Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Application Time
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
137759 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

Aubrie

Oct 25, 2006, 2:12 PM

Post #176 of 1175 (11863 views)
Shortcut
Iowa Application Can't Post

I'm confusing myself. This question is intended for anyone else out there applying to Iowa.

Do you have to send your transcripts both to Dey House and the grad school? And same for the GREs? Do each places get an application, or can I assume that one I fill out online gets to both?

Do these two places communicate enough so that the GREs I sent to institute 6681 Dept 2503 will be distributed to both?

Argh.

Elika619

Oct 30, 2006, 11:33 AM

Post #177 of 1175 (11779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aubrie] Iowa Application Can't Post

Hey Aubrie...Yes, you have to send one set to the Dey House and one set to the Grad School. Also, here's a question for you (or for anyone). When ordering my transcripts, I want to order them unsealed from the registrar so I can see what my final GPA was (I have a vague idea but don't know specifically.) Lots of the applications ask you to list your GPA. However, I don't know if the grad schools want your transcripts sealed by the registrar. Any thoughts?

laughingman

Oct 30, 2006, 11:46 AM

Post #178 of 1175 (11777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Elika619] Iowa Application Can't Post

At my school they stamp it "issued to student" if they don't seal it and send it themselves. I think there's some concern you may tamper with it otherwise. I went ahead and had them send my transcripts sealed and paid the five dollars to get an extra "issued to student" copy of my own so I'd have a record of my GPA, major GPA, GPA in the last two semesters, etc.

In Reply To
Hey Aubrie...Yes, you have to send one set to the Dey House and one set to the Grad School. Also, here's a question for you (or for anyone). When ordering my transcripts, I want to order them unsealed from the registrar so I can see what my final GPA was (I have a vague idea but don't know specifically.) Lots of the applications ask you to list your GPA. However, I don't know if the grad schools want your transcripts sealed by the registrar. Any thoughts?

Elika619

Oct 30, 2006, 12:07 PM

Post #179 of 1175 (11773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [laughingman] Iowa Application Can't Post

Thanks Laugher. I think that's what I'll do. However, I think I will have them mail me official sealed envelopes, and then I will just mail them myself to the grad schools, in their appropriate packets. Hopefully that should be fine. (I'm applying to 12 schools...it's getting EXPENSIVE!!!)

Glinda Bamboo

Oct 30, 2006, 1:00 PM

Post #180 of 1175 (11756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aubrie] Iowa Application Can't Post

I sent my GRE scores to Iowa once, and I don't intend to do it again. :) I think the scores were sent to the creative writing program. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think schools ask for you to send you GRE scores twice. At $15 a pop (coughcoughRIPOFFcoughcough) that seems ridiculous. So I sent it once and I assume that's good.

Aubrie

Oct 31, 2006, 10:24 AM

Post #181 of 1175 (11709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Elika619] Iowa Application Can't Post

Hey Elika619 - thanks for the info on Iowa. I figured so much. About the the transcripts - I'm not sure how your school handles it, but when I get into my undergrad's online database to request transcripts, there's a link where I can look at my "unofficial" transcript. Perhaps your school also has the same?

Aubrie

Oct 31, 2006, 3:43 PM

Post #182 of 1175 (11678 views)
Shortcut
Wheee! Can't Post

All my recs are out, in the hands of three people that I really trust. GREs have (hopefully, if ETS has their shit together) been sent to the respective schools. SOP is slowly shaping up. Have a big fat pile of transcripts on my desk ready to be sent out. Manuscript going to workshop tomorrow.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere.

How's everyone else doing?

Elika619

Oct 31, 2006, 6:19 PM

Post #183 of 1175 (11662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aubrie] Wheee! Can't Post

Hey Aubrie...that's pretty much exactly where I am. I have LORs in from one person, and am waiting to get them back from two others. I have a pile of transcripts on my desk (and am waiting on another set from some graduate courses I took a few years ago.) Also, am hoping that ETS will be mailing out my GRE scores too. SOP has yet to be written, and have revised one story and am working on the second. Whew!!! What is your list of schools again??

renapoo

Nov 1, 2006, 1:20 AM

Post #184 of 1175 (11626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Elika619] Wheee! Can't Post

Just a word of warning to y'all-- Keep a close watch on your GRES. For me, ETS forgot to send part of them out the first time, then resent them (at no extra cost to me, to their credit), and then mis-sent one of them to the wrong school. Annoying, yes.

Elika619

Nov 1, 2006, 8:17 AM

Post #185 of 1175 (11616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [renapoo] Wheee! Can't Post

Wow, that IS annoying. How did you know that they messed up? Did the send a copy to your house?

v1ctorya

Nov 1, 2006, 9:46 AM

Post #186 of 1175 (11608 views)
Shortcut

Wow, that is weird, especially since when I talked to schools they get them all by e-mail about every two weeks a batch comes through. The 15$ fee really sucks when realizing it's to pay someone to click and send.

renapoo

Nov 1, 2006, 11:12 AM

Post #187 of 1175 (11589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Elika619] Wheee! Can't Post

In Reply To
Wow, that IS annoying. How did you know that they messed up? Did the send a copy to your house?

yeah, they send a copy straight to you.

Aubrie

Nov 6, 2006, 12:05 PM

Post #188 of 1175 (11498 views)
Shortcut

Anyone applying to University of Minnesota?
I have a couple of specific Q's, so send me a PM if you are!

BridgetB

Nov 6, 2006, 1:02 PM

Post #189 of 1175 (11480 views)
Shortcut
Publications? Can't Post

Quick question about MFA applications and publications. I've applied (and been rejected) by my top choice MFA program two times in the past ten years. However, since the last time I applied (two years ago), I've had two stories accepted for publication in decently ranked (third or forth tier on the lists I've seen on this board) lit mags. I hope that this will make me a more attractive applicant this time around. Any idea how much publications count when it comes to MFA acceptance?

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2006, 1:41 PM

Post #190 of 1175 (11475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BridgetB] Publications? Can't Post

Well, they won't know your stories are published unless they like them enough to read your statement of purpose, where I guess you'll mention such things, correct?

On the other hand, no matter what programs say (the standard line is, We care about quality, not publications!) they all strike me as a bit like Beowulf, always running around with their heads cut off, trying to scoop up fame and carry it away in their little animal hide bags. Your pubs might bring a wee bit more fame to a program, and that certainly carries influence, no matter how small.

six five four three two one 0 ->

Aubrie

Nov 9, 2006, 2:42 PM

Post #191 of 1175 (11394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Junior Maas] Publications? Can't Post

Has anyone else had to request extra GRE scores? I sent the paper forms in the mail what feels like ages ago, and I haven't seen the charges on my credit card. Does anyone remember about how long it takes for ETS to process your request? I'm getting paranoid here. Also, do they send you some sort of confirmation that they've sent the scores, or do you just have faith that they did?!?!?!

Hating this whole process.
Feel like I'm wasting valuable nervous energy on trivial things, instead of editing and re-editing (and then editing maybe one more time) my manuscript.

Elika619

Nov 10, 2006, 11:09 AM

Post #192 of 1175 (11342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aubrie] Publications? Can't Post

Aubrie, I totally feel your pain. I ordered my GRE scores over the phone, and I got them in the mail about a week later. No confirmation came that they had sent them--they just came. I'll tell you what I'm worrying about (instead of focusing on my writing!)...I sent away for my transcripts two weeks ago by mail, and I've heard nothing. My check hasn't cleared, so I don't even know if they are working on it. So frustrating!!

Aubrie

Nov 16, 2006, 3:56 PM

Post #193 of 1175 (11233 views)
Shortcut
Minnesota Applicants Can't Post

For those applying to Minnesota -

On the MFA page, there is a list of necessary application materials (man, I almost said "ingredients") that seems pretty standard. However, when you go to the link for the English Dept., there are more "ingredients" like an English GPA calculation sheet, etc. Do you think we are responsible for providing these items, or are they only for the English MA students?

laughingman

Nov 16, 2006, 6:01 PM

Post #194 of 1175 (11213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aubrie] Minnesota Applicants Can't Post

Aubrie- I'm planning to include all of those "ingredients," unless they are qualified by "for MA/PHD applicants, only."

In other news, I finally finished distributing my LoRs to my writers, today, and dropped in at the registrar's office at my old school to take care of my transcripts. The online applications are filled out but have yet to be submitted. I ordered my GRE scores yesterday and now all that remains is cleaning up my SoP and finishing my writing samples (gulp).

Since I know you're all dying to know: My final list, in chronological, deadline-date order, is as follows:

Cornell
Minnesota
Syracuse
Virginia
Montana
Iowa Writer's Workshop
Washington U in St Louis
Alabama
Amherst
Indiana
Michener Center, Austin
Oregon (Eugene)
Arkansas
Idaho at Moscow
Purdue

vronsky

Nov 16, 2006, 6:31 PM

Post #195 of 1175 (11201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aubrie] Minnesota Applicants Can't Post

Yeah, I'm including the GPA calculation sheet.

bighark

Nov 16, 2006, 6:37 PM

Post #196 of 1175 (11198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maggiekate] Minnesota Applicants Can't Post

After ruining about a ream's worth of grade sheets on previous applications, I made a MS Word version. You're welcome to use mine.
Attachments: MN Grade Sheet.doc (35.0 KB)

jargreen

Nov 17, 2006, 5:21 PM

Post #197 of 1175 (11131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BridgetB] Publications? Can't Post

My understanding is that, as ludicrous as it sounds, publications don't mean much to a reviewer. The decision depends almost entirely on your writing sample. But if your writing sample is good enough to be published, then surely a decent program will embrace you.

jargreen

Nov 17, 2006, 5:42 PM

Post #198 of 1175 (11116 views)
Shortcut
Writing Sample Can't Post

Hello Writers,

I'm new to the forum and curious about everyone's writing samples. Are you finished writing/revising them yet? How many stories are you sending? Does it look as though you'll stay within the page length limits? Are you sending your favorite work, or that judged to be the best by your fellow writers? Do you trust your fellow writers? How do they really know who you are and what you're trying to do in your writing anyway? Will you be sending the same piece(s) to every school, or does mixing it up calm your nerves?

Nervously,
Ryan

laughingman

Nov 17, 2006, 6:05 PM

Post #199 of 1175 (11617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jargreen] Publications? Can't Post

My sense of the process is that if you don't pique their interest with your writing sample, they probably won't bother to read the rest of your application and realize that you're published. After you make the first cut, though, and they start reading the rest of your app, I'm sure those publications will weigh favorably for you. Just my speculation.

In Reply To
My understanding is that, as ludicrous as it sounds, publications don't mean much to a reviewer. The decision depends almost entirely on your writing sample. But if your writing sample is good enough to be published, then surely a decent program will embrace you.

jargreen

Nov 17, 2006, 6:29 PM

Post #200 of 1175 (11615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [laughingman] Publications? Can't Post

I'm sure each reviewer is different. If I were reviewing applicants, I would consider all the "ingredients." Of course, when you have a hundred or so files to review at the beginning of the spring semester, those applications and resumes may begin to be a blur. The stories are what writers truly love to evaluate.

I'm finishing up my undergrad work at a school that has a top-five writing program (according to Tom Kealey), and two professors I've spoken to extensively have very different criteria. One takes a close look at all materials an applicant submits, while the other considers even the recommendation letters a formality.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved