to brown). carole maso told us in workshop they had chosen the next five, but she didn't elaborate and we smothered our curiosity, so i don't know annnnnyyyything. i think c.d. wright calls the poets. robert coover will be abroad for the next two years, but john cayley is coming in as new electronic writing faculty. i don't know if they have chosen their new chosen one.

# www.persephassa.com

(This post was edited by persephassa on Feb 19, 2007, 10:40 PM)

renapoo

Feb 19, 2007, 11:25 PM

Post #99 of 351 (6273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [persephassa] Brown University MFA Can't Post

roxanne,

thanks for the info. i checked out your website; your work looks lovely. Interesting how so much of it has a strong visual element--that jives with my idea of the kind of candidates Brown is looking for. Doesn't feel like there's much hope for me, though. I'm interested in doing more visual/physical fiction, but didn't have anything like that to send to the committee this past fall. sigh.

mrsriley72

Feb 20, 2007, 12:14 AM

Post #100 of 351 (6244 views)
Shortcut
Re: [persephassa] Brown University MFA Can't Post

In Reply To
oh dear... well, if it helps ease yr anxiety any, i didn't receive my mfa fiction acceptance letter until march 8 (i also live (& lived) up the street from brown, so it hadn't far to travel). i got my letter before gale called me. by the time he called, i had already sent in my acceptance (i only applied to brown). carole maso told us in workshop they had chosen the next five, but she didn't elaborate and we smothered our curiosity, so i don't know annnnnyyyything. i think c.d. wright calls the poets. robert coover will be abroad for the next two years, but john cayley is coming in as new electronic writing faculty. i don't know if they have chosen their new chosen one.

when did Carole Maso say that the choice had been made?

thx!
pS: where did you get the amazing illustrative artwork for your website?

(This post was edited by mrsriley72 on Feb 20, 2007, 12:25 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved