Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Brown University MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
135929 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

felixqvarga

Mar 13, 2006, 9:37 AM

Post #26 of 351 (7152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lytonyawename] Electronic writers all want to know! Can't Post

full funding, basically tuition plus stipend, (plus insurance etc). Everyone
in the program gets exactly the same. The stipend is twice the amount second year because we teach one class per semester. But providence is not that cheap, esp if you want to live near campus. (I pay almost $1000 for a one-bedroom, so there you go).
We're only required to take one class in addition to our workshop each semester, but you can take a second class if you wish and tuition is still covered. Teaching does cut into writing time a lot --with seventeen students, I spend A LOT of time reading/critiquing their papers. But all in all I have gotten a lot of writing done here, and I would say have definitely become a better writer due to my time here. Hope that answers your questions...

fqv

jgarbe

Mar 13, 2006, 6:39 PM

Post #27 of 351 (7074 views)
Shortcut
waiting on the mailman Can't Post

Well, according to the Waiting Game thread the letters are on their way. Best of luck to everyone. Seems rather strange that they won't send an email, or relay the information over the phone. Unnecessarily secretive. I called up the admissions lady to confirm, and she wouldn't give me anything but a reading from a prepared statement.

It's been known for mail to take up to three weeks to get here (in extreme cases)...so I suppose that answers my earlier question.

Good luck everyone!

~Jacob

jsp

Mar 15, 2006, 5:52 AM

Post #28 of 351 (6993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [felixqvarga] current Brown student here Can't Post

Felix,

I have been put on the waiting list for fiction at Brown. I am figuring that with only five spots, and the experimental nature of the program being fairly self-selecting, there is little chance that a spot opens up. You are probably not in a position to confirm this, but I wonder if you know of anybody currently in the program who got in off of the waiting list? Thanks.

(This post was edited by jsp on Mar 15, 2006, 5:53 AM)

viviandarkbloom

Mar 15, 2006, 12:58 PM

Post #29 of 351 (6948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [felixqvarga] Electronic writers all want to know! Can't Post

A question for the current Brown student (fqv) and the waitlisted one (jsp): would you consider your work experimental? I'm thinking about applying there next year because some of my stories might be considered marginally experimental (although not by me; if you ask me, the experimentalism in my work is ultimately superficial) but I'm hesitant to waste my application on such a selective program.

felixqvarga

Mar 15, 2006, 1:36 PM

Post #30 of 351 (6929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jsp] current Brown student here Can't Post

Hi, well congrats on being waitlisted...to my knowledge no one who is currently in the program started on the waitlist...but I am sure that it happens. Did you apply in fiction or poetry?

Vivian: well, it depends on your definition of experimental, I suppose. I would classiy my work as more satirical/absurdist. But there is quite a variety this year, and there are people who are writing pretty straightforward narrative. I really don't think the program privileges experimentalism, at least not in any formal sense

hope that helps

fqv

felixqvarga

Mar 15, 2006, 1:38 PM

Post #31 of 351 (6924 views)
Shortcut
jsp, never mind, i reread your post Can't Post

and you said you're waitlisted for fiction. Best of luck

fqv

jsp

Mar 16, 2006, 5:28 AM

Post #32 of 351 (6841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [viviandarkbloom] Electronic writers all want to know! Can't Post

Viviandarkbloom,

It doesn't feel very experimental writing it, unless that is code for lacking in plot or character development. Perhaps I have an unconventional perspective. In hindsight I wish I had sent some of my stranger stuff. I think my sample was too odd for most programs and not quite enough for Brown. If anything my experience -- positive from Hunter, waitlist at Brown, and negative from Syracuse and Bard, with word still out from others -- shows how subjective the process is, and would speak to applying to lots of places.

viviandarkbloom

Mar 16, 2006, 11:25 AM

Post #33 of 351 (6802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jsp] Electronic writers all want to know! Can't Post

Yeah, that's kind of how I think of my own writing too: too strange for most but not strange enough for Brown. Maybe I'll give Brown a shot next year. Experimentalism is nice, and I love formal invention, but at the end of the day, I still want the same things: well-developed characters, conflict, story, etc. John Hawkes said something about wanting to write with no characters, plot or theme; I've only read two of his novels but I found all three of those things in both. It seems to me that maybe experimentalism (or at least the kind I like) is just different packaging on the old, traditional values: characters. Maybe. But then again, I've tried reading Donald Barthelme and just didn't get much out of it, so who knows.

chrisgrrd
Christoph Girard

Mar 16, 2006, 2:33 PM

Post #34 of 351 (6755 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by chrisgrrd

jgarbe

Mar 17, 2006, 4:22 PM

Post #35 of 351 (6663 views)
Shortcut
Who's the winner? Can't Post

After three months of agonizing, it's over. Got rejected.

Personally, I don't see what's so secret that they couldn't have just immediately posted the choices to a website or something. Provided a code to those who applied, so we could see.

Does anyone know who the lucky soul is that got the electronic writing seat?

~Jacob

(This post was edited by jgarbe on Mar 17, 2006, 4:24 PM)

JosephC

Mar 17, 2006, 7:13 PM

Post #36 of 351 (6623 views)
Shortcut

jsp, how did they notify you to let you know you were on the waitlist? By phone or paper mail?

jsp

Mar 17, 2006, 11:20 PM

Post #37 of 351 (6588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JosephC] current Brown student here Can't Post

Paper mail. But even on the list I would need the majority of those admitted to die. I don't think I want it that badly. Almost.

motet
Dana Davis / Moderator

Mar 18, 2006, 10:42 AM

Post #38 of 351 (6547 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
But even on the list I would need the majority of those admitted to die. I don't think I want it that badly. Almost.

That got an *LOL*!...and I'm not sure why it struck me in such a funny way.

Maybe it's because I understand in every pore and fiber of my body, how you feel.....

felixqvarga

Mar 18, 2006, 12:12 PM

Post #39 of 351 (6525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisgrrd] jsp, never mind, i reread your post Can't Post

Chrisgrrd,

I wouldn't worry that much about your "low-pedigree" school. That might be a factor in some of the other grad programs at Brown but for the MFA it really is all about the work...I know at least one student who was admitted into the MFA program several years ago WITHOUT an undergrad degree.

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 18, 2006, 12:26 PM

Post #40 of 351 (6515 views)
Shortcut

It isn't impossible. For the last class of one top 10 MFA program the directors had 18 rejections. Just went down and down the list.

HopperFu

Mar 18, 2006, 3:17 PM

Post #41 of 351 (6491 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Paper mail. But even on the list I would need the majority of those admitted to die. I don't think I want it that badly. Almost.

As long as they die of natural causes. I don't want to read about you in the papers....

persephassa
roxanne carter

Mar 20, 2006, 7:11 PM

Post #42 of 351 (6405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jgarbe] Who's the winner? Can't Post

In Reply To

Does anyone know who the lucky soul is that got the electronic writing seat?

i'm not sure, but i was also rejected for electronic writing.
however, i was accepted for fiction at brown!
i am really curious about the incoming students. ??? anyone??

# www.persephassa.com

(This post was edited by persephassa on Mar 20, 2006, 7:17 PM)

JosephC

Mar 20, 2006, 7:20 PM

Post #43 of 351 (6395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [persephassa] Who's the winner? Can't Post

Congrats, persephassa! I'm quite a bit jealous, as I haven't heard a peep from Brown and am expecting not to get in. When did you hear the good news? Did they call or send you an email or letter? You've got a great program awaiting you in the fall, well done!

persephassa
roxanne carter

Mar 20, 2006, 7:27 PM

Post #44 of 351 (6391 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JosephC] Who's the winner? Can't Post

hey, thanks. i am so excited. i was really shocked when i opened my letter, i felt very lucky.

i have a friend who still hasn't heard anything from them either (she applied for poetry), & i am reaaalllly hoping she gets in. she has the cutest dog. but uh, i got my acceptance for fiction on 03/08, gale nelson called me on 03/13, i got my rejection for electronic writing on 3/15. you'd think they'd send them all out at once, or uhhh... put it in the same letter! but i also got my letters probably earlier than other people, i live in providence up the street from brown, so the mail didn't travel too far.

# www.persephassa.com

franz

Mar 20, 2006, 11:47 PM

Post #45 of 351 (6332 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations! What a selective, awesome program to get into! Checked out your website-- it's really cool, and I'm surprised you didn't get the electronic writing spot. But then I have no clue what you were up against, since I've only just begun to learn about electronic writing from this forum.

Franz Knupfer, author of short stories and novels

JosephC

Mar 22, 2006, 4:03 PM

Post #46 of 351 (6259 views)
Shortcut

Has anyone *still* not heard from Brown? Am I the only one? Another day's mail passed without a rejection letter. It's starting to make me angry. Sniff.

mayfly

Mar 22, 2006, 4:07 PM

Post #47 of 351 (6253 views)
Shortcut

No, I still haven't heard as well--and I am starting to get really frustrated. I just want closure...

vitadimanche

Mar 22, 2006, 8:58 PM

Post #48 of 351 (6208 views)
Shortcut

I haven't heard either, for Poetry. And it's my first choice. And it's pretty obvious by now that I'm not getting in, since I haven't gotten called. But what takes so long for a rejection letter?

jonathandavid

Nov 6, 2006, 1:34 PM

Post #49 of 351 (6058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [felixqvarga] current Brown student here Can't Post

I am in the process of applying to Brown. I visited a month or so ago. Am wondering how you posed your statement of purpose (intent) to them, in addition to your writing sample...I have read some statements that are surprisingly informal, and always assumed that I ought to keep a sort of professionalism with the review board. What tactic did you take, would you recommend?

cheers

can email at jonathandavidbennett@mac.com also

persephassa
roxanne carter

Nov 13, 2006, 3:04 AM

Post #50 of 351 (5983 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonathandavid] current Brown student here Can't Post

wellll i know people do all sorts of different things & i suppose it wld partially depend on which emphasis yr applying for... i had someone who graduated from the mfa program at brown look at my statement before i did turn it in & she said that mine was totally different than hers had been, in respect to our experiences/interests. i think the statement at brown is just as at any mfa program, they are not really looking for a creative statement. carole maso said that they do really look at the statements to see what sort of writer you think you are and why you want to come to brown; they want people who will 'fit' into the program - whatever that means, all of the current students have wildly disparate styles, so. personally, i talked about who i wanted to study with on the faculty & in other departments at brown & why etc; i tried to frame the writing i do in a theoretical discourse & i talked about things i wld like to investigate during my time at brown... i have portions of my statement on my website in the 'about' sections linked from [1] the index & [2] the notebook index (my notebook is currently involved in a server fiasco, but it should magically reappear by tomorrow)

* anyhow, the fiasco is till in effect, but the google cache of the botebook about is here: http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache%3A1OPG9GWeLE4J%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fpersephassa.com%2Fhumanflower%2F%3Fpage_id%3D463%20persephassa%20notebook%20about

# www.persephassa.com

(This post was edited by persephassa on Nov 13, 2006, 1:42 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved