Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Brown University MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
141819 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

germericanqt

Jan 23, 2009, 3:12 PM

Post #226 of 351 (7345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [achtung00] E-mail from Brown Can't Post

Yeah, it's actually a stock letter from the Graduate School at Brown. Not the Graduate Department for Creative Writing, the entire Graduate School. Every single applicant for an MA, MFA, Ph.D of any kind got that e-mail.

fixittuesday

Jan 23, 2009, 4:36 PM

Post #227 of 351 (7300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [achtung00] E-mail from Brown Can't Post

I got it too. My heart absolutley jumped when I saw the subject line! But I think its a courtesy...Darn! Soon though, right?!

germericanqt

Jan 23, 2009, 4:38 PM

Post #228 of 351 (7294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fixittuesday] E-mail from Brown Can't Post

Probably not. They usually start notifying mid-February at the earliest.

nine

Feb 14, 2009, 6:35 PM

Post #229 of 351 (7098 views)
Shortcut
mysterious call Can't Post

missed a call from 401 (Providence). no message. anyone else? it could be the program or the grad school or it could also be nothing, maybe a telemarketer, but i've never gotten a call from 401 ever before. would the school call and not leave a message? if i don't hear anything by tuesday would it be a bad idea to call them and ask if someone was trying to contact me?

(This post was edited by spoons on Feb 14, 2009, 6:43 PM)

germericanqt

Feb 14, 2009, 7:11 PM

Post #230 of 351 (7080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spoons] mysterious call Can't Post

Re: bad idea, I don't know, but you can always google the number to see exactly who was calling you. Are you fiction or poetry?

bighark

Feb 14, 2009, 7:12 PM

Post #231 of 351 (7079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spoons] mysterious call Can't Post

This is AWP weekend, and the conference is still going on. It's not very likely that the 401 call was from Brown.

adadadad

Feb 23, 2009, 8:06 PM

Post #232 of 351 (6807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bighark] mysterious call Can't Post

No one's heard from Brown yet? No one's got that mysterious call?

bunnytutu

Feb 24, 2009, 4:50 PM

Post #233 of 351 (6681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adadadad] mysterious call Can't Post

calls, at this point, are probably not likely. there's still about three weeks to go based on last year. also, each genre is different here at brown (and like most programs). ALTHOUGH, i just remembered speaking to someone who knows of a fiction candidate who has already been notified. if you're a poet you'll most likely be notified by e-mail first. but who knows? the waiting sucks, i remember! hang in there.

PJwave1

Feb 24, 2009, 4:55 PM

Post #234 of 351 (6670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bunnytutu] mysterious call Can't Post

bunnytutu,

do you know if Brian Evenson makes the final decisions for each potential admit?

bunnytutu

Feb 24, 2009, 5:14 PM

Post #235 of 351 (6657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PJwave1] mysterious call Can't Post

you know i don't know for sure but i would guess that he does. he's kind of the representative fiction faculty member on campus right now (coover is around but i don't think he does this type of stuff). as an added bonus evenson would be delightful to speak to on the phone, if accepted. i'm crossing my fingers for all (more precisely the few) you future brownies.

germericanqt

Feb 24, 2009, 6:37 PM

Post #236 of 351 (6616 views)
Shortcut

calls, at this point, are probably not likely. there's still about three weeks to go based on last year. also, each genre is different here at brown (and like most programs). ALTHOUGH, i just remembered speaking to someone who knows of a fiction candidate who has already been notified. if you're a poet you'll most likely be notified by e-mail first. but who knows? the waiting sucks, i remember! hang in there.

*Dies a little inside*

PJwave1

Feb 24, 2009, 7:47 PM

Post #237 of 351 (6583 views)
Shortcut

thank you for the insight.

i'm quite pissed that I missed a reading he gave here in Boston last week. I would have loved to hear the man talk about his work. It's funny, but I work with a former BYU faculty member (public health, not writing) and have been dying to ask him what he thinks about Altmann's Tongue.

I'm salivating from the idea of studying under the man for a couple years.

Pardon the imposition, but put in a good word for me. HA! Just kidding, of course. But seriously, yes, please do.

All kidding aside, how does the funding hold up in terms of living expenses in Providence? The disparity in rent between Boston and Providence is astounding, but I wonder how feasible it is to do the MFA without a job.

bunnytutu

Feb 24, 2009, 8:45 PM

Post #238 of 351 (6547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PJwave1] mysterious call Can't Post

so the money is pretty great. living expenses are really not all that bad although finding a place that includes heating is a must! i work on the weekends at a dinky job, but that happens to be somewhat by choice. no one else seems to work. having a roommate, like anywhere else, is going to make things all the better. the whole reason, and you will be reminded of this if you do get in, for the money is so you have TIME to WRITE.

i'll do what i can pjwave1 :)

and germericanqt, hang in there. i doubt all five have been notified.

PJwave1

Feb 25, 2009, 11:57 AM

Post #239 of 351 (6450 views)
Shortcut

had a dream last night that i received an acceptance letter! woo hoo! then after closely revisiting each line of the letter, i discovered that it was a mistake and it was meant to go to someone else. talk about fleeting ecstasy.

i also had a dream a while back that my fiance and I had tea with Evenson and Joyce Carol Oates in a beautiful room in a building I have never visited.

damn the subconscious mind. most often a blessing for us creative folks, but in times like these, a horrid beast!

swiviol

Feb 26, 2009, 12:24 PM

Post #240 of 351 (6321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [germericanqt] mysterious call Can't Post

Wow ... really? Someone's already been notified?

:( :( :(

I thought I had at least until March to hear from Brown, and also BU, whose deadline is 3/1.

bonethugzz

Mar 3, 2009, 10:53 AM

Post #241 of 351 (6184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [swiviol] mysterious call Can't Post

C'mon! Someone must have some firsthand story of acceptance! Quit holdin' out on us! Is there a gag order or something? You don't have a responsibility to the school in this matter. You have a responsibility to us, THE PEOPLE!

bunnytutu

Mar 5, 2009, 8:38 PM

Post #242 of 351 (6053 views)
Shortcut
uptake Can't Post

i know most of ya are all worried about the Iowa (btw they still rock some old school office stuff there. admissions is the one that changes isis and NOT the poor ol' gals in the WW office) but Brown has made their decisions and they are awaiting approval from the Graduate School (they have the final say).

germericanqt

Mar 5, 2009, 8:42 PM

Post #243 of 351 (6045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bunnytutu] uptake Can't Post

Have they already called all of their top picks, then?

lavventura

Mar 5, 2009, 8:56 PM

Post #244 of 351 (6029 views)
Shortcut

That's exciting, bunny! Thanks for sharing. How do you know this?

PJwave1

Mar 5, 2009, 8:56 PM

Post #245 of 351 (6028 views)
Shortcut

Oh, no! I've waited for this day to come for three months. Now that I lost my hopes of starting a program in the fall, I don't want to hear the inevitable news.

Hey, the odds are better than winning the lottery, right? That's what I keep telling myself.

swiviol

Mar 5, 2009, 10:00 PM

Post #246 of 351 (5981 views)
Shortcut

Bunny, where are you getting your info from?

And Brown only accepts about 5 people for fiction, right?

bunnytutu

Mar 6, 2009, 12:40 AM

Post #247 of 351 (5931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [swiviol] uptake Can't Post

my info? well, i'm here! a first year poet. and i just happened to ask in order to maybe be a bit helpful. and yes, 5 only in each genre (fiction and poetry) and then 1 electronic writer and 2 or so in playwriting. good luck!

oh and about iowa? went there as an undergrad and some grad classes too. (and no snarking please. it's actually pretty unusual for an iowa affiliate to get into this program)

(This post was edited by bunnytutu on Mar 6, 2009, 12:48 AM)

Khalilah

Mar 6, 2009, 12:56 AM

Post #248 of 351 (5923 views)
Shortcut

So should we expect that calls will go out from Brown starting this weekend?

bunnytutu

Mar 6, 2009, 11:40 AM

Post #249 of 351 (5850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khalilah] uptake Can't Post

good question but i doubt it. most likely this time they are awaiting the approval of the grad school before making contact. that may take a week. so soon (though if you're waiting a week is not soon enough).

i just asked to make sure. things are busy in the office so who knows
if i'll hear back today.

bunnytutu

Mar 6, 2009, 12:38 PM

Post #250 of 351 (5801 views)
Shortcut

just got my answer. notifications should go out in a "couple" of weeks.

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved