Reports to: Associate Director/Director of Content
The Multimedia Producer works within the web department and has responsibility for developing, producing, and maintaining content, with a lead emphasis on multimedia, for the Academy of American Poets. This position produces new audio and video content and maintains the organization’s collections of video, digital photographs, and historic and new recordings. This position also contributes to the development and distribution of content on the award-winning website Poets.org, in electronic e-newsletters, and via social media platforms.
- Record audio and video of Academy readings, panel discussions, and other events; maintain a/v equipment.
- Regularly produce and publish videos, audio, graphics, PDFs, slide shows, and other user-aligned new multimedia content.
- Implement SEO best practices for metadata prior to publication, ensuring content is appropriately titled and tagged.
- Select recordings from the Academy’s archives to be re-mastered for distribution. Act as a liaison to multimedia service providers and work to expand a/v content through ongoing partnerships.
- Develop strategies for distribution of multimedia content on social/web/mobile platforms. Make best use of newer technologies; manage audio and video streaming.
- Manage images on the website and in the image database.
- Collaborate with the editorial team on the planning and development of new features and content, including the online components of core programs (National Poetry Month, Poem-A-Day, etc.).
- Help ensure that all content is current, accurate, visually compelling, and adheres to the organization’s editorial standards and guidelines.
- Produce content (in addition to multimedia) for Poets.org, including biographies and special features, as assigned.
- Contribute to the execution of the twice-monthly e-newsletter.
- Distribute content and engage users via select social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr.
Archives & Records
- Coordinate onsite and vendor-managed database of multimedia material.
- Maintain the Academy’s collection of audio recordings, videos, and digital photographs.
- Collaborate to secure permissions for solicited material on the website and maintain records in well-organized filing system.
- Minimum B.F.A./B.A. degree (or equivalent), M.F.A. preferred; thorough knowledge of contempo- rary poetry essential.
- 1-3 years experience in producing audio/video content for the web.
- Knowledge of audio/sound/recording engineering.
- Strong image-editing experience, knowledge of Photoshop, Adobe Creative Suite.
- Impeccable skills writing and editing for the web; solid understanding of SEO.
- Fluency in HTML. Experience working with content management systems; Drupal experience a plus.
- Facility working with social media platforms.
- Strong working knowledge of web standards, coding best practices, and accessibility standards.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to multitask, prioritize time and workload, and meet deadlines. Excellent interpersonal skills; endless creativity and motivation.
Please email or send a cover letter and resumé to Mary Gannon, Associate Director/Director of Content, Academy of American Poets, 75 Maiden Lane, Suite 901, New York, NY 10038. email@example.com.