PEN American Center (www.pen.org), the largest branch of the world's oldest literary and human rights organization, is seeking a highly motivated, detail-oriented Associate Web Editor for full-time work on the PEN.org web site. Join a creative group of professionals committed to advancing literature, defending free expression, and fostering international literary fellowship. Reporting to the web site editor and working with other PEN staff, candidate will manage and maintain all aspects of the PEN web site and other duties as assigned. Responsibilities will include:
- - Maintain publishing calendars for regular literary content, podcasts, member publications, and events for The Daily PEN American blog.
- - Liaise with guest editors and bloggers and integrate contributions into publishing calendar.
- - Maintain extensive content archive including audio, video, photo, fiction, nonfiction, poetry, author profiles, literary awards and winner’s lists, and press releases.
- - Coordinate social media efforts, write original copy/posts.
- - Train and manage between two and five interns to help produce and maintain PEN’s web content and social media presence.
- - Analyze and review social media trends, reports, and analytics across all platforms.
- - Coordinate and produce all e-mail publications, including: monthly PEN newsletter, events newsletters, member committee announcements, monthly Grants & Awards mailings, weekly Poetry Series mailings, and PEN World Voices Festival announcements.
- - Work with web site editor to select work; secure rights and permissions; produce author interviews; and manage online forums.
- - Attend PEN events to help coordinate/record audio and video content for the web site; edit and optimize audio/video content for the web site.
- - Coordinate production of annual PEN World Voices Festival web site and accompanying literary and multimedia content.
- - Administrative support as necessary.
- - Excellent written and verbal skills.
- - Editing and/or copyediting experience; proofreading skills; obsessive attention to detail
- - Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple simultaneous projects from development to completion.
- - Familiarity with online literary communities, news, and publications—e.g. literary and activist organizations, publications, blogs, news sites, etc.
- - Strong knowledge of HTML, Outlook, Word, Excel is mandatory; knowledge of social media platforms, Adobe Creative Suite, and audio and video editing software is required; familiarity with WordPress and Drupal a plus.
- - Must have prior editorial and copyediting experience.
- - Strong knowledge of contemporary literature and authors a must.
- - Attention to detail and experience managing multiple projects at once on tight deadlines mandatory.
PEN is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.