Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Boston University
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
138642 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

BarlArten

Mar 20, 2007, 12:19 PM

Post #26 of 67 (4592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrsriley72] Boston University? Can't Post

I attended the program a few years ago (fiction), and I didn't get my acceptance call until April 2nd.

Ron_in

Jun 6, 2008, 6:48 AM

Post #27 of 67 (4425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BarlArten] Boston University? Can't Post

In Reply To
I attended the program a few years ago (fiction), and I didn't get my acceptance call until April 2nd.

Hey,

I can see this is a very old thread. What happened to all the lively discussions here? Anyone there? I had a few questions to ask! Really need your help!

AK

februarystar27

Jun 9, 2008, 9:10 AM

Post #28 of 67 (4320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron_in] Boston University? Can't Post

I have no insight into the program itself (I'm on the waitlist for playwriting... I only applied to five schools and BU's the only glimmer of hope I have left for starting school next year), but I'm from Boston so if you have any questions about the city itself I'd be happy to share any info I have with you. Also, if anyone knows anything about the playwriting program or even when they tend to notify waitlisters I'd love to hear what you have to say. Even if a spot doesn't open up for me this year, I'll most likely keep them on my 2009 list since they responded at least somewhat positively this year.

Ron_in

Jun 9, 2008, 3:35 PM

Post #29 of 67 (4274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [februarystar27] Boston University? Can't Post

In Reply To
I have no insight into the program itself (I'm on the waitlist for playwriting...

You will have an amazing time in Boston, wish you all the best. Derek Walcott is there and I have read that he brings actors to the class to perform his plays and explain. I have no questions about the city now, wanted to know about the fiction writing program. I read the profiles of the teacher, would have liked to know more about them.

Also, i have been trying to email Matt Yost here : crwr@bu.edu , but all my mails are bouncing. I dont know about any other id where I can get in touch with the Boston people!

oenologist

Jun 9, 2008, 6:00 PM

Post #30 of 67 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Hey all -- I'll be going to BU next year for playwrighting, anyone else? Febstar have you heard yet??

The only problem is that funding is not that much as I'd hoped -- does anyone know of any other scholarships? I keep finding the most idiotic ones scattered throughout the internet (take a photo of your shoe scholarship? wtf??)

best,
-c

februarystar27

Jun 10, 2008, 10:58 AM

Post #31 of 67 (4206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oenologist] Boston University? Can't Post

Congrats! I haven't heard anything yet. The letter said they'd tell me "as soon as possible" if a spot opens or when the class is definitely full. When were you notified? I didn't get my waitlist letter until around May 20, which seems kind of late based on when they notified poetry and fiction, so it worries me that I might be way down on the waitlist. Do you know how long they gave the acceptees to decide? I'm not getting my hopes up, but I would really love for it to work out for me this year. Even if it doesn't though, the waitlist letter was really encouraging and gave me a bit more hope for next year.

RaoulDuke
Cobra Cobachi

Jun 10, 2008, 12:47 PM

Post #32 of 67 (4194 views)
Shortcut

Just an interested observer, having been through the waitlist experience myself this season...

I would definitely call and/or email the secretary of the department for some sort of information, if they have any. It won't hurt your chances and it will help ease your mind, at least for a few days. I was definitely the squeaky wheel throughout the waitlist process, and I eventually ended up "getting the oil." Sometimes it really helps to be on a first name basis with the secretary, because they may be more understanding than you would expect.

Good luck though, hope it all turns out well for you!

Rick

februarystar27

Jun 10, 2008, 2:16 PM

Post #33 of 67 (4183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richardkae] Boston University? Can't Post

Thanks Rick... I believe I remember reading your posts on Seth's blog, so I'm happy that the waitlist process worked out for you. I had been afraid to contact the department because I didn't want to rub them the wrong way and come off as annoying, so it's good to hear that they probably wouldn't take it that way. Then again, as mentioned a few posts back, the crwr@bu address seems to be bouncing back emails, and I tend to turn into a nervous stammering mess on the phone. It can't hurt to try an email though I guess and consider getting up the nerve to call if it bounces back. Thanks for the advice and the encouragement!

februarystar27

Jun 10, 2008, 2:44 PM

Post #34 of 67 (4176 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Also, i have been trying to email Matt Yost here : crwr@bu.edu , but all my mails are bouncing. I dont know about any other id where I can get in touch with the Boston people!

My email to Matt Yost at that address just went through, and he responded within a matter of minutes, so I would give it another shot if you haven't found another way to contact them already. Unfortunately for me, he knew nothing about the status of the playwriting list and recommended that I call Kate Snodgrass at the theater directly. I'd been hoping to avoid using the phone. We'll see if I can feel brave enough to make the call....

Ron_in

Jun 10, 2008, 3:21 PM

Post #35 of 67 (4168 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

My email to Matt Yost at that address just went through, and he responded within a matter of minutes,

Even I'm most comfortable with emails. Ha ha we are writers after all! But if its important, you must go ahead. My best wishes to you. You have to ace it!! In minutes? Thats the fastest I have heard. Most universities I emailed replied back withing 24 hrs. But havent got a reply from John Hopkins writing seminars yet. Sent them an email four days back!

RaoulDuke
Cobra Cobachi

Jun 10, 2008, 4:32 PM

Post #36 of 67 (4154 views)
Shortcut

It's such a strange process, applying to MFA's, because there is so much uncertainty and anxiety over what will help you and what will hurt you. I found the nerve to call programs by hearing about others doing it on PW.org, and I can honestly say that it's the reason I was offered a position in the only program I was given consideration to.

At SIUC, I was on such pleasant terms with the main secretary that after all the positions were filled in the program she said they could offer me a position, though temporarily unfunded. Promise of funding may be coming this year, but certainly the next. Her and I developed such a friendly rapport that she really felt for my anxious situation (and the fact that SIUC is notoriously SLOW in doing anything) that she looked out for me the best she could.

So, perhaps I would have been offered a position regardless of my constant "badgering", but I honestly believe I got that position by being friendly, though persistent, in my requests for additional waitlist information. In summation, I would call them and be as respectful in your nervous stammering as possible. It won't be the first time they received such a call, I can tell you that much.

Good luck to you!

Rick

oenologist

Jun 11, 2008, 1:23 PM

Post #37 of 67 (4099 views)
Shortcut

hey there febstar... I was on the waitinglist and Kate told me on friday last week. I know that she is out of town until tomorrow (thursday) but maybe you could try emailing her?

Hope everything works out! ...

februarystar27

Jun 11, 2008, 1:45 PM

Post #38 of 67 (4093 views)
Shortcut

So there is at least some movement on the waitlist then. That is good to hear. I wonder how long the list is. Did she call or email you with the news? I'll have to try sending her an email tonight when I get home.

februarystar27

Jun 12, 2008, 1:56 PM

Post #39 of 67 (4034 views)
Shortcut

I don't know what to do. I did email Kate last night, and she got back to me this afternoon. So, the deal is that the final candidate accepted their offer while she was away, but she said she'd still love to have me in the class and invited me to join. BUT all the financial aid is gone. There's a chance I could get a TA sort of job with the Fine Arts college that would help me out a bit, and I'd probably move back in with my parents for the year (they live in Somerville, just outside of Boston but kind of far from the BU side of Boston) because then housing would be free. But it's still expensive. I don't know if taking one or two of the literature classes in the summer would cut the cost a bit more for me too, but that could potentially help somewhat. So I don't know what to do from here. I'd hate to turn them down and reapply places next year and wind up with rejections across the board. I also really want to stay in the Northeast because my fiance is starting a PhD program at UMass Amherst in the fall and I'd love to stay within driving distance. Plus BU is only one year so I wouldn't have to live away from him for as long as most other programs. But with him in school and my getting no aid it would really be tough. But thank you to everyone who suggested I email/call, because it definitely did help. :) I at least have an option now, which is more than what I had 24 hours ago.

RaoulDuke
Cobra Cobachi

Jun 12, 2008, 6:21 PM

Post #40 of 67 (4009 views)
Shortcut

Congrats Februarystar, that's not too bad of a deal at all. Personally, I would take it; but keep in mind I don't care about going a couple grand in debt in the name of furthering my academic career. I'm in the same boat as you, with no funding this year but funding promised for the following year. Good luck with your decision making process!

Rick

MarisaLS

Jun 23, 2008, 9:50 PM

Post #41 of 67 (3921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richardkae] Boston University? Can't Post

Hi, I was just reading this thread and it piqued my interest. I am wondering, what is the average age of those who are in the MFA program at BU? I realize the application deadline is passed for this upcoming year but I am thinking of maybe applying for 2009-2010. I would however been like 35 years old at that point. I have an MFA in film/screenwriting from BU from 1998...am still paying off my loans from that. I've applied to Brown, UMass Amherst, and Cornell twice over the past seven years and got rejected...unfortunately I have medical issues that mean i need to stay in the Boston area, and i need to hold down my full-time job (i teach composition). I want to move towards teaching creative writing (I teach now to high schoolers over the summer months...). Many people advise me that I do not need another MFA but that i need to publish in order to be competitive in the university jobmarket, yet I see a lot of the teaching jobs ask for an MFA in poetry or creative writing... just tossing it around in my head. Obviously money and health insurance are huge issues for me and I need to keep most of what I have now intact or it won't work for me. I wonder what kind of path I should take. I feel like I have floundered a bit these past years. Wonder what anyone thinks...thanks...

(This post was edited by MarisaLS on Jun 23, 2008, 9:54 PM)

swiviol

Mar 26, 2009, 6:17 PM

Post #42 of 67 (3773 views)
Shortcut
BU Can't Post

I emailed them today and got a reply that letters are going out Monday ... do you think that means that acceptance calls are going out over the weekend? Someone on Seth's blog said that they are admitting 10/200 that applied, and they will call if you got in, email if waitlisted, and send a letter if rejected.

Ahhhh!

februarystar27

Mar 27, 2009, 9:11 PM

Post #43 of 67 (3690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [swiviol] BU Can't Post

swiviol, I read that news on Seth's blog too. But I'm playwriting, and I'm guessing that news only applies to fiction, so I've been so anxious about when I'll hear from them. I'm the one a few posts up who had been admitted off the waitlist for playwriting last year. When I couldn't make it work without funding, they let me defer until this year, but I still don't know if there will be any money available. I've been so worried about it because I would really love to make this happen but I'm already so far in debt from my undergrad loans. I'm so nervous... I'd love to hear something this weekend. Good luck to you and all the other fiction applicants (and other playwriting people if there are any of you around) hoping to hear some good news soon, and congrats to those of you poets who have been called already! Hopefully I will be seeing some of you this fall.

swiviol

Mar 28, 2009, 12:22 AM

Post #44 of 67 (3670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [februarystar27] BU Can't Post

Good luck to you as well, w/ funding :).

lowercase

Mar 30, 2009, 10:31 AM

Post #45 of 67 (3600 views)
Shortcut
Re: BU Can't Post

I just got accepted to BU with the choice of either a tuition fellowship or a teaching fellowship in fiction. Are there any current or past students out there who can give me a bit of info on the program and if they taught, what their experience was? I've heard that the one-year can be really intense, and I'm wondering what the faculty support is like on the thesis and basically anything about the program in general. Thanks!

PJwave1

Mar 30, 2009, 10:37 AM

Post #46 of 67 (3593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lowercase] BU Can't Post

lowercase,

Congrats!

did you get accepted yesterday or this morning?

lowercase

Mar 30, 2009, 10:39 AM

Post #47 of 67 (3590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PJwave1] BU Can't Post

I got accepted last night by phone! Leslie Epstein mentioned that they are accepting around 10 fiction students in total.

swiviol

Mar 30, 2009, 11:25 AM

Post #48 of 67 (3567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lowercase] BU Can't Post

Congrats, lowercase!

Someone on TSE got in by phone last night as well, so I am thinking I am rejected :(. That only leaves American ...

flergenderg

Mar 30, 2009, 2:06 PM

Post #49 of 67 (3514 views)
Shortcut

I hear ya swiviol--no acceptance here. I'm out of schools; all rejections. Maybe I'll see you folks next year. Good luck.

Chess

Mar 30, 2009, 9:47 PM

Post #50 of 67 (3443 views)
Shortcut

Does anyone know whether all the applicants who have been accepted/waitlisted have been notified already? I haven't heard anything and it makes me sad.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved