Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Application Time
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
135893 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

SweetJane

Sep 28, 2006, 7:04 PM

Post #151 of 1175 (8825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Glinda Bamboo] sealed envelopes Can't Post

I'm 90% sure I didn't screw up this part at least! I think they just meant that the prof has to seal the envelope (lick it, etc) and sign across the flap. It would be awesome, though, if they meant that they had to use old school sealing wax!!

SJ

"Oh, all the poets they studied rules of verse
and those ladies, they rolled their eyes"

renapoo

Sep 28, 2006, 9:15 PM

Post #152 of 1175 (8810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SweetJane] I'm an idiot Can't Post

Hm...I just looked at Michener's website (UT Austin) and they say they want All transcripts, even for extension classes. And they say it in BIG RED INK. Crap!

I guess I'll post what I find out for the schools I'm applying to, besides the ones SweetJane's already contacted...I'm still not bothering for the college class I took in high school, though. It was only a dance class, and besides, these programs aren't asking for my high school transcripts.

HopperFu

Sep 28, 2006, 9:33 PM

Post #153 of 1175 (8808 views)
Shortcut

I'm 100% sure. They just mean that the person sending the letter should close the envelope (i.e., seal it), and then sign their name so that it overlaps where it opens, thus supposedly making it difficult for you to conduct monkey business.
Though I agree that a good old medieval wax seal would be kind of cool.

blueragtop

Sep 28, 2006, 11:51 PM

Post #154 of 1175 (8795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HopperFu] sealed envelopes Can't Post

I haven't taken the GRE. How long does it take the scores to be sent? I want to take the exam in late October, so I can prepare for a bit longer. Is that too late?

Aubrie

Sep 29, 2006, 12:15 AM

Post #155 of 1175 (8792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melos] sealed envelopes Can't Post

I took mine at the end of November last year and didn't have any problems with deadlines. (you can breath a sigh of relief now)
Good luck!

blueragtop

Sep 29, 2006, 12:21 AM

Post #156 of 1175 (8789 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by melos

GDClark
George David Clark

Sep 29, 2006, 12:24 AM

Post #157 of 1175 (8788 views)
Shortcut

Melos,

I took the GRE around the first of August last year and had plenty of time to get the scores out, at least a month or two. You should be fine taking it at the end of the month.

Good luck.

renapoo

Sep 29, 2006, 2:23 AM

Post #158 of 1175 (8777 views)
Shortcut

This is off topic, but what's the deal with livejournal? Where do people hang out? Is there a good place for sharing work? (I'm a fiction writer, getting my shorts prepped for the big MFA push in december). I've been to the zoetrope site, but that place is a little desperate and/or impersonal for me.

wilmabluekitty
Wilma Weant Dague

Sep 29, 2006, 7:51 AM

Post #159 of 1175 (8769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [renapoo] sealed envelopes Can't Post

In Reply To
This is off topic, but what's the deal with livejournal? Where do people hang out? Is there a good place for sharing work? (I'm a fiction writer, getting my shorts prepped for the big MFA push in december). I've been to the zoetrope site, but that place is a little desperate and/or impersonal for me.

Zoetrope's a little hard to get acclimated to, but once you do, it's the best workshop for fiction I've seen. There are some very fine writers and critters there though you have to plow through some dreck to find them.

You might also try the IWW workshops(they work through email) which are more intimate.

SweetJane

Sep 29, 2006, 9:02 AM

Post #160 of 1175 (8763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [renapoo] I'm an idiot Can't Post

I decided to go ahead and e-mail all of the program directors to get the official report. I've also started pouring over the instructions a little more carefully. Word from Washington (Seattle) is that they want everything, including the high school community college transcripts. Here's what they said:

Hi Phoebe, Most people send us their community colllege transcripts as
well. We want a full record of your previous academic experience so
unless there is some reason why it's difficult to procure, the committee
would like to have those community college transcripts.

Also, I've found that University of Oregon has two different transcripts requirements--the Admissions Office asks for transcripts from colleges that you graduated from, but the Creative Writing Program wants transcripts from every college you've attended.

I'll continue to update you guys with official reports, although at this point, I'm thinking that it's safest for everyone to send everything, unless the program specifies otherwise (as in the case of Oregon or New Hampshire).

In Reply To
Hm...I just looked at Michener's website (UT Austin) and they say they want All transcripts, even for extension classes. And they say it in BIG RED INK. Crap!

I guess I'll post what I find out for the schools I'm applying to, besides the ones SweetJane's already contacted...I'm still not bothering for the college class I took in high school, though. It was only a dance class, and besides, these programs aren't asking for my high school transcripts.

SJ

SweetJane

Sep 29, 2006, 10:33 AM

Post #161 of 1175 (8752 views)
Shortcut

Wisconsin's answer:

"Your questions was referred to the Graduate School for a response.
Because need to see individual transcripts, and because we are unable to
count any transferred courses from another university to your
undergraduate transcript, the Graduate School requests that you send
original transcripts for each school attended."

So . . . they need to see individual transcripts, because they need to see individual transcripts. The logic isn't great, but there you go.

SJ

Glinda Bamboo

Sep 29, 2006, 1:20 PM

Post #162 of 1175 (8723 views)
Shortcut
Re: transcripts Can't Post

Thanks to all those posting the transcript research. This thread reminded me of the distance learning advanced fiction class I took from Iowa several years ago. I hadn't even considered including that transcript, but now I realize that since it was a for-credit class, it counts. But this news stinks because my undergrad transcripts are completely free (I know; how lucky am I?) but the Iowa transcripts will be $12 a pop. And I'm applying to 10 schools! I will probably contact all the schools and see if they really need this transcript.

At the least, I'm glad I wised up because isn't Iowa one of the schools that is adamant about receiving all transcripts? Since this was an Iowa class (albeit distance learning), they could probably tell by my social security number or something that I took it, and would know I didn't not include all my transcripts if it wasn't in my application.

I wonder if they still charge the $12 for sending the transcript back to themselves when I apply to Iowa? :)

Art
Arthur J. Stewart

Sep 29, 2006, 3:19 PM

Post #163 of 1175 (8713 views)
Shortcut

It means, lick'em, close'm, and sign'em across the sealed back-flap place, such that the signature is on both parts of the envelope (i.e., the flap part and the part to which the flap is stuck).

sibyline

Sep 29, 2006, 6:10 PM

Post #164 of 1175 (8689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [muttonfish] dilatory Can't Post

In Reply To
Applying earlier or later, does it make a difference? Most applications are due around mid-January. If I apply in December do I suffer any less change of being accepted as opposed to applying now. Thanks

i wouldn't necessarily recommend doing this but i hate bureaucracy and as a result have problems missing deadlines whenever paperwork is involved. without exception, all my applications last year were between a day and a week late.

no idea whether it made a difference at the schools i wasn't accepted. but i know that hopperfu applied to cornell pretty early and we're both here. cornell's deadline was dec. 15 and i mailed mine a few days later saying to myself, "no way they're going to read anything before winter break." then i got a call from a faculty member on feb. 10th, in which she said specifically that they look at the apps before the break. i bet there was some nice administrator who took pity on my application.

wilmabluekitty
Wilma Weant Dague

Sep 29, 2006, 8:11 PM

Post #165 of 1175 (8678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sibyline] dilatory Can't Post

no idea whether it made a difference at the schools i wasn't accepted. but i know that hopperfu applied to cornell pretty early and we're both here.

What's it like at Cornell? Is everyone under 25? Are you in fiction or poetry?

renapoo

Sep 29, 2006, 10:34 PM

Post #166 of 1175 (8668 views)
Shortcut

Transcripts! Here's what I found out:

Cornell: “Please plan to send official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended, unless the classes taken were in no way related to your degree or to your application for the MFA.”

Michigan: ( I think they were confused about my question): "No we don't need those because they go toward highschool credit)

NYU: “We'll need 2 copies of original transcripts from each college you attended where the credits you received contribute to your final degree. If, however, your final transcript from the school you graduated from has those transfer credits, or abroad credits, etc. listed on it, then you'll just need originals of that final transcript.”

UMASS: “You only need to submit your college transcripts where you earned an
undergraduate degree or studied toward a degree.”

Judging from the websites/online applications at JHU, Iowa, Irvine, UVA, Michener, and Indiana, I'm assuming they want all transcripts from all classes ever taken, but if anybody wants to contact them and make sure, be my guest!

SweetJane

Sep 30, 2006, 9:43 AM

Post #167 of 1175 (8652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [renapoo] I'm an idiot Can't Post

Montana and Virginia have both said that just the undergrad is fine. Which brings my count up to:

Montana, Virginia, New Hampshire--just undergrad

Washington (Seattle), Wisconsin, Iowa--want everything

Oregon--the admissions office just wants the transcripts of where you've graduated from, but the Creative Writing Department wants everything.

Still no word from University of Florida, either by phone or by e-mail. Honestly, that kind of administrative problems make me feel less inclined to go to a school; I had enough red tape runaround as an undergrad!

SJ

sibyline

Sep 30, 2006, 10:59 AM

Post #168 of 1175 (8646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wilmabluekitty] dilatory Can't Post

cornell's great. our class ranges in age from 20 (actually, she turns 21 today) to 40 so it's a nice mix agewise. i'm in fiction. no major complaints so far. i've been getting great feedback, which is really shifting the direction of my work in an exciting way.

Glinda Bamboo

Oct 2, 2006, 12:40 PM

Post #169 of 1175 (8593 views)
Shortcut

Hi SweetJane,

First you said that UVA wanted all transcripts, but then you said they only wanted undergrad. Just curious whether you can clarify...and hopefully save me $12. :)

Thanks.

SweetJane

Oct 2, 2006, 12:44 PM

Post #170 of 1175 (8591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Glinda Bamboo] I'm an idiot Can't Post

The Graduate Admissions office recommended sending all transcripts, but the department said that just the undergrad transcripts would be fine. Since the Admissions office said that they'd just be forwarding whatever they got to the department, I'm going with the word of the department.

SJ

Yugao

Oct 2, 2006, 1:05 PM

Post #171 of 1175 (8587 views)
Shortcut

I wasn't intending to send transcripts for any non-degree courses. I'm taking a writing class at my local college now, but only as continuing education. The class will still be ongoing when I apply anyway. I never would have thought that a transcript to show the grade for one non-credit course would have to be sent. I already have to pay $10 each for my undergrad transcripts and some schools are requesting two official copies. Please, I hope I am misunderstanding this.

SweetJane

Oct 2, 2006, 2:12 PM

Post #172 of 1175 (8576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yugao] I'm an idiot Can't Post

If it's a non-credit course that you're taking after your undergrad, it doesn't seem to me that there would be any need to send those transcripts as well--after all, they have no way of knowing that you took the class. The issue was for those of us who took coursework unrelated to our degree, but which transferred for college credit to our undergraduate institutions.

SJ

Yugao

Oct 2, 2006, 3:41 PM

Post #173 of 1175 (8562 views)
Shortcut

Thank you. That makes sense.

renapoo

Oct 2, 2006, 9:58 PM

Post #174 of 1175 (9507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yugao] I'm an idiot Can't Post

Actually, my issue is that I took extension courses after undergrad, non-degree related, and didn't think anybody would want to see those transcripts. But apparently, some schools do.

Glinda Bamboo

Oct 3, 2006, 10:42 AM

Post #175 of 1175 (9482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [renapoo] fun with transcripts Can't Post

I'm in a similar situation: I had already earned my BA from institution #1, and then a year later I took a (for-credit) extension course from institution #2. I did earn credit for the extension course, even though I already had my degree.

Some schools have asked for that additional transcript, and some schools aren't worried about it. I guess you need to ask. And since my extension course was in creative writing, it definitely relates to an MFA...so that may be why some schools want to see it. Right now my tally is: 6 schools want the transcript, and three schools don't need it (four if I count UVA).

I assume it's not necessary to produce transcripts for non-credit work.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved