Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Brown University MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
137201 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

nine

Nov 12, 2009, 3:37 PM

Post #276 of 351 (6292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ericweinstein] uptake Can't Post

applying for poetry.

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Nov 12, 2009, 3:43 PM

Post #277 of 351 (6285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [morganapple] uptake Can't Post

Ditto, poetry. Will be e-submitting tonight, the Internet gods willing.

Hans Landa: You'll be shot for this!
Aldo Raine: Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Nov 12, 2009, 8:18 PM

Post #278 of 351 (6256 views)
Shortcut

Done—and now the waiting game begins.

Aldo Raine: Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

BLUECHEESE

Nov 12, 2009, 9:02 PM

Post #279 of 351 (6243 views)
Shortcut

You had me worried. It isn't due until the 15th of dec.

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Nov 12, 2009, 9:15 PM

Post #280 of 351 (6239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BLUECHEESE] uptake Can't Post

Yeah, true, and it's one of the earlier ones. Most have deadlines around 1/1 or 1/15, and my latest one is 3/1. I sleep better knowing I've gotten everything done well ahead of time, though, so I'm angling to have everything submitted, sent, paid, &c for all my schools by the end of the first week in December.

BLUECHEESE

Nov 12, 2009, 9:18 PM

Post #281 of 351 (6238 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, I'll have all of mine done by then, too, actually. I do want to tweak my statements of purpose quite a bit for each school, so that may cut into my time a bit... but yeah, I feel you on the getting them done early thing.

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Nov 12, 2009, 9:33 PM

Post #282 of 351 (6232 views)
Shortcut

Definitely a good idea to customize each SoP to each school—it takes a fair amount of extra time, but I figure if we as applicants don't take the time to learn about the programs, why should the programs take time to evaluate our manuscripts/SoPs and learn about us?

BLUECHEESE

Nov 12, 2009, 10:00 PM

Post #283 of 351 (6225 views)
Shortcut

I'd have a hard time NOT doing it, honestly.

I have very real reasons why I'm applying to all of the schools I picked.

I do wonder about name dropping. Is it okay? I don't think I'd do it at a place like Brown. The faculty are too famous.

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Nov 12, 2009, 10:08 PM

Post #284 of 351 (6223 views)
Shortcut

Again, agreed—I'd have a hard time not doing it as well. As for name-dropping, sorry, I should have been more clear—I meant any proper nouns (e.g. names of publications, programs, cities, and so on). It would sound pretty bad if I were to tell Brown I'd love to work for Epoch, or Cornell that I'd love to investigate the Providence poetry scene. I think it's probably poor form to name-drop, especially with faculty at extremely well-regarded/selective programs. And even if I absolutely had my heart set on studying with, say, C.D. Wright (and I'm not saying I don't), I think it just sounds kind of pretentious (and it almost certainly is never meant that way) to go on about a faculty member or his/her work in an SoP. Who knows if that person will even be the one reading your application?

BLUECHEESE

Nov 12, 2009, 10:29 PM

Post #285 of 351 (6220 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, don't want to mix up information between applications.

I wonder about smaller programs. I mean, if I'm applying to a smaller program because of the faculty, would it not make sense to mention them. I mean, say I was applying to Boise State (I cut this program off my list, but it is a wonderful program)... would it be a bad idea to mention the poetry faculty even if it is 2/3 of them... Martin Corless-Smith and Janet Holmes wrote some damned amazing books... shouldn't I mention that I've read them someway or another? (I'm not applying here, but using it as an example... but they actually have written some F-ing amazing books... like I wouldn't be surprised if they move up to better mfa programs down the road.)

It is not like its Iowa or Brown or UMass.

Just thinking out loud, really.

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Nov 12, 2009, 10:38 PM

Post #286 of 351 (6217 views)
Shortcut

I suppose if the faculty is small and far and away your primary draw, it makes sense to mention them by name, but I'd just double-check that no one's going to be changing programs or going on sabbatical during your potential tenure there. (Those sorts of things seem to happen fairly frequently.)

danceanielle
Dani

Nov 14, 2009, 11:03 AM

Post #287 of 351 (6144 views)
Shortcut

Applying for poetry! They just approved my app. fee waiver, with a nice email to boot. Very friendly.
Good luck to all!

vaquero

Nov 29, 2009, 10:40 PM

Post #288 of 351 (5974 views)
Shortcut

I'm definitely applying in fiction, and thinking about applying in poetry too, though I'm wary of applying in multiple genres.

vaquero

Dec 3, 2009, 2:07 PM

Post #289 of 351 (5837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vaquero] uptake Can't Post

The Brown website lists its suggested writing sample length as 30-40 pages. This is different from many programs which list it as "under 40" or "under 30". My writing sample is 25 pages. Should I consider making it longer for Brown?

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Dec 3, 2009, 4:20 PM

Post #290 of 351 (5794 views)
Shortcut

I increased the size of my application portfolio in order to meet Brown's length requirement, but I feel like that's easier to do with poetry than fiction. My theory has always been to give them what they ask for.

bighark

Dec 3, 2009, 4:58 PM

Post #291 of 351 (5783 views)
Shortcut

Adding more to fiction almost always makes it weaker. Adding five pages to a 25 page sample is like writing an entirely new story.

Look at it this way: "Reunion" by John Cheever is about 1,100 words. In manuscript format (double spaced, 12 point Times Roman), that's four full pages, top-to-bottom, of text.

Can you write "Reunion" by December 15th?

My advice is to send your 25 pages. If you're still nervous, talk to the department directly to see if your application will be discounted without the extra five pages. My instinct is it won't.

Anyway, page count is a rather nebulous unit of measure. You may have 25 pages in Times, but switch to Courier (a perfectly acceptable manuscript font) and you get 32.

Good luck.

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Dec 3, 2009, 7:14 PM

Post #292 of 351 (5741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bighark] uptake Can't Post

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't recommend adding five pages to a 25-page story. I was thinking more along the lines of submitting a 10-page and a 20-page story instead of a single 25-page story. Then again, if you're absolutely sure that those 25 pages are your strongest work, I'd take bighark's advice. (Except maybe regarding the font business—personally, I've always found Courier a little hard on the eyes.)

redpanel

Dec 3, 2009, 11:41 PM

Post #293 of 351 (5708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nine] uptake Can't Post

i am fiction.

Godot Eyelashes

Dec 4, 2009, 12:30 AM

Post #294 of 351 (5700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WanderingTree] uptake Can't Post

Fiction it is.

vaquero

Dec 4, 2009, 3:59 PM

Post #295 of 351 (5653 views)
Shortcut

My writing sample is one 18-page story and one 7-page story and I'll probably just submit it as-is. What I was considering adding was a short novel excerpt or the first half of a novella.

WanderingTree

Jan 3, 2010, 12:34 PM

Post #296 of 351 (5340 views)
Shortcut

Anyone know if the FAFSA is required for Brown? I figured that all funded programs don't really require it unless you want to be eligible for loans (which I'm not taking), federal grants or work study positions. The language on the Literary Arts website makes me pause though. Any thoughts esp. from current/former students?

persephassa
roxanne carter

Jan 5, 2010, 10:34 PM

Post #297 of 351 (5203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WanderingTree] uptake Can't Post

former student.

no fafsa. they do WANT you to fill it out, i think because of some tax thing whereby the school may receive compensation from the government or something, but i never did it and never heard anything until someone from a mysterious office sent me an email in march of the year i graduated... so yeah. and i didn't fill it out then and i graduated so i guess it didn't matter. not doing it didn't result in a penalty or anything; i still received my stipend and all that. i'm in a phd program now where i am funded and they do want me to fill out the fafsa but i don't do it cause i don't want to borrow money and i hate filling out forms for no good reason. my advice is: don't bother.

# www.persephassa.com

(This post was edited by persephassa on Jan 5, 2010, 10:37 PM)

bbroker

Feb 3, 2010, 10:00 PM

Post #298 of 351 (4831 views)
Shortcut
new info? Can't Post

hey there, does anyone have any info on Brown thus far this year? In committee? The number of applications? (The numbers on TSE come from the website, so...) Anything to keep us tided over?

bunnytutu

Feb 5, 2010, 12:53 PM

Post #299 of 351 (4684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbroker] new info? Can't Post

Just heard yesterday from a faculty member that 20% of all applications received by the grad school at Brown were for the Literary Arts Program. He said between 800 - 900 applications...

cecilpeoples

Feb 5, 2010, 3:52 PM

Post #300 of 351 (4641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bunnytutu] new info? Can't Post

is there an application status website for brown?

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved