Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Brown University MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
137142 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

jonathandavid

Nov 13, 2006, 10:28 PM

Post #51 of 351 (8228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [persephassa] current Brown student here Can't Post

Thanks so much! Am trying to get all of my thoughts straight, and strategy on point. Hope you don't mind if I shoot you some questions in the next couple weeks (deadline is December 15th), and I will check out your website.

garani83

Dec 9, 2006, 7:29 AM

Post #52 of 351 (8132 views)
Shortcut
Playwrighting at Brown Can't Post

A friend of mine just introduced me to this forum and I was wondering if anyone knew about playwrighting at Brown. i am applying for Playwrighting and Fiction.

garani83

Dec 9, 2006, 5:53 PM

Post #53 of 351 (8088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [felixqvarga] jsp, never mind, i reread your post Can't Post

HI "felix",
I'm new to this forum and was wondering what you knew about the playwrighting program, If anything. I am applying for fiction and playwrighting.

Any information would be great!

-Thanks

afkasmhop

Dec 11, 2006, 12:26 PM

Post #54 of 351 (8016 views)
Shortcut
will a creative statemnet hurt? Can't Post

i have written a creative statement, rather informal, but hits all the neccesary highpoints.

(This post was edited by afkasmhop on Feb 2, 2007, 2:43 PM)

Moonshade

Dec 13, 2006, 2:44 PM

Post #55 of 351 (7936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [afkasmhop] will a creative statemnet hurt? Can't Post

afkasmhop, IMHO, I think your statement MUST be personal and professional. It should be written with the essence of who you are and have a conversational tone. I don't think you want to be stiff and formal. Let someone else read your SOP and get their reaction to it.

Have you read Tom Kealey's MFA Creative Writing Handbook blog? http://creative-writing-mfa-handbook.blogspot.com/

How about Nov./Dec. 2005 Poet's & Writer's magazine where Author Steve Almond outlined what you should and shouldn't write in your SOP. Hope this helps.

Personally I'd rather read a riveting lifestory than a boring reguritation of why someone wants to be a writer.

harvardmfa

Dec 13, 2006, 7:05 PM

Post #56 of 351 (7897 views)
Shortcut
When does Brown notify its applicants? Can't Post

When does Brown usually send out its yays and nays?

afkasmhop

Dec 15, 2006, 12:31 AM

Post #57 of 351 (7839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [harvardmfa] When does Brown notify its applicants? Can't Post

not sure when they notify. Did you apply? I sent mine today.

The waiting game is too much like watching a pot boil, a long slow process.

schambers1980

Dec 16, 2006, 2:46 PM

Post #58 of 351 (7783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [afkasmhop] When does Brown notify its applicants? Can't Post

Pretty sure it'll be mid-February through March, depending. There are some useful comments about previous years' notices on the LiveJournal community Who_Got_In.

afkasmhop

Jan 29, 2007, 8:15 PM

Post #59 of 351 (7670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [schambers1980] When does Brown notify its applicants? Can't Post

Brown applicants?
What did you apply to (genre) and whatis your general feeling?

LateApplicant

Jan 29, 2007, 8:20 PM

Post #60 of 351 (7668 views)
Shortcut

Fiction.

General feeling? I'd have more chances of winning the lotto...

renapoo

Jan 29, 2007, 8:53 PM

Post #61 of 351 (7653 views)
Shortcut

I'm fiction too. My feeling is, I'm not sure if I'd be a good fit (am I "experimental" enough?), but I'll let them decide.

Arkinese

Jan 29, 2007, 9:14 PM

Post #62 of 351 (7644 views)
Shortcut

Fiction...and I love how when the FAQ is "What are my chances of getting in?" they don't even say "Slim" or, more appropriately, "nonexistent." They just give you the stats: 650 to 700 applications a year, 5 fiction, 5 poetry, 3 playwrighting and 1 electronic. So about a 2 or 3% chance depending on how many of the 700 are fiction. What do you guys figure are the percentage numbers for fiction, poetry and playwrighting? 40-40-20? 40-40-15 with 5% electronic writing? Or is electronic writing really popular now?

Jan 29, 2007, 11:51 PM

Post #63 of 351 (7608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Arkinese] When does Brown notify its applicants? Can't Post

I'm pretty sure they only accept one electronic writing student...

...and I'm still scratching my head over why Coover should be dawdling around w/ that when his tremendous abilities could be directed elsewhere.

Another headscratcher: I'm forever trying to puzzle out what 'experimental' means to each school, anyway. I mean, Ben Marcus and Mathew Derby went to Brown, and I love their stuff, but does that still pass for 'experimental'? Among folks who know a wee bit about the history of experimental lit?

Is there some sort of Brown checklist? Like, Hey Bob, this guys got the meta- angle covered, but his stories are pretty standard in length and the paragraphs aren't divided up and individually titled. What do you think, Bob? Experimental enough?

Hrm...

six five four three two one 0 ->

jgarbe

Jan 31, 2007, 1:22 PM

Post #64 of 351 (7531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Junior Maas] When does Brown notify its applicants? Can't Post

I applied to Electronic Fiction as well as Fiction.

My general feelings, after looking at the pedigree of past Electronic Writers at Brown (and they do only accept one a year) is that my chances of getting in are the same as winning the lottery, and then having a bolt of lightning vaporize my lotto ticket while I wave it around shrieking.

Almost exclusively the past Electronic Writers have already had a Masters in Computer Science or Design. They have also come to the program boasting design contracts with companies like Nike, or personal projects that boggle the mind of your day-to-day humble HTML writer. If anyone's interested, I can pass on the names and links that Persephassa was good enough to share with me.

The best way to think about it I feel is as a fellowship. It's one person a year; that's not a workshop!

That said, I applied to both because I wanted to effectively double my portfolio submission, and show what I'm capable of in different mediums. The fiction program, as I understand it, offers probably many and most of the same opportunities the EW gets, if one is intrepid and daring.

Good luck to everyone! I'm doing my best to forget about grad school and get on with life, so I don't torture myself to death like last year.

~Jacob

Arkinese

Jan 31, 2007, 4:50 PM

Post #65 of 351 (7474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jgarbe] When does Brown notify its applicants? Can't Post

In Reply To
My general feelings, after looking at the pedigree of past Electronic Writers at Brown (and they do only accept one a year) is that my chances of getting in are the same as winning the lottery, and then having a bolt of lightning vaporize my lotto ticket while I wave it around shrieking.

Almost exclusively the past Electronic Writers have already had a Masters in Computer Science or Design. They have also come to the program boasting design contracts with companies like Nike, or personal projects that boggle the mind of your day-to-day humble HTML writer.

I really liked that you not only had yourself winning the lottery but took it one step further. Optimism at its finest! That's insane about the Electronic Writers already having all those credentials under their belts. Imagine if applicants in fiction and poetry had to have those. "Oh, yes, I had three short stories published by the New Yorker just in this past year and I'm working on a four-book deal with Little, Brown...."

Why do you think they only accept one EW a year? It really doesn't seem like much of a "workshop" in that sense. I'd think that the EW would at least want some company...

jgarbe

Jan 31, 2007, 5:38 PM

Post #66 of 351 (7443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Arkinese] When does Brown notify its applicants? Can't Post

I'd be overjoyed if they decided to expand the program to include more people, but I think for whatever departmental/institutional reasons this is all they can offer. I think basically it's a fellowship in workshop's clothing, because the application pool is so competitive for just one spot that it violates the sort of operating assumptions of a workshop. My impressions are that the e-writer is a sort of celebrity fiction writer that ghosts around any of the workshops they want, with the stipulation that they must do a course with the sweet-nectared CAVE VR system, under the keen tutelage of mssr. Coover.

It's the only official program of its kind in the country, although Iowa (gasp!) has a hyperfiction magazine so I applied there as well. The Art Institute of Chicago also has Judd Morrissey (former Brown grad) and a completely cross-departmental curriculum, so opportunity knocks there as well. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has a hyperfiction magazine that pretty much all the faculty are involved in, and techno-keen Richard Powers as the writer-in-residence.

So basically, Brown is the only program that officially offers an electronic writing program, but I feel there are many other programs around the US "ripe" for the hungry applicant. At least I hope this is true. Because that's what I did.

~Jacob

felixqvarga

Feb 8, 2007, 10:23 PM

Post #67 of 351 (7321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sarandipidy] Brown University MFA Can't Post

Hello to all, I'm a graduate of Brown's MFA program (finished this past May). I wanted to let everyone know that a little bird told me that final decisions (in Fiction, at least) were made today. So I would imagine notifications will be sent out next week sometime. Best of luck to everyone, and if anyone has any questions about the program ask away!!

Felix

afkasmhop

Feb 9, 2007, 12:05 AM

Post #68 of 351 (7281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [felixqvarga] Brown University MFA Can't Post

felix... no way! that seems far too early! Can you please PLEASE ask your little birdy about poetry?
Also, you say decisions were made, but should we assume they will start notifying or do they have to go through some graduate school process (outside the department) that might cause the customary "not hear anything til march" delay.

PLEASE advise.

your kernal of info is like manna for starving artists!

thank youuuuuuuuuu!!!

renapoo

Feb 9, 2007, 12:28 AM

Post #69 of 351 (7267 views)
Shortcut

Sweet! May your little bird chirp on forever!

felixqvarga

Feb 9, 2007, 1:02 AM

Post #70 of 351 (7251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [afkasmhop] Brown University MFA Can't Post

Hi well I'll see what I can find out...but you might be right, it might take a couple of weeks to hear anything. not sure what the process is. But anyway, just came across that info and thought I'd pass it along.

f

LateApplicant

Feb 9, 2007, 1:34 AM

Post #71 of 351 (7240 views)
Shortcut

Hey Felixqvarga,

Another question for your little bird: Do you know whether the Brown faculty or staff will be saintly enough to notify acceptees over the phone or email before the snail-mail letters get past all the administrative hurdles? I imagine that since Brown accepts such a tiny number of people, they could notify them informally, right? It'd take just a few minutes to make those phone calls or send those emails :)

How were you notified? Email? Snail mail? Phone?

THANKS !!!

felixqvarga

Feb 9, 2007, 9:20 AM

Post #72 of 351 (7190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LateApplicant] Brown University MFA Can't Post

Hi LateApplicant,

I was notified by phone, by Gale Nelson. If I recall it was sometime around mid-February. I would guess things are still done the same way, if not then you'd get an email. I highly doubt anyone would receive their first notification by snail mail. Hope this helps!

F

Feb 9, 2007, 10:16 AM

Post #73 of 351 (7162 views)
Shortcut

Hey Felix:

If you're up for answering Brown questions, I'm dying to know what kind of work was 'shopped when you were there. What does 'experimental' mean to Brown? Did the stories kind of match up with those Brown grads I've read--Derby and Marcus? Were they unbelievably weird, or just semi-so?

Enquiring minds, etc.

six five four three two one 0 ->

afkasmhop

Feb 9, 2007, 11:04 AM

Post #74 of 351 (7130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Junior Maas] Brown University MFA Can't Post

I am fairly sure that the genres are decided by separate committees, so I wonder if they hold the repsonses back til each committe has decided? I sure would like to be a fly on the wall

=)

LateApplicant

Feb 9, 2007, 12:40 PM

Post #75 of 351 (7096 views)
Shortcut

Hi F,

Thanks! It does help. Now we know that if we Brown-waiters aren't notified within the next couple of weeks... we're out. That's much better than being uncertain until April...

LA

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved